Isaac
Years ago

Funny Crocs end Sixers streak

The Townsville Crocodiles paid a visit to the Sixers' bastion today and left with a crunch-time victory, having ended Adelaide's run of home wins. The result of the game was not confirmed, though, until the final buzzer with Willie Farley's last-gasp three point attempt missing and the Crocs departing 107-110 winners.

With captain Brett Maher out injured courtesy of a thumb concern and damage suffered to his calf during Friday night's win against the Breakers, Farley relished the opportunities to commandeer clutch moments and scored a game-high 35 points. His total included 5 of 8 three point baskets and 10 of 12 from the free throw line.

Dusty Rychart played a superb role with 20 points, a team-high 12 rebounds and also a team-high 9 assists. Jacob Holmes played extra minutes in the absence of Maher and responded with 18 points and 6 rebounds.

From the very first quarter, both teams played a free-flowing game, but the Crocs forced tough perimeter defense and the Sixers were scoring mostly inside the paint. Maher's absence was obvious, but Darren Ng picked up extra minutes and had 5 assists for the game. At the first break, the Sixers were down 25-33, Holmes managing 6 early points, Farley leading the team with 8, and Ng picking up an and-one for 3 of his own.

The second quarter saw Rychart scoring 6 quick points including one put back after chasing his own missed shot, and after an excellent screen that allowed Farley to make a three point bucker, the score was 34-35 and Townsville had called for a time out. It was even from then for much of the quarter -- Cooper making the most of his time with a baseline dunk and then a steal that led to Ng picking up 2 points. But the Crocs reacted and broke away for an eight point margin at half-time: 49-57. Farley and the Crocs' Rob Rose had 13 each, SA-prodigy Brad Newley had 12 in limited minutes and Rychart had 10 points.

The Sixers were, however, fortunate to be in contention at all as the Townsville side were playing superior defense and scoring at a higher percentage from the field, the arc and the stripe.

The Crocs emerged after the main break and their offensive form continued as John Rillie had a three and Robert Brown an inside basket. Rillie's reaction after a foul on Farley gave way to the latter launching an 18 point third-quarter onslaught, and Holmes added 6 points (including 4 from free throws). A clutch three pointer on the last play of the quarter from Farley gave him 31 huge points of his own and brought Adelaide within a snap of the Crocodiles' tail -- 84-87.

The final period gave Adelaide no easy options as the Crocs picked up 5 straight points to keep life difficult for the Sixers. Paul Rees had 4 points for the term including a great transition bucket and bonus foul shot to give him 11 points for the match, and Rychart scored 8 for the quarter, but it was still neck and neck until the final minutes.

The home crowd intensity lifted for the last 4 minutes as Adelaide finally drew level on a Farley free throw: 105-105.

With a minute to go, the Sixers fouled Rose who made 1 of 2 and gave the Crocs a 106-108 lead. Newley fouled Cooper who also made 1 of 2 and then picked up a critical defensive rebound at the other end. On the resulting play, Holmes was fouled driving baseline but with 8.9 seconds to play and needing only a single point to even the scores, missed both opportunities.

Another foul by Adelaide on Rose and 2 of 2 clutch free throws made it a three point game. Farley, dominating the Townsville side all night on isolation plays, couldn't make his final shot and the Sixers dropped just short.

Sixers 107 (Farley 35, Rychart 20, Holmes 18, Cooper 11, Rees 11, Ng 7, Forman 5)
Crocs 110 (Rose 21, Robertson 20, Newley 16)

FG: 40-48%
3P: 43-27%
FT: 62-69%
Rebounds: 58-46 (Rychart 12, Cooper 10, Holmes 6, Rees 6)

Boxscore

Topic #1449 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I have to admit that I watched Brad Newley whenever he was on court and was (again) very impressed. Fearless, makes his shots, and he can jump -- got a huge block on Holmes in the first quarter I think (although I think Holmes later got his revenge!). If the NBL had 20 more Newley's, it'd be more successful.

Farley has a lot of passion this year. It was pretty amusing when he had his little chat with the backboard support! Great game from him and Dusty (is 9 assists a career high for him in the NBL?). May miss POTW yet again because Rucker had a big game, Bryant Matthews had a good game, etc. If the Sixers won today, surely Dusty would've been the favourite for it?

Robertson played well for the Crocs I thought. Calvary is nowhere near as good as he was earlier in the season. Reidy is the oldest looking player in the league, but can still do his job.

Not a great crowd again.

Reply #16600 | Report this post

crosscourt  
Years ago

oscar went missing and showed immaturity as a player.

Reply #16602 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah as i was coming in i was really really worried. The car park the empty and in the stadium the top seats were almost all empty, it filled out a little bit but there is just no promotion of the games. A tv ad would help, some paper ads other then when boti has an article etc. Good game though, sad loss. Hopefully dusty gets POTW he has worked his butt off.

Reply #16604 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yes, career high assists for Dusty (prev was 7)

Reply #16609 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

After the national anthem I turned around to look at the upper South stand and saw it basically empty. A loose congestion of people in the centre of the stand and a scattering of people on the edges. A sad sight.

Reply #16680 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:45 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754