Isaac
Years ago

Paul Rees radio interview notes

Paul Rees was interviewed by KG and Cornes and I've been sent a summary by a forum reader:

---

Cornes said they broke the story last night about the Adelaide 36ers changing their name. KG said they are now known as the Sixers. Cornes said they are the Adelaide 36ers but fans say 'go Sixers'. Cunningham says he thinks they are now known as the Sixers -- he said the reason they had the press conference in the end was because of a story that was leaked about two weeks ago.

Cornes said that the Adelaide 36ers have signed Paul Rees and Willie Farley. Rees said it was great to be back. He said he and his family moved back to Adelaide about six weeks ago and the Sixers approached him. Rees said he was very pleased, a talked about playing in Brisbane with the Bullets. He said it was great because they won a lot of games. Rees said he has been doing some part time work with National Foods, dealing directly with farmers, and he has a small trophy business.

He said that one of the sticking points early was that the club wanted him to be a full time player and pay him part time money. Rees said that they 'scrounged' around a little bit more. He said he dealt with a myriad of people within the Sixers, but he finally got a deal put together.

Rees said pre-season training starts on Monday and he's looking forward to it. He went on to say that he was at the press conference, and they did a video hook up with Farley. Rees said it is an exciting move by the club to get Farley back, and he is looking forwand to playing with captain Brett Maher again.

KG said nothing went right with the Adelaide 36ers last year. Rees said they were not too far off the mark because they narrowly lost their finals game. Rees hopes to recapture the 'magic' of the last premiership team with the Sixers. KG wondered what the team is known as now, 'is it the Adelaide Pura Milk 36ers or is it just the Pura Milk Sixers?'. Rees said he honestly does not know.

---

Topic #152 | Report this topic

Kelly  
Years ago

Interesting... No one seems to know whether they have changed their name or not... not even Rees, one of their players! It is bad that the 36ers can't even inform the comperes of the highest rating sports show in Adelaide about this issue, because otherwise KG and Cornsey are going to keep doing the 'are they or aren't they changing their name' debate and confusing all their listeners. I think its bad PR.

Reply #1126 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The new uniforms show in large print Pura Milk Sixers on 2 lines and then the Adelaide 36ers logo underneath. My guess is that Adelaide 36ers is still the official name of the club but when referring to the team, they use an abbreviated preffered name of Pura Milk Sixers.

Reply #1127 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the name change just needs to be more effectively clarified because while the Sixers and Adelaide 36ERS difference is more obvious to some of us, to the average punter, it could prove confusing.

Given the lesser live coverage of TV, I think KG and Cornes are probably the main live avenue for publicity (not sure about the ABC radio guys?), and they should be set straight ASAP.

Reply #1129 | Report this post

The Watcher  
Years ago

Come on now....the clubs et someone straight about that?

The club is only keen to "set people straight" with threats of litigation and other forms of intimidation.

It wont work with those guys, as in KG and Cornesy.

Reply #1133 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, realistically, it'd take a single good-natured email to either of them explaining what "Adelaide 36ers" represented and what "Sixers" was being used for and you'd eliminate public doubt/confusion.

If you ran a correlation between Port Power/Sixers and PAFC/Adelaide 36ERS it'd probably be pretty straight-forward for KG. I'm sure Cornes, being a Sixers fan, is a little more aware but is just over-playing potential public confusion.

Reply #1135 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:35 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754