red dog
Years ago

36ers injury probs

Having lost nash,williams and now maher I hope that we are thinking of finding an Aussie on injury waivers for Nash at least....I don't buy the "its disruptive" line especially since phil and steve have brought in late imports in 2 recent years-garrison and Dusty if i remember. If there's no one available..well thats different. Losing 2 gaurds and a player as versatile as Nash is disruptive but losing a few consecutive games is more disruptive.
Having read the Auditor Generals review of BASA's capacity to pay back the Dome loan it is apparrent that 36ers being in the finals and having home games can contribute to the balance sheet so spending on a Nash replacement would be a good investment.

Topic #1460 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

I heard Phil and Adrian Hurley talking at the recent game against the Pirates, both saying about how their is a alck of Australian free agents at the moment.

The only NBL experienced guard I can think of that would be worth signing at the moment is Travis Lane.

Considering we are now over the halfway mark - and how long it takjes someone to learn the system and fit in - maybe it isnt worth it?

Reply #16688 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

He would atleast provide a little more scoring punch at the 1.

Farley was a work horse that arvo and dusty played awesome but you could tell townsville had more contributors

Reply #16690 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

The only ex-NBL players I can think of that would be worth signing in the guard department are players such as James Harvey, Damian Ryan, even Frank Drmic (although I hated him when he was at the Magic/Titans) or possibly Darren Smith or Travis Lane.

I haven't heard about Ryan or Drmic in years and presume they are earning lots in Europe.

Harvey would be great but he doesn't come across as a Garrison type player that would be happy to be underpaid and coming off the bench to contend for a championship.

Lane has been available all off-season and we didn't target him so I don't see why we would now.

It is quite depressing as Newley really was the perfect compliment to the group we already had.

I don't buy that the 36ers didn't know he would be a good player. I just think we played by the rules and offered him what the league rookie salary was. $15k or whatever the max rookie salary is was never going to get a player of his calibre wespecially when big NCAA schools were after him.

The only way $15k would be enough is if year 2 was guaranteed around the $100k mark. I couldn't see the 36ers opening the cheque book like years gone past considering that at the start of the off season when Newley signed with Townsville we didn't have much cap space and had no bigs. We didn't even know if Cat was staying at that time.

In fairness to the 36ers they probably viewed Newley as a small forward and considering they had Cat, Nash, Holmes and to a degree Oscar that could all play small forward at the time, probably were more worried about filling the centre position.

Townsville were probably smarter and knew he was no average rookie and treated him accordingly. I'm not saying they cheated but even if they did good luck to them. They have one of Australia's most exciting talents. He will be one of Australia's best players for many years to come.

Reply #16705 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Townsville must have made more than one phone call.

Think minimum salary is $25,000 but rookie cap is $40,000 (well it was back in 1998).

Reply #16709 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

T'ville just tried harder to get him, that's all. Natural human instinct - go where you feel wanted.

Reply #16730 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Sapwell?

Reply #16734 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think Sapwell covers the deficiency. Against Townsville, we were definitely a guard short on defense and Robertson had his season-high because of it.

I'd rather see them bring Paul Bauer back (who could be fairly considered to have had his career cut prematurely short anyway). Bit outlandish as ideas go, but there'd be worse options. He already works for the club -- do any other teams have player-managers? Haha.

Reply #16737 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Sap was at the game watching the 6ers and he still looks fit enough to play

Reply #16740 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754