skip
Years ago

36ers: End of season player review.

So that's it for another season. Here is my brief review of the players.

Brett Maher  Unfortunately another injury riddled season. The team certainly lifts when he is on the court but I think its time for Brett to become our sixth man. Body can no longer cope with 30+ minutes a game.

Matt Sutton - Was a starter at the beginning of the season and finished with 17 points in his 50th game. Not a lot to mention in the middle tho. Didn't live up to the expectation upon him. Will struggle to find a spot on next years roster I would think.

Darren Ng  Outstanding season for him. Shone brightly when Maher was out. Will go very close to MIP for the league. If he can be convinced to play next season, he must start with Maher as his back up.

David Cooper  I've always been a fan of his game. Started getting the recognition he deserves. Had to fight for his spot too with both Dench and Mottram arriving on the scene. Best season to date. More important to our team than most people think.

Neil Mottram  Had a few injuries in the season as well. Gave us some good muscle and aggression and showed a lot of passion when he was out there. Maybe a little more was expected from him. I would like to see him back.

Brad Davidson  Easily the best Australian recruit for us. He gave us that extra leadership that sometimes lacked when Maher wasn't on court. Good in defence, Great perimeter threat & had the passion that has been lacking from the team in years of late.

Mike Chappell  Had 2 good games out of 15 or so. Should have been released a month sooner. Hopefully a lesson has been learnt.

Lanard Copeland  Played his role well this year. An improvement on last season. Still sometimes forced his shot at the wrong time, but I'm glad he finished his great career with us.

Jordan Dodman  Didn't see the court until January and perhaps struggled in his first couple of games. Grew in confidence with more minutes and showed he could be a future long term player for the club.

Axel Dench  Disappointing season from the big guy. Only showed glimpses of what he was capable of. Needed to be more aggressive offensively around the basket. Not sure who has the option on his contract but cant see him returning.

Adam Ballinger  Fantastic recruit. Rarely has a bad game. Inside and outside he beat his opponent in most games. Will certainly make the NBL 1st team. Team MVP. Club must retain him.

Erik Burdon  Didn't see much of him, but certainly looked comfortable when he was on the court. Will probably remain as a development player next season.

Julius Hodge  One of the most exciting players to grace the NBL. Player of the week for the last 3 weeks. He is a triple double threat every game. Enough said. Also must be retained!!!

Team I would like to see next year&

Schenscher 10
Ballinger (naturalised) 10
Hodge 10
Ng 5
Import 10

Cooper 7
Dodman 1
Tovey 5
Maher 5
Davidson 6

Burdon and a Small Forward type player on Development.

Points total of 69. 1 over current limit. Perhaps look to get Cooper re rated as a 6?

Topic #14656 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

Sounds good skip, not so sure on toovey tho..

I wonder if you could throw Aaron Bruce into the Ng slot if he cant play next season. IIRC, returning from college is an automatic 5?

Reply #173145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would not start Ng over Davidson, but your player ratings for past season are fairly spot on I reckon.

Reply #173149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous, why not? Davidson and Ng play different positions so it's not a matter of one starting over the other.

Reply #173151 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I gotta say...I agree with everyone of Skip's point. Took the words outta my mouth.

(And I'm a huge fan of Darren Ng starting).

Reply #173152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Maher is fit at start of season you start him. Simple.
you can still reduce his minutes effectively even if he starts.
Brings others into the game a lot more than darren can ever hope to.

Reply #173154 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

He has been fit at the start of the last 2 seasons, yet still broken down with calf injuries and missed big chuncks of games.
I would rather see him play 20 - 25 minutes a game for most of the year than 35 minutes for only half the games.

Reply #173156 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

A reliable little birdy tells me, you won't see Schenscher here next year. Also, Ballinger won't be naturalised until two thirds of the way into the season. Otherwise, fairly solid list, although I doubt we'll see Hodge next season.

Anonymous, Maher brings others into the game more than almost ANYONE else can hope to...but that doesn't mean he has to start the game. Next season will likely be his last and with his injuries this season, a bench role, I believe, would make him much more effective.

Reply #173159 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Assuming that Ballinger is naturalised and Darren plays next season, the question is what sort of player do you go for with the other import spot available? Given Ng's improvement do you still go for a shooting guard, say Kavossy Franklin?

You could then have Davidson and Maher sharing minutes at the point and Kavossy and Darren sharing minutes at shooting guard but I'm not sure if you can play a guy like Kavossy for only 25-30 minutes per game. Darren also plays his best ball when he is given good consistent minutes, rather than being an impact player off the bench.

I don't really mind if we don't get Schenscher. I'm not convinced he's value for points being rated a 10. I'd be happy for Mottram to stay instead. Also, is there a chance Ng's points rating will increase due to his improvement this season?

Reply #173160 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

While Ng is still at the 36ers his rating will not go above 5.

A player, other than restricted (import) players, commencing his career with a club shall never have an Internal Rating greater than 5 while he stays with that club.

Reply #173165 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Hasn't that rule changed Skip and Maher is now rated higher?

Isaac any idea?

Reply #173167 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im just going by the NBL site

Player points - http://www.nbl.com.au/site/_content/document/00005786-source.mht

Points System explained - http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=salary-cap

Maher still shows as a 5 point player.

Reply #173170 | Report this post

LJ  
Years ago

Isn't it if Maher moves to another club, he is still rated a 5 as he has been at the sixers for longer than 10 years? Is that not what Bradtke & Copeland did when they both moved to the Bullets after being at the Tigers for more than 10 years?

Reply #173173 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Heard something about reduced loyalty bonuses but not sure.

Reply #173177 | Report this post

LJ  
Years ago

I am pretty sure thats how the Bullets managed to fit all their players under the points cap. I remember seeing something on fox sports about it and that the Brisbane manager was the only one in the league to investigate it and benefit from it.

Reply #173179 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

What a great post Skip. And agree with review of players with only slight variations in my opinion.
Sutton I didnt rate last year either as real potential butwas waiting for NG to play to his real talent as he has done season end. I like Mottram work effort but dont think he is worth points or $ due to injuries, lack of scoring or attack inside prescence.
there seems to be a few good big young aust. plyrs apart from obvious ones you could save points and $ on.
hopefully we can appoint a new coach a s a p to scout poss. plyrs out of college etc.
Ballinger has to be our no 1 priority as can provide a real prescence with good size and score from anywhere and could become a long term plyr to build a team around which we have done with brett over the years.

Reply #173184 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The point system is potentially changing which makes it hard when some teams can start filling their rosters without clear direction as to what will be legal.

I have heard that a players internal and loyalty ranking will not move onto another club in the future.

Ie Copes would not be able to do what he did at Brisbane as Brisbane got the advantage of say a 7 point player for only 5 points.

Reply #173193 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i love Skips team, if we can get Hodge and a import guard i would look at say some onle like Cortez Groves, would bring alot of what Farley used to, is also a bigger guard and can play both the 1 and the 2 spot and probably fill in a few mins at the 3 if we go a smaller line up. Franklin would be great but he is signed to the Hawks im pretty sure so not an option unfortunatly.
If we cant get Schenshcer i wouldnt mind either Mottram or Dench staying.
How bout a team of

Mottram/Cooper
Ballinger/Dodman
Hodge/Tovey or Brad Hill
Groves/Ng
Davidson/Maher

Im pretty sure that would fit in under the points cap without discounts, given that Mottram would be less than Schenscher, and if we get Hill he would be less than Tovey aswell.

Reply #173197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #173203 | Report this post

BBALL  
Years ago

Should try to get Mike Helms as the point gurad Import

Schenscher 10
Ballinger 10
Hodge 10
Ng 5
Helms 10

Cooper 7
Dodman 1
Tovey 5
Maher 5
Davidson 6

Reply #173225 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

In the course of history, Chappell should have been cut earlier, but no Julius ! ?
Sixers tried to get him before, they know his agent well, didn't like Italy at all.
I thought maybe Cooper/Ng/Copeland at three may have been better than persevering with Chappell ?

Reply #173235 | Report this post

DJM  
Years ago

If Chappell had been cut earlier, my (fading) memory suggests there was another player they were chasing? In that case, we may never have seen Hodge. Ever the optimist!

Reply #173253 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Joshua Pace. They tried to get to replace Chappell.
We would not have seen Hodge.
But we have missed the finals??

Reply #173255 | Report this post

Soulman  
Years ago

Although another year without finals action let's look at the positives,
1: Cooper in the last 3 years has consistently improved as a player especially on offence. Retain.
2: Ng proved this year that he can be a scoring threat although teams know you can take him down in the post more weights work needed. Retain and could also start instead of Maher.
3: Dodman for a big man is quite quick up and down the court needs desperately to work on his shot but hussled really well when played and can play a role. Retain.
4: Mottram body to body can mix it with best but did find himself in a lot of games in early foul trouble and not much of a offensive threat. Retain as he fits in as a team player.
5: Maher, enough said. Can maybe play less minutes unless needed in his normal role and used sparingly as injuries can now threaten his career.
6: Davidson, outstanding first year as a sixer and a must Retain.
7: Our current two imports are the best in the league and found a little niche working together, no dought a full season would only make them stronger and would be the envy of all other NBL teams. Retain.

Now to the fringe players who can be re-placed.
1: Dench, not consistent enough although definately has the talent,a bit slow but a good team player.
2: Sutton great intensity on defence and very solid ball carier but no inprovement this year, and fills up a sixer spot where we dont really need to strenghthen.

In place of Copeland I agree definately go after a Tovey type player.

Lets hope for bigger and better things next season for the Sixers and bring back them glory days.

Reply #173382 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:20 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754