Isaac
Years ago

Linky: What it is and how to use it

Regular Hoops users may have noticed that I've added a little feature under the new topic/add reply text box. It allows you to create a "Linky" without leaving Hoops and easily copy and paste it into your post.

If you ever use TinyURL, you'll quickly understand what Linky is. Feed it a URL/web address of some length, and it'll give you a much shorter alias back (in the form: linky.com.au/xxxxx).

On top of that, a Linky allows you to track outgoing clicks, their source, and for other users to easily share it with others. I built Linky.com.au a few weeks ago just to see if anyone would use it, and hope to have time to fix a few things (timestamps on clicks are server time in the US, for example, and the statistics only show the last few weeks) over time.

Also, its use need not be limited to this forum. Sending a long link via email/MSN to a friend and they're struggling when it breaks as the line wraps? Make it a linky to get around that, plus see how many times it was clicked as a bonus.

For those posting on the forum who don't know HTML, it should make it pretty easy to add a clickable link:

Paste in your link (e.g., http://www.nba.com/), hit Go!, click in the resulting box, Ctrl-C to paste the code, select where you want the link to be, and Ctrl-V to paste it in.

(Of course, abuse it, and it's a one-way ticket to BanTown.)

If you are linking off to another site or article, create a Linky and then see how many people actually click through to read it.

If you've got any questions or suggestions, please let me know.

Topic #15423 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

I fear Isaacs banhammer!

Reply #182078 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Maybe you could make a basic html 'how to' page. Shows users how to post links, images, quotes etc? Just something that could be accessed in menu on the left perhaps.

Reply #182088 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Actually, the reason I have not encouraged HTML to date is because it's very easy to botch something and mess things up accidentally with a giant image or unclosed tags. May review that with the next site.

Reply #182094 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

next site?

Reply #182109 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

im sooo confused :)

Reply #182145 | Report this post

duh!  
Years ago

linky hates me!

Reply #182207 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why's that?

Reply #182211 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Is their a planned date for the next site Isaac? or just when its ready?

Reply #182219 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No date though that wouldn't be a silly idea. Struggle to find time/enthusiasm to keep working on it and always get distracted by something else unfortunately.

Reply #182222 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Isaac, what's the BBCode used for?

Reply #182224 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Other types of forums.

You can create a link to use on here without leaving this site though and it won't give you BBCode. Just hit "Need to add a link?" and then go from there.

Reply #182226 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I seem to be having problems adding more than one linky per post..

I'm probably doing something wrong..

Reply #182576 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:36 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754