tommyblaze
Years ago

Gold Coast Blaze changes for 08/09?

what i reckon blaze should do... cut nic campbell and pursue 1 of justin brown or rhychart. we need more height. am happy with the rest of the roster.

we should hav heal also in adevelopment role non-playing.

Topic #14539 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

sack joyce jr

Reply #171452 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

More height? Melmeth, Cameron, McGregor and Frank not enough?

and yes kad sack SOJ but we all know that wont happen with his daddy around.

Should be an interesting choice between Hawkins or Whitehead for next year, personally I'd go with Whitehead from what i've seen so far.

Reply #171463 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they should get a new import for that forward position. Bring in a SF, maybe try Josh Pace because you don't need him to hit from outside as much with Crowe, Harvey, Macgregor, Cameron, etc.

Reply #171477 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I think what tommyblaze means is a big bodied 5 man. Melmeth has the height but is a bit soft inside, Cameron and Mcgreggor hav the strength but are really sf's. Frank is a 4 man in the nbl, but relies on his jumping rather then height or bulk.

Reply #171484 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Why not wait an see how they progress in the playoffs before making changes?

Joyce probably still deserves a spot on a team but certainly not the minutes he's been getting.

Reply #171510 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

Apart from the apparent need to sack D Joyce and before I get more comments on this the last time I really saw Joyce play was when I guarded him in U/18's at the Country Cup at Albury, there doesn't seem to be much consistency to the changes suggested. The Blaze are about to hit the playoffs but I can't see them challenging a bullets/tigers/kings.

Do the Blaze need to bring in 3/4 players to make the next leap, or are they only 1 or 2 players away from being a top 2 contender, whatever type of players they are?

Reply #171527 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

My advice to the Blaze administration is; under no circumstances bring in Cortez Groves and Nick Horvath.

:P

Reply #171528 | Report this post

curtleyambrose  
Years ago

If the Blaze need height they should go after Sun Ming Ming currently playing in Mexico.

Reply #171543 | Report this post

annom  
Years ago

i think remove crowe, place heal in the team, and then have whitehead and hawkins know that would be awesome. I would keep Daniel Joyce as he has improved this season, he will always copp shit whilst dad is the coach, but hey he can play.

I would keep the rest of the team, they have done a fantastic job, and they will only improve.

starting 5
Heal
Harvey
Hawkins
whitehead
Melmeth

Bench
Mcgregor
Cameron
Frank
Demos
Joyce
Aucoin
Campbell.

that would be a bloody good team! crowe is a good player but too eratic and waste the poor too much, heal doesnt waste the ball and a good decision maker, trying to guard harvs and heal combo would be a nightmare of any opposition team!

Reply #171581 | Report this post

blazefan  
Years ago

This time last year, every player now on the roster barely knew who the Gold Coast Blaze was, let alone thinking they would be part of this frachise (and heading to the playoffs for that matter).

While some minor changes are always inevitable, imagine what this squad will be like having had a season together under their belt.

One change Blaze management will have to make next year is who fills the import spots.

Hawk Hawkins is one of the nicest individuals I've had contact with in 20 years of following NBL and deserves to fulfill his contracted position on the roster next year. The fact he has remained in OZ since the stroke shows a heap of class and he still gets a heap of crowd support at home games.

After being an early candiate for first import to be sacked, Crowe has become one of the most underated imports in the league. While his turnovers are high, he more than makes up for this in other areas, including rebounding. His return next year may be dependant on his working relationship with coach Joyce, which while very rocky early in the season, seems to be OK for now.

L-Dubb Whitehead has been the spark that the Blaze needed for the run home. Has admirably filled Hawk's on court position and exceeded it in some areas, specifically rebounding. Looks like he's been with the team all year.

As for the answer, I don't know. I'd love to keep all three guys. Perhaps naturalisation is the answer with Crowe's young family having been in Australia since the season start after a stint in NZ last year.

In any case the 'silly season' promises to be as interesting as ever when it hits us in a few months.

Reply #171619 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"I would keep Daniel Joyce as he has improved this season, he will always copp shit whilst dad is the coach, but hey he can play."

Cant argue with you there annon, this year he has made the huge jump from 25 to 29FG%. Yep, hey he can play!

Reply #171661 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Here comes Statman...

Reply #171662 | Report this post

annom  
Years ago

hey the team has qualified from the finals and the seem to work and gel well together, i see limited changes at the blaze

Reply #171694 | Report this post

brock  
Years ago

Mike Chappell to blaze next year

Reply #171771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:05 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754