XztatiK
Years ago

More Public Courts!

I just rented the new NBA Street game the other day and seeing the amount of people who start playing basketball on Street courts convinced me there should be more public courts in Adelaide, and not these little courts we have now where the ring is 7ft high and you have to walk onto the grass to shoot a 3, im talkin full-courts where real games can be played. It would be great for basketball in this state and would get a lot of new people into basketball if anyone could go to a local court and join in in a pickup game at no cost.

Topic #14334 | Report this topic

bluey  
Years ago

used to play regularly at my old high school but they ended up replacing the rings with ones they removed out of hours, so we couldnt play there any longer

used to be awesome, played for hours

Reply #168637 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Same here, the nights playing at the local school were awesome, until tools damage the rings, then the school takes them down.

Even if you want to shoot around in the city there is not much around...

Reply #168638 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Courts by Vic Park racecourse (on Wakefield Street) are well populated

Reply #168641 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Got something coming for you guys - basketball courts plotted by location and feature. Find courts near you, search for those with nets or lower rings, etc. Will need some help plugging in all the courts though; I figure if a whole bunch of people help enter a few courts each, we can have most of the courts in SA done. End goal is to have every basketball court in the country catalogued.

The sub-app is basically operational now but I want to integrate it into the site revision and release both together.

Reply #168642 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Cheers SVD, at the moment, it is the Adelaide HS courts (when no one is there).

Isaac, that would be sweet! How far off?

Reply #168644 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One day - really isn't that far off. I just need to find the time to finish it all up a bit.

Reply #168645 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

DB5 - it's the CBC courts. Usually a heap of Chinese guys playing there, all doing Iverson cross-overs. Some are OK, most very quick. They can't guard the post though, and are not used to actual defence.

Won't call a foul EVER when guarding you, but will call their own fouls when playing offence. They do play quite hard, so worth a trip down there with a few mates.

Reply #168647 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Thanks thedoctor, might have to get down there for a look. Any of you guys go down there much?

Isaac, I will be hanging to see it when complete..Great idea.

Reply #168653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"DB5 - it's the CBC courts."

Yeah, they use to be closed and the only access was through a cut in the fence you could slide under.

Also, they use to take the rings down for summer and have it stricly as tennis courts.

Since then they are now open all year round, and have even put new rings with chain nets.

Good to see CBC or Adelaide City Council reacting to the change in demand.

Reply #168666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about we support the BSA courts with their social programs, then we might get some funding to make some courts where we can play street ball....

Reply #168668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How about we support the BSA courts with their social programs"

Because they are over priced, full of meat heads who have no idea about the game & refereed poorly.

Reply #168670 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Anon 168668- Surely you are tongue in cheek with your comment about BSA putting money into the community?.
They do not have to fork out for 36ers or Lightning now, but still can't drop admission prices.

Reply #168671 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Do they still charge spectators to watch a social game?

Reply #168672 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

brighton high school have recently upgraded there outdoor courts. always available for use.

and on brighton road, next to rugby club and skate park, there is a full court 8Ft dunk court.

Reply #168683 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Isaac, yes, spectators are still charged. Prices vary from what I've seen up to $3 (SA Church and Social). Best I've seen is the Salvos on Monday nights, who charge $1 a spectator - or sometimes nothing if they're aware the person is doing it tough etc.

Reply #168692 | Report this post

Clint Dogg  
Years ago

LMAO!.

Thats only a "game" that NBA street.

And we here in Australia are not in New york or The Bronx etc where they play streetball allday.

The courts would end up being hang outs 4 derrose and druggos with alot of crappy paintwirk on the walls.

Reply #169250 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Isaac, just curious as to how you were going with your court map? Still a project?

Reply #187255 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, it's operational, just have never put many courts in it, and also, I was planning on getting it up and running as part of the Hoops upgrade that I always talk about and never finish. If anyone wanted to plug some courts in, they're welcome to stick their hand up.

Reply #187256 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Cool, thanks for the response..

What does plugging courts in involve?

Reply #187357 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boring data entry!

Reply #188571 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754