Jenny Clark
Years ago

Norwood U16's at the Easter Classic

Does anyone know why Norwood entered both their Div 1 and Div 2 teams in the Championship division at Easter. Was it to:

- give the div 2 team some tough competition - if this was the case they certainly achieved that aim as the team got smashed in all its games;

- even up the numbers in the Champ div; or

- give the club the option of deciding, based on the draw, which of the teams their div 1 team would play under

Surprising also that as the host club they didn't enter a team in the A grade comp.

Topic #15186 | Report this topic

bakehouse hoopla  
Years ago

girls or boys ?

Reply #179395 | Report this post

Jenny Clark  
Years ago

Sorry....boys.

Reply #179399 | Report this post

Fake Identity  
Years ago

Not sure Jenny will be happy you are using her name in this post!!!!!!
Isaac should this be removed?

Reply #179401 | Report this post

Jenny Clark  
Years ago

Jenny who.....oh, you mean Jenny ClarkE

Reply #179407 | Report this post

Afroman  
Years ago

Why do you not give Norwood a break.

They have produced an excellent tournament that make SA proud.

Well done Norwood.

By the way Norwood & Sturt div 2 teams are a lot more competative than a few of the Div 1 teams.

So as a host club running the tournament, they should be entitled to a priveledge or two.

Well done Norwood

Reply #179425 | Report this post

SA Review  
Years ago

Afroman

I do not know where Norwoods Under 16 Div 2 team sits on the ladder but they played the Southern Tigers Div 1 side who one 1 game in Summer and got hammered 99 -45 by the Tigers.

This does not add weight to your argument that some Div 2 teams are better than the Div 1 teams.

In fact it throws into question the age old argument of Div 2 teams being promoted to Div 1.

There is a huge difference between Div 1 & 2 and most lowly Div 1 sides will easily account for the best Div 2 teams.

Reply #179438 | Report this post

Moose 65  
Years ago

Sturt's Div 2 teams' wins over Div 1 teams (not just the lower ones either) at the Norwood carnival over the past few years lend more weight to what Afroman is saying.

Reply #179441 | Report this post

a bit more weight  
Years ago

In Under 12 boys, I heard Sturt's THIRD side beat a div 1 side. And their 2nd side beat two div 1 sides.

And that's only what I heard on Monday about one club. Who knows where else it may have happened.

Sorry SA Review, but there is not much evidence to back your claims up. In your 16 boys argument, I notice you failed to mention Woodville's div 1s failed to make the semi's against these div 2 teams in Reserve grade - and that is without Norwoods 2s playing in the grade.

Reply #179460 | Report this post

So does anyone have any idea about the original question

Reply #179475 | Report this post

Div 2 parent  
Years ago

It was to give Carlo's kids the opportunity to play against other interstate teams and I know they thought by putting Sturt in the hardest round robin group they could advance further than the sturt boys would and possibly win it. Problem was they ran into them and lost in the semi. The div 2's made up the numbers. but my son still enjoyed the experience of getting flogged in each game. Go the red and the blue

Reply #179516 | Report this post

Eagle  
Years ago

Great carnival.

I dont really care about all the cloak & dagger stuff.

It gave my club & kids the oppertunity to play against the Vics.

Playing the Vics is invaluable experience.

Reply #179574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

- even up the numbers in the Champ div; or

As to the original question, I believe this is the answer. Nothing really sinister in that.

Reply #179579 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:49 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754