future vision
Years ago

has Norwood got it stitched up?

with state and sasi coaches already - and now vicky valk -

Norwood would have to be pretty confident of being the premier club for junior girls over the next 5 years.

Even if they don't get the players the political clout and coaching resources will have to put them up there.

good luck to them.

Topic #14425 | Report this topic

Flinders 63  
Years ago

stichted up? no.
talented coaches in the right spots? seems like it.
alot of hard work ahead? yes.

Successful clubs arn't born out of talented coaches alone. The successful clubs are those that invest the time.

Getting the right people is one step in the right direction.

Reply #169864 | Report this post

Ha Ha  
Years ago

I a word "NO!" You can't win the Melbourne Cup on a mule. Forestville and Sturt are way too far in front. Not sure exactly how Lightning coach is going to help them at all. And State coaches aren't allowed to recruit and 1 isn't even a junior coach now anyway.

Reply #169865 | Report this post

Flinders 63  
Years ago

Cynical HA HA. You must be from one of the clubs you mentioned, as most other clubs don't rely on 'recuiting' to build a club (especially not in the girls, for example 16 girls).

Having quality coaches, and even lightning coaches enable for player development (and IMO more importantly) coaching development. The more knowledge at a club, every hour invested is going to help more.

Reply #169870 | Report this post

Ha Ha  
Years ago

Flinders 63,

You might want too look at Norwoods U16 girls before you talk about "recruiting". At least 3 girls for their 1/2 squad came from elsewhere. Notably Forestville and Sturt.

Reply #169881 | Report this post

Flinders 63  
Years ago

HA HA - i don't look anywhere for recruiting, i worry about giving the players in my squad the best coaching, advice and support i can. I leave recruiting for those coaches with less faith in their ability than myself.

It will be interesting to see what these coaches do though, whether they use their 'star status' to draw players from other clubs, or they knuckle down and invest time like the successful clubs have done in the past.

Reply #169886 | Report this post

Ha Ha  
Years ago

Flinders 63 - No. You just let other people in your club do that then?

Reply #169888 | Report this post

Results  
Years ago

If I was norwood I would be very careful about talking up their girls program prematurely. Their results in the past 2-3 yrs and their actions off the court have clearly shown they are scraping the bottom of the barrel. Its about the kids... nuckle down and teach your kids to play the game, don't poach, don't let your little egos get in the way of teaching the game and instilling a passion for it and you will find you are getting some success at State Champs, Classics, getting players into National squads etc. which Norwood has failed misurably in the past few years.

What were your results at last years state champs? did you come 5 or 6 or something. Concentrate on getting the job done.

Reply #169891 | Report this post

SquizzyTaylor  
Years ago

Current positions.

U12 girls: 6th
U14 girls: 6th
U16 girls: 5th
U18 girls: 5th
U21 Women: 4th

Answer would be a resounding NO!

Coaching girls state teams are not sought after roles. For the gentlemen involved basketball is their life an it has been over alot of years. THat is great; someone has to do it. Does that mean they are highly intelligent, evolved creatures with outstanding communication and motivational skills - Well I will let the reader decide. In many of these cases it just means they have "earnt their stripes" and these roles tend to self perpetuate within clubs at the moment.

Having coaches in state programs, especially on the girls side, would not neccessarily be a prelude to success, especially in this situation.

Reply #169895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SqizzyTaylor, Some might go so far as to say the state teams have well and truly under performed under present state coaches and are in need of new coaching blood but it will remain a closed shop despite results and the talent available.

Reply #169926 | Report this post

your kid got cut  
Years ago

Of course, those "some" also seem completely unable to name a more suitable candidate for the positions too...

Reply #169954 | Report this post

Dr j  
Years ago

Ha Ha has it right.

If anything it would be a distraction from the club commitments

Reply #169990 | Report this post

Astor 33  
Years ago

"actions off the court have clearly shown they are scraping the bottom of the barrel"

What ('results')are you referring too?

Reply #169991 | Report this post

disciple  
Years ago

there is no doubt having valk closely associated and so many state and sasi coaches - Norwood will only strengthen their status.

Reply #170045 | Report this post

AmatuerHour  
Years ago

Yea you are right. Look at what Jan Stirling did for Forestville's program. You idiot! People in these roles care about basketball in the state. They are hardly going to make sure their own club is successful at the expense of basketball in SA

Reply #170051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

these particular coaches are only interested in their own career progress with their state commitments and not the clubs progress, they are using their position as a stepping stone to better things!!

Reply #170195 | Report this post

Astor 33  
Years ago

LOL.
up to....?

Reply #170199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a few advantages to having state coaches that you don't have to look to far to see what they are but good luck to 'em.
The larger downside is state and SASI coaching has become a small exclusive club that shows no sign of widening its scope in search of more coaches joining the program and because of that mentality it weakens both.
They need to add coaches to their program before the staleness kills it and while present coaches can mentor the newbies. Recycling is not the answer and
having some clubs well and truly over represented and some clubs largely uninvolved, because the exclusive bretheran don't feel others fit the bill, will continue to weaken basketball in this state while the boy's club prospers.

Reply #170473 | Report this post

Ben Gliddon  
Years ago

To the last poster.
Where do you get these ideas from?
Some clubs have more coaches ASK to VOLUNTEER in ITC some clubs have less.
Get out from under your computer and have a conversation with me if you are REALLY interested in joining the "boys club".

Reply #172065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In answer to the question: Yes! Norwood State coaches, Norwood State captains, all that's missing to date is Norwood managers but give it time.

Reply #172204 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:18 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754