Isaac
Years ago

Boti: Win in Singapore hurt 36ers' season

Boti Nagy has an article on AdelaideNow saying that, with hindsight, the 36ers' win in Singapore in November did as much as anything to cost the side a play-off spot.

In that game, Mike Chappell had 30 points.

Boti's argument runs that Chappell's quality outing bought him five more games with the team, followed by Adelaide playing with a single import for another three games.

Had Chappell delivered his usual eight points and Adelaide lost, Sixers' management would have pulled the pin and had someone such as Hodge in uniform for two-thirds of the season instead of the last 12 games.

In that eight game stretch after visiting Singapore, Adelaide went 4-4 with only two games against top-tier teams and five games at home. Two losses (hosting Townsville and visiting Gold Coast) were winnable games.

With Julius Hodge in the team, the 36ers went 6-6 though with five home games in that passage and only three games against non-finals teams.

Here's the article: Win that sank the Sixers

Topic #14672 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

Brilliant piece of journalism.

Reply #173397 | Report this post

What the?  
Years ago

This article just goes to show how mindless Boti is.

Claiming that the last 5 games of a season are reason to think that the 36ers season can be blamed on 1 game.

Even with Hodge we were 6 and 6. We never went into a game, until Singapore lst week, with a confidence that was worth s@$t.

How many people were calling for Chappelle's haed even after that game? I was for one.

If Phil and Boti couldn't see that Chappelle couldn't move after a couple of weeks. Then they both are living in fantasy land.

Reply #173402 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

probably was the points where they would have cut mike and gone for another import i remember thinking shit they will keep him longer now after that game,

and i dont think boti couldnt see mike couldnt move ifact i remember him commenting on that long before that game

Reply #173407 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

End of the day Chappell should never have played more than 6 games for the 36ers. After that there was a massive bullshit spell where die hard fans were forced to cheer for a less than average player. The management team had no balls, and kept saying how nice a guy he was.....ITS A BUSINESS! Chappell shouldnt have been given the chance to score that lone 30 points in Singapore

Reply #173409 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Even with Hodge we were 6 and 6.
In that sequence of games, we played a number of tough teams - Sydney, Brisbane (twice), Cairns (twice), Perth, Gold Coast, etc. 9 out of 12 games were against teams in the finals. At Hawks and hosting the Wildcats were the two games that should've been wins IMO.

I think Chappell should've been moved on before the Singapore game like Kobe24. What the?, as you said, it was really obvious from the beginning that Chappell was not moving well at all, even after Phil had said (around the first Perth game) that Mike was now fit again.

In the end, it's a post-season article and the greatest impact on the season was Chappell. They signed him, gave him a shot and had to cut him at some point. Subsequently, it's a matter of when and the article addresses part of that.

Reply #173422 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

I think Boti is making a good point. Steve Breheny still maintains that Chappell had a back issue, and that his drop off in foul shooting is an indicator of that, but the fact that Chappell could step up against a far weaker adversary after so much travel indicates to me that Chappell's issue was that he was not up to the grade, and that he should have been cut much earlier.

Reply #173425 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The best judge on Chappell's injury whas Chappell himself. Why tantalize the club and the fans with one or two good games to indicate that he was capable? I thought he was a nice guy and would have been in a difficult position if I was the one that had to cut him but I am not so sure now. He should have admitted to management that he wasn't up to it and put himself in a position to be released. He may have needed the money, but together with his salary there is the expectation that he will deliver. He clearly was not delivering and he knew that.

Reply #173446 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Oh but wait

If the sixers had cut MC after that Singapore game we most likely would have signed our initial choice who was NOT Julius Hodge.

Who knows how Josh Pace would have fitted into the sixers system. If JH signs next year w us i wold have been prepared in hindsight to take this year on the chin

Reply #173458 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

EC, no player anywhere is going to admit that.

Chappell should have been cut after the game in Perth (4th game of the season). We would have been better off playing with only one import rather than carrying the guy and sending up a great big white flag for our opponents.

Davidson and Maher's injuries may have also played a part in Chappell being around for as long as he was. From memory, Davidson missed four games from the game in NZ (5th game of the year), and Maher missed something like 5 straight after Davidson returned. Possibly, knowing that Chappell's backup at the three Copeland was going to have to spend more time at the guard spots, also served to extend the Green Mile Chappell was walking.

Yes, if Chappell was cut as soon as it was obvious he was a dud we may not have gotten Hodge, but we would have gotten a FULLY FUNCTIONAL import. And this may well have made all the difference.

Reply #173462 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes a fully functional import at three, we would have been in the finals. Maybe fourth.
With Hodge, the way we beat sydney and Brisbane, we must have been a big chance at top.

Reply #173472 | Report this post

JockeyClub  
Years ago

All this proves is that hindsight is always 20/20.

Reply #173529 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I was merely questioning the "nice guy" label placed on him.

Reply #173532 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The advantage of hindsight is better than gazing into the foggy web of destiny.
Just frustrating, that team we had , in the end looked pretty good to me.

Reply #173631 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:06 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754