TR
Years ago

NH: John Brumby is a *#$(@)

Have a look at this bloke.....

John Brumby.... ****(insert your own word of choice) of the year..

VICTORIAN Premier John Brumby has warned Melburnians they risk living in a "backwater" like Adelaide if Victoria is not allowed to push ahead with a plan to deepen a channel in Port Phillip Bay.

"If you want Melbourne to be a backwater, if you want Melbourne eventually to be an Adelaide - as someone described it the other day - well, don't do this project, and Melbourne will just die a slow death."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23131911-421,00.html

I've lived in both and I'd still take the quality of life in Adelaide over Melbourne.

Topic #14430 | Report this topic

Its true  
Years ago

Melbourne is one of the greatest cities in the world and is without question THE greatest sporting city in the world.

Adelaide is backwards, you can't even put up a grandstand for the states biggest sporting event.

Seriously, Adelaide is the butt of Australia (and jokes) for good reason.

Reply #169947 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

John Brumby will shortly be contacting Isaac to have any reference to his name removed from hoops.com.au.

Other than that, I refuse to get drawn into another Melbourne v Adelaide fight......they just end up in tears.

Reply #169949 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

"without question THE greatest sporting city in the world"

you clearly need help after a comment like that...

Reply #169953 | Report this post

TR - its true  
Years ago

I'll jump in...because how many cities in the world TR:

Hosted an Olympic Games
Hosted a Commonwealth Games
Host a Grand Slam
Host a Grand Prix
Host the AFL grand final
Headquarters to the Australian Football League
Invented Aussie Rules
Largest attendance ever for a Rugby Union game
Largest attendance ever for a Rugby League game
Have the greatest sporting ground in the world - MCG
Have an indoor stadium playing its own hybrid sport
Host the Australian Open Golf

Seriously TR give me another city to compare to?

Reply #169961 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It's true, even you are so very insular in your own little way. On a global scale it is all about economies of scale. How many world cups has Melbourne hosted? Winter olympics? How many premier league soccer teams does Melbourne have? How about NBA/NFL teams? UCI Pro Tour events (even little backwater like us has one of them!) Hell, London is hosting its 3rd Olympics soon, not to mention Commonwealth Games.

Melbourne likes its sport and hosts some great events. But 'THE greatest sporting city in the world', you are pulling yourself.

Per head of capita, it does pretty well I would imagine. But then again, so does Adelaide.

Reply #169966 | Report this post

A elaide 36ers  
Years ago

"Host the AFL grand final
Headquarters to the Australian Football League
Invented Aussie Rules"

You forgot:
Watched seven Grand Finals in the home of Football without a Melbourne based team winning. ( 1 Vic team last year)

Reply #169973 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

You also forget they struggle to fill a 3000 seat netball stadium for basketball

Reply #169989 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'd agree 100% if you said 'greatest sporting capital in Australia', or even 'arguably the sporting capital of the world'.

Greatest sporting ground in the world.... Dare I throw in little ground called Lords in England, or maybe Wembley Stadium. Guess you have never heard of Camp Nou in Barcelona either... How bout the Millennium Stadium????

London is about to host it's 3rd Olympic Games, with 1 that was cancelled due to the WWII. London has also hosted a Commonwealth Games. Melbourne has one Olympic Games and that was before my mother was born. Both Sydney and Brisbane have also hosted a British Empire Games/Commonwealth Games (so nothing special there).

It's not really a big thing to say that the headquarters of the AFL is in Melbourne. AFL evolved from VFL and is hardly a world wide sport. It makes perfect sense to be based in a traditional stronghold.

When Melbourne can create on the WORLD stage clubs the same size and clout as Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal FC then we'll discuss soccer. I won't mention that Barnet, Brentford, Charlton Athletic, Crystal Palace, Dagenham & Redbridge, Leyton Orient, Millwall and Queens Park Rangers (QPR) are all London-based Football clubs.... opps, I didn't mean to type that...

Rugby Union you say.... last time I looked Melbourne didn't have a team in the Super 14... Last time I checked there were 4 London based teams in their top League, namely Harlequins, London Irish, Saracens and Wasps. Melbourne's bid for the fourth Australian Super 14 team failed in 2005.

How bout a little event called Wimbledon....

How bout the London Marathon???

Would I be out of line to suggust that London is discussing a street circuit and have mapped out a circuit for future consideration. I also forget to mention that the Australian F1 race is a complete 'white whale' that the Government are dodging and weaving on. From memory the Adelaide street circuit is/was classed as the best in the world...

Do I mention even crowd numbers for the F1 over the past years???
2007: 301,000
2006: 301,500
2005: 359,000
1996: 401,000

Hell, that would be called a decline in most books...

An indoor stadium.... wow.... I'm impressed, I guess you are talking about Docklands.. I bit embarrasing when the largest crowd there didn't even witness a sporting event... The Catholic Jubilee Mass packed it out with 70,000 people. The Mass even beat Robbie Williams who drew in 66,000 odd.... Tell me why the Melbourne Storm moved back to Olympic Park again after the 2001 season, granted they are playing some games there this season.

Reply #169994 | Report this post

haha  
Years ago

U seem pretty good at "trying" to put melbourne down, yet have not mentioned anything notable which Adelaide has achieved.

by the way telstra dome has seating capacity for 55,000 max. the crowds u mentioned obviously had seating provided on playing surface. Melbourne storm moved cos hardly anyone is interested in rugby, its an afl town, remember we do have 10 teams, how many in adelaide again?

Reply #169998 | Report this post

haha  
Years ago

Dare i say there are more catholics than Robbie Williams fans in Melbourne lol nice

Reply #170001 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Not putting Melbourne down at all, people just need to open their eyes and not make comments like "and is without question THE greatest sporting city in the world".

As I said, if he/she mentioned "and is without question THE greatest sporting city in Australia" I'd support that 100% even "and is without question ONE of THE greatest sporting cities in the world".

Reply #170002 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

Ok i think we all would agree Melbourne is the sporting capital of australia and the southern hemisphere, it could also be argued per population capita in developed countries melbourne is the sporting capital of the world

Reply #170009 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

melbourne is proof that tasmanians can swim
bunch of imbred 2 head wankers

Reply #170026 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

boom patrol i think the chances of imbreds are most likely to be SA rather melbourne which has a population in the millions. So i think you should talk about that with your wife, how is your sister these days?

Reply #170030 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

The vast majority of people who hang shit on Adelaide have never even been there. People can say what they like about it but it's a bloody excellent place to live, no traffic problems of note, big enough to always have new people to meet but small enough to always bump in to someone you know on a night out, free public tennis courts everywhere, great weather, friendly people, hot girls, I could go on but I don't feel I need to, if you've lived there then you know what I mean.

Reply #170044 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The only gripe I have is that relations between the 2 neighbouring states have always been poor. Its pretty reckless for the Premier to come out publicly with comments like that. haha, I'll give you something notable that Adelaide has achieved, it doesn't have an arrogant wanker of a Premier like Melbourne.

Reply #170048 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Apparently Tasmania is in fact getting closer to the mainland each year - and do you know why? Because Victoria sucks!
I am sure our big tough Premier here will sort Mr Brumby out HA!

Reply #170062 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Boom Patrol - classic! And billo, here here.

Melbournians have become the Americans of Australia. Too tunnel-visioned to see out of their little state/country and realise that the world is a very, very big place. It's True's comments lay claim to that.

Granted Melbourne is bigger, business is better etc, but that doesn't make it a better place. It just makes it different. I love Adelaide and always will but I am biased.

It's True - get out and see the world mate, you might realise that you aren't so great or important after all.

Reply #170065 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Seriously, is there any level-headed South Australians?

Brumby should not have said what he did, but talk about an overreaction.....Premiers are meant to talk up their own state, but South Aussies get all fearl about defending Adelaide.

There are positives for both states.

I do agree that Melbourne leads the way in Australia as far as "sporting capital" goes and (per capita) would be close to best in the world.

But I love Adelaide as a city. And I think some of it's surrounding areas (Barossa, Victor Harbour, etc) are fantastic. I do apologise though, but I don't like the people very much.....most of whom look like they're about to spit on you when they find out you're Victorian. Yes, that's a generalisation, but it's my experience.

Get over it gang.....pro's and con's, swings and roundabouts, and all that stuff.

Reply #170067 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

EC - I think calling the guy in charge in SA a premier is a bit of a stretch - Clown would be more applicable :)

Reply #170068 | Report this post

Did this really deserve a WHOLE front page? Doesn't the Advertiser have something important to report? Oh wait, Corey's forgotten about, and theres no AFL on

Talk about blown out of proportion

Reply #170071 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

If you look carefully at the article, you will see that both Corey and Carey somehonw got a mention! Check it out.

Reply #170076 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Billo , some good points and DICKO here here .

Each state is beautiful in its own right . Melbourne is a fantastic place , the fact that you can walk the city , good transport , subcultures , brunswick st , prahran markets , st kilda at summer , stroll around toorak , rooftop bars , funked up pt melbourne lounges , worldly people ....... could go on for ages .

I wonder how many people on here make their assessment on what victorians are from old basketball tourneys .

Now Adelaide , well thought out , balanced culture "slightly tipped to depression due to growing number of emo teens " fantastic produce , farmers markets , brilliant food , gouger st , rundle st , better wine Mclaren Vale , Adelaide hills , the fringe .. garden of delights ,the fact that you can walk from Norwood to the city or back after a night out ... the fact that we love to beat any team from Victoria .

Melbourne and Adelaide share a great sporting rivalry that should be encouraged and respected , we don't have to get so defensive and start acting like children .

I think we also share a similar culture and way of living . Each city has pros and cons and underworld figures too .

Reply #170090 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

DICKO - what happened to your refusal?

Reply #170095 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"the fact that we love to beat any team from Victoria"

See, that's the thing I don't get.....we like to beat ANYONE, we don't have a special place in our hearts for beating SA. Back in the OLD AFL state of origin maybe, but that's a while ago.

South Australians seem to be a LOT more anti-Vic than we are Anti-SA.

Story for you.......

I used to work for an Adelaide based company, but here in Victoria, so I have spent a lot of time over there.

I flew over there just after the Grand Prix coming to Melbourne, etc.

I picked up my new company car and was told "Don't worry, we'll get the number plates changed to VIC as soon as we possibly can".

When I asked what the rush was, I was told that (don't forget, I'm Victorian).... "We don't want those stupid Victorian pr1cks destroying our car". This was the owner of a successful company speaking.

I have heard of numerous examples of cars being vandalised in SA (with Victorian plates), the biggest one being a South Australian AFL footballer who had returned home to play for the Crows but didn't get his plates changed straight away (Tony Hall rings a bell). Some idiot Crows supporters destroyed their own players BMW......HE HE HE. I have heard of people been beaten up in Adelaide for being Victorian. Especially when the GP thing happened, it got real rough. I started telling people I was from Sydney to avoid confrontation. Even then, the first thing out of a couple of mouths was along the lines of "Don't you hate those Victorian.........".

I have NEVER heard of any such thing happening here.

I just find it weird, that there is a large chunk of South Australians that actively hate Vics.

Again....that said, Brumby should have shut up.

Reply #170096 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DICKO, there are idiots everywhere. Pretty sure we don't have a monopoly on them, ours just have their own style. ;)

Reply #170101 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Didn't Gary Ayres get his car damaged (bonnet stomped and scratched) when he had Victorian plates at AAMI Stadium whilst coaching the Crows???

Reply #170103 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

DICKO - there may be a reason for that you know. Such as, Victorians are easy to hate whilst South Australians are not ?

;)

Reply #170107 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

DICKO - what happened to your refusal?

I said I'd refuse to get in another fight over it.

I'm not fighting, I'm trying to preach tolerance.

Martin Luther "DICKO"

Reply #170110 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Dicko, I pretty much agree with everything you said.

The jealosy/rivalry thing is always going to happen between any two closely tied cities where there is close competition but a disparity in sizes. It is always going to be more obvious from the end of the smaller city too. It is only natural. In my experience, it is similar between Melbourne and Sydney too (Melbournites hate Sydney being referred to as the 'true' capital of Sydney, whereas Sydneysiders couldn't care less). The rivalries are probably stronger in Aus than other places because of the 'tyranny of distance'.

But ignorant statements such as "It's true's" (who hasn't returned to defend his outlandish comments) and Brumby's just goes to prove that idiots can survive in any city.

Reply #170117 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Oh, and whilst there may be more jealosy obvious from the smaller city (Adelaide), Brumby goes to prove that from time to time the bigger city (Melbourne) needs to aggrandise itself by comparison to promote its self importance. It goes both ways.

Reply #170119 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

At least we are the "murder capital" of Australia and should be proud of it!

Reply #170120 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Hookers and Churches, Squid......Hookers and Churches

Reply #170129 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

neither of which are a bad thing

Reply #170132 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

One wants money as payment for sex the other only requires silence

Reply #170134 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

One you take your wife to, the other you don't

Reply #170153 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

One costs you a fortune, the other....

DOH!

Reply #170158 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Never did get the 'city of churches' thing. I can't think of a single city anywhere where you don't tend to trip over more impressive churches more often than Adelaide. And half of them are now nightclubs.

As for the hookers, we still don't beat St Kilda on that score. Damn, we really must be a backwater!

Reply #170172 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:44 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754