skip
Years ago

Joey Wright no longer Bullets coach?

Heard a rumour that Joey has walked from the Bullets? Anyone know anymore?

Topic #14995 | Report this topic

New  
Years ago

I don't think Eddy can afford him or half the team anymore.

Look for a lot of changes there, that is if Eddy can hold onto the team.

Reply #177036 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Eddie has lost alot of money in ABC, this is not his only business or investment. I would be surprised if his accountant is that bad that they would not have planned for this to possibly happen one day. I think you will find his personnel wealth while smaller is still not doing to badly.

Reply #177046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets have the "For Sale" sign on the windscreen.

Reply #177051 | Report this post

New Name  
Years ago

Skud,

You obviously don't understand how the business world works. Eddy probably has a negative port folio now.

He will not be holding onto the bullets or the dome.

It will now be interesting to see what happens with mal and the 36ers. I am guessing that Sam Shahin will be announced as the new owner in the coming weeks.

Why do you think he had such a big say on the coach?

Reply #177059 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

He's been asked to take a large pay cut, and isn't happy (Re Fox sports) . With a few other teams coachless, he'll most likely find a home elsewhere. All uncontracted players would be up for grabs, and being a Dusty fan, I'm watching with interest.

Reply #177098 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Id bet he was easily the most expensive coach in the league last year..

Reply #177102 | Report this post

Finance 101  
Years ago

Eddy's business has always been run with high gearing and a high reliance on govt subsidies as a primary source of revenue. Eddy would've been fully aware following the US Sub Prime shake-up that his exposure (and gearing) could potentially see his house of cards come falling down.

It was also reported that he and his wife (soon to be ex?) had bought more shares at $7. When you borrow to buy shares, the lending institution put 'calls' on the shares so that if the price falls, as it did, then their losses are covered. E.g. they would have an automatic sell in place if the share fell below $4 for example.

That is the risk with using other people's money, and while the rewards may be great, the loss, or potential losses are even greater.

Reply #177105 | Report this post

RW  
Years ago

I can't believe Joey's leaving on terms that were decided for him.
Eddy's finances were never going to affect the club much- it has a great name behind it and unmatched longevity.
As far as Eddy's interests in the club goes (because he has bigger fish to fry elsewhere) I think he thought with his heart instead of head and maybe should reluctantly let it go so that it doesn't sink with his other business interests.
It seems the club didn't do enough in the club's best interests, rather, had a she'll be right mate attitude and not enough of a contingency plan.

People don't go broke overnight- there would've been warning signs that got ignored in the hope that the business as a whole could be salvaged, and now the enemy is time to secure a massive sponsor.
I'm convinced they're out there, but to find you need a buyer in a week- at the price you want- could prove to be a bit more challenging.
It was all too reactive, and not proactive.
The club can't go down due to decisions made with hearts instead of heads.

The Bullets being affected by financial situations of investors like this should be a huge wake up call to all clubs that put a massive amount of money into their club from one source.
This club in terms of longevity, popularity, respect, history, standing, etc is like the Lakers/ Knicks/ Celtics of the NBA.
You may not like 'em, but you'll damn-well respect them for what they've done, where they've been and what they've seen.

The entire NBL needs a massive overhaul by getting back to basics and putting the sport back on commercial tv to get the fans back and away from footy codes that get away with anything, yet still have sponsors crawling across broken glass for them.
Keep it at a summer sport to not have to compete with footy codes, and get back out there back to basics- coaching clinics, public appearances, interviews on sat/ sun coverage like with Peter Meares and Glenn Palmer in the old days on Chl 7, etc.
The players got too big for the game- exactly what Kerlie said.
It's not that much to ask if it maintains the connection with the fans (especially in the off season so that you don't lose them to another sport when you come back) and at the end of the day, their bums on seats drive up the value of the club which then helps them negotiate bigger salaries.
Get back to the small things, and don't ever let this club dissipate due to not reading warning signs or hoping things get better- it's not a good enough business strategy.
If this club folded, I'd want somebody's head on a stick for waiting till it got that bad to do something significant about it.
The Kings did last week, and they don't even have a championship under their belt from last season.

Interesting to see that the dust hasn't even settled yet and the vultures are already circling around Dusty and other uncontracted players.... not that it will mean much to ANY contracted player if the club were to fold....

Reply #177222 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754