Johnny Sack
Years ago

RE: Melborne F1 GP on the rocks???

Well, looks like the ban on ciggy money has come home to roost... Not that anyone really cares (rational Melburnians included - i exclude the "greatest sporting city in the world" ones here obviously!).

I hate to sound like a nostalgic old timer - but we were lucky enough to experience the last era of "real" F1 racing with Adelaide. F1 has gone to the crapper since Senna's death and Shuey's era (Shuey was impressive - but let's be honest he never had the caliber of opposition that was around previous to the mid-90's) and the complete lack of anyone to compete with him.

The product has gone to s##t... Rubbish personalities - who piss and moan, and threaten litigation (remember the stuff between Senna and Prost, and Senna clocking Irvine after a race). And the "Ferrarigate" incident was just pathetic... Do it Bernie - push the red button - PLEASE!!!

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23151985-2,00.html

Topic #14486 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

Oh yeah, cos A1GP/Indy/Nascar/V8's/WRC is so much better.

Mosley is doing his best to ruin F1, but its still the pinnacle.

Reply #170700 | Report this post

I agree; F1 is the pinnacle. I want to see the most advanced cars with the best drivers.

I want;

Traction control
Semi auto & auto gearboxes
Advanced aero's
Active suspension
Turbo's
The return of slicks
Pit controlled live tuning of engines

Why is the ruling body of F1 so determined to turn our great cars into Indy clones?

I can generally turn on fox most weeks and see a 1980's tech Indy car wobbling around one of those God awful boring ovals.

If I cant get to sleep I usually try and find Indy or even worse, NASCAR on the tube; puts me to sleep in 5 mins flat.

The USA does a lot of things great, but IMO they just don't get motor racing.

Reply #170945 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

The Raikkonen/Alonso/Hamilton battle last year was exceptional.

Hamilton especially has added a lot of life to a sport that was indeed struggling to fill the void of Schuey. He will fill that void, I have no doubt how exceptionally good he is as a driver.

Give Jenson Button a quick car and he will challenge also.

F1 is certainly not dead

Reply #171062 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:58 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754