Hithere!
Years ago

The end of the NBL

Article in the HS today that says Foxtel may pull its coverage of the nbl to make way for more A-league coverage.

If this happens the NBL will die. No coverage anymore on pay tv or FTA.

The NBL is in big trouble.

Topic #15121 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

Back to winter!

Reply #178597 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

If that happens Foxtel can kiss my subscription of $109.95/month goodbye.

Reply #178599 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As I said in the other Fox thread:

Is it all bad for the NBL, or would it allow regional teams (including Perth and Adelaide) to try and negotiate independently with local networks? And also allow teams or the league to put highlights online or try live streams via the net?

Reply #178601 | Report this post

ChuckPerson  
Years ago

New NBL them song...... This is the NBL to its fanse.

We been broken down
the lowest turn
and been on the bottom line
sure ain't no fun
but if we should be evicted from our homes
we'll just move somewere else
and still carry on
Hold on, Hold on, Hold on

Chorus
The only way is up, baby
For you and me, baby
The only way is up
For you and me

Now we may not known
Where our next meal is coming from

But with you by my side
I'll face what is come
boy, I wanna thank you
for loving me this way
things may be a little hard now
but we'll find a brighter day
Hold on, Hold on, Hold on

Chorus

Reply #178602 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Yeah, I'm with Blue Collar...Sixers away games were the reason I subscribed to Foxtel in the first place.

I thought it was funny how when I rang to connect up, the operator asked what I wanted it for, when I said basketball, the operator said "oh yeah we have NBA, college ball...and NBL, if you're into that".

Reply #178605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel always have these discussions with the NBL at the end of every season. They said the same last season and that they were going to pull the coverage.

Yes it doesn't look good, but it could just be a meeting. However, I hope this alerts the NBL and BA that something serious needs to be done (i.e. get a proper businessman in to run it).

Reply #178607 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

put it back on free to air.
you can't give people something for free all those years ago and then tell them that they have to start paying for it- they'll go watch something else, which is exactly what they've done.
didn't they learn anything from super league?
the stupidity of people in the nbl that went out chasing dollars by selling it to foxtel etc (who don't even respect it anyway and do such a crappy job)
worst decision in the history of the nbl by selling it to greedy fat cat pay tv providers....

Reply #178614 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Problem was "duh!", that no free to air station picked up the rights to the NBL. The NBL was lucky that Foxtel was willing at the time or there would have been nothing.
I reckon SBS would do a great job with it if they wanted it - but their hierarchy prefer the "World Game" and cycling over any other sport.
The ABC would also be a good choice.
At least there was 1 game per week packaged for channel 9. Pity they didn't show game 4 or game 5 though - that was pretty ordinary.
WWOS was back for the first time last weekend too and they failed to even mention the NBL grand final series even just once. That was even worse IMO.

Reply #178617 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

the abc currently show better WOMEN'S coverage here than anybody showing decent nbl!
it's bizarre!
hopefully abc might pick it up and add it to their existing ball lineup??

Reply #178630 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

The ABC show more women's basketball because their charter dictates that they have to show a certain level of support for women's sport. There's not that much to choose from.

The ABC tried to pull out of WNBL a few years back, but were unable to do so due to their own broadcasting rules.

Reply #178635 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

duh! i assume you are a teenager at home on the interenet? As DICKO clarified for you the only reason wnbl is on free to air is due to women's sport required to be shown on tv.

the nbl will not be on free to air for some time, or maybe never ... the fox talk is just fox yet again trying to get a bargin price.

i too will cease my foxtel subscription as well

Reply #178650 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

how about, now that we know the situation.,... quit bitchin like its completely out of your hands and start doing something!

heres the address to write to

[email protected]

start threatening to cancel subscriptions. do whatevers neccesary.

Reply #178651 | Report this post

ClownDog  
Years ago

LC, Channel 9 did show the last of the finals games - at 2am yesterday morning!

Reply #178656 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

DrB are you stupid, blind or both?
perhaps you're fez in disguise.
dicko's posts appears AFTER mine, so quit with the catty attitude and stick to the topic.
i'm 30 in case it's somehow relevant to you.
hurley that's a good proactive idea- count me in.

Reply #178659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL has offered the television rights to the free to air stations for FREE and they still wont pick up the coverage!!!

I agree with Hithere - NBL IN BIG TROUBLE!

Reply #178660 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

I think while TV is vital, they never really did a good job of spreading the word in other places. No one will check for it on TV if they don't already know about it.

Reply #178662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cable TV is chasing content as evidenced by darts and ten pin bowling and finger nail growing races etc etc so they wont can it, simply 'renegotiate'.

Reply #178663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With local dealings...
7 or 10 - Perth
WIN 9 - Adelaide
WIN - Wollongong
7 - Townsville

I wonder if the NBL may contact ESPN to see if they want to do it? (A downgrade with all those damn ads though)

Reply #178669 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Sorry ClownDog, I missed the 2am broadcast because like most normal people I was in bed!
I didn'nt even realise it was on or I would have taped it.

Reply #178684 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

This maybe from left field but wouldn't we be better off with a sponsor buying a tv time slot to show their ads and the nbl game of the week?

That way the money doesn't get chewed up by those useless morons at NBL HQ in Sydney, and it buys us and the sponsor exposure.

Didn't you just know that all the crap about us NEEDING a successful club and NBL HQ in Sydney to get NBL on tv was a load of crap!

Dont know what it would cost, and I realise that there is a cost to the station to produce the broadcast....... but surely someone CAN do something?

Maybe it gets done by each club with local stations(ie 36ers & ch9). This would allow local businesses to get together and sponsor the program to show our local games. These could then be sold/traded to the away teams for viewing in their locality.
Perhaps it could be linked with the commentary from Radio 891?

Any thoughts?

Reply #178705 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

IT DOESENT MATTER FOR ME COZ THE TIGERS LET ME WOTCH ALL THE GAME AT THEIR TRAINING

Reply #178716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but who mops up your drool?

Reply #178717 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

178705 is on the track
Perhaps get Guthy Renker to sponsor the NBL and show it late at night instead of the drivel shown now such as face cream, sharp knives and abs builders.
People must sleep all day so they can watch this crap at night.

Reply #178720 | Report this post

copenhagen  
Years ago

dont worry about writing to foxtel, write to sbs and theyll do a much better job.

Reply #178731 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

Coopers
Clipsal
Distinctive Homes
Adelaide Bank
SA Great
etc

It could be called the SA Great show and could promote local businesses and sponsors as shown above, with the emphasis on showing what we can achieve in business and on the court.

All these companies could put in an amount to buy a share of the program.

Reply #178733 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hardly a stupid idea. Daytime weekend television (outside of motor racing and other sport) seems to be full of industry/corporate-sponsored shows. There's one obviously funded by some caravan/camping body, a couple of renovation ones supported by King Gee or whover, and then Into The Blue is non-stop product placement for Coopers and the like.

Reply #178741 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

but who mops up your drool?

Drool isn't the bodily fluid I'd be worried about Tommy spilling at Tigers training.

Reply #178747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL actually looked at doing that. Yes, a lot of those sports shows are produced/paid for completely by corporate sponsors. Some even go so far as to then pay for the space on the schedule, like an extended ad. I think there's been a life saving/iron man type show on there paid entirely by Sanyo, and a lot of the extreme sports stuff is paid for entirely by people like Sony, Pepsi etc. Both Coke & Pepsi have had music shows produced this way. It's pretty obvious when you're watching one. The NBL canvased for willing partners for a basketball show.... found none.

Reply #178749 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

There's a surprise

Reply #178783 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:33 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754