skip
Years ago

Breakers v Wildcats - Spoilers

Wildcats have done us no favours tonight being knocked off by the Breakers in New Zealand by 10 points.

That door of hope is almost closed for the sixers.

Topic #14452 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

I thought the 36ers could not not afford any more losses for themselves and no more wins for the Breakers. If they still have hope of making the playoffs now, then they have more lives than a cat. After watching the Bullets/Tigers game last night, I doubt we will be getting a win this Saturday. I was very surprised to see Ere suit up. Almost as though he only had to travel from the next suburb. He didn't even show any ill effects from the rushed travel.

Reply #170194 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

CJ was also pretty impressive with his "damaged" ankle.

Reply #170196 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Given all the injuries the breaker have had, they did really well tonight. Great effort.

Reply #170207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assume Adelaide wins 4 out of remaining 4 games.

1. They will knock New Zealand out of finals if NZ wins no more than 1 out of their remaining 3 games. (This is possible as NZ have tough away games against Sydney and Perth)

2. They will knock Cairns out of finals if Cairns wins no more than 2 out of their remaining 4. Cairns must also lose their match against the 36ers by more than 6 points.

Adelaide still a chance to make finals despite NZ winning tonight. They just have to win every game!

Reply #170212 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Adelaide win 3/4 games and the Breakers don't win again, don't the 36ers get through on the split via points aggregate?

Reply #170214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, if the Sixers end up on the same number of wins as NZ or Cairns, Sixers will get the split!

(Still awaiting Sixers vs. Cairns match though - in which Sixers need to win by more than 6)

Reply #170227 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Why would the Sixers need to win by more than six? That would put them 2-0 against Cairns. I think you mean not lose by more than five, in which case it is 1-1 and we get the split. But another such loss will have us miss the finals, so it is irrelevant.

Oh for losing a few cheap games earlier in the season!

Reply #170231 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

NZ have the Dragons next which they should win to give them 15 wins.

Cairns still have the Dragons and Hawks left, both of which they should win to give them 15 wins.

So the Sixers really have to win all of their remaining 4 games and hope that NZ or Cairns drop all of their 50/50 games. Chances of that I would put at about 0.05%.

Reply #170236 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Need to get at least one of the games this weekend to be in the hunt.

I think the Razorbacks are now out of contention after losing last night since they'd have to go 3-0 from here, have Cairns go 0-4, and then would still lose the split with the Taipans.

NZ have snuck into 7th but have three very difficult games out of those remaining.

Reply #170238 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac, from here I can't see how 14 wins could possibly be enough.

Reply #170286 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If the Breakers go 0-4 from here (they play Dragons, Tigers, Kings, Wildcats - just one home game), and Adelaide go 3-1, they will still tie things up at 14-16 and get through on aggregate.

The Taipans are 13-12, but have easier opponents.

If Adelaide can finish 4-0, they should have a very good chance. NZ would need to win twice (tough) and Cairns would need at least a couple themselves.

Reply #170289 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

If NZ can't beat the 0-13 run cellar-dweller Dragons, then they just don't want to make the finals. Cairns on one leg with both hands behind their backs should also knock off the Dragons.

I agree with you that it could happen, but I don't think it would happen in any reality where the world rotates around the sun.

Sixers must work on the assumption that it needs to win all 4 games to have a slight hope of playing another game this season.

Reply #170300 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Well, the Heal sacking may just be the extra impetus required for the Dragons to break their losing streak against NZ. In fact, given that we don't play them again, lets hope the Dragons go on to win the rest of their games so that they take out Cairns too. Here's hoping anyway...

Reply #170355 | Report this post

RMM  
Years ago

Although Dragons may be a bit stronger after having their testicle wart removed!

Reply #170412 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754