Liam Flynn
Years ago

Sydney vs Townsville Game

Hi Folks,

I attended this game at the SEC and thought some of you may be interested in some feedback about the Kings Home game on the 2nd Jan:

Promotion/Advertising:
- I was in Sydney from the 30th and didn't hear anything about the game on the radio or TV which was pretty poor seeing it was in the middle of school holidays and people are usually looking for something to do with their kids. The cricket was on at the SCG so most of the focus on the media was on the Men in White, however, the Kings and Pigs did receive some good print articles, photos and game recaps in the Herald and the other paper (I think the telegraph) which also included game times for all the NSW teams.

Venue/Ticketing:
- I think the SEC is a terrific venue for basketball. I am guessing it seats 5000 - 6000 people, and offers a great view from all areas of the place. The seats are all cushioned and the air conditioning made the day very comfortable to view hoops. Tickets range from $16 (Silver class  upper section) to $60 (Platinum Class  corporate seating). Most people I saw bought silver seats at the door and then move down into the better sections after the first quarter. Every second seat in the first two thirds of the building had a program/club newsletter draped over it so that the fans can catch up on the latest news from the team.

Crowd/Entertainment:
- The place was only half full and not very vocal for much of the game. I can definitely see what Boti is saying about Adelaide being a knowledgeable crowd; much of the Sydney audience praise was saved for spectacular offensive plays that led to scores&and not much else. The entertainment was very good (Harlequin Dancers, Karate Demo and the mascot), though not as interactive as Adelaide. I think this was a big factor in the crowd being dead for much of the game, because they didn't feel involved in the game at any one time. The music and sound system was state of the art, a massive upgrade on the Dome, and Rodney O was awesome on the mic.

The Sydney dancers are eye catching and the Lion is hilarious! In the first time out he performed a ballet number in full leotard entitled 'Swamp Lake' with an inflatable crocodile in a tootoo as his partner and supported by a bunch of 6 year old little ballerinas. The number finished with the little ones kicking the shit out of the croc. I think the Townsville players who were walking back onto the court were struggling to keep a straight face!

The Game:

- This was a really close game, one that both teams had their chances to win. It was a high scoring first quarter (something like 40  32 Crocs), that turned into a fiercely contested battle towards the end. John Rillie put in a vintage display of 'scoring in bunches' for the visitors, while CJ 'could I try any harder to look like Allen Iverson' Bruton played well for the Kings (he hit the game winner as well).

Rillie single handedly brought the Crocs back into the game in the final quarter with a few deep threes and some slippery moves in traffic&all his points were on Smith and Sheridan who he made look second rate. He was very well supported by the 'Forrestvillian' Brad Newley who had 17 in the game, scoring his points in two spectacular spurts (one in the first quarter to get the Crocs going, and one in the 4th to aid Rillie in giving them a chance to win).

All in all a very entertaining day at the hoops&but not nearly as good as watching the 36ers at the Dome.

Topic #1553 | Report this topic

Kriss  
Years ago

does anyone know how many people rocked up for the new years eve game?

Reply #17747 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

4,100 I believe - that's a bid sad - but consistent with previous - I have been to sell outs NE Eve and it's a good bash at the dome

Reply #17752 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I thought the crowd seemed bigger, especially with a lot of upper concourse seats sold.

Only 200-300 people stayed after the game, with a lot of kids just racing around the place.

The band was good, probably just not suited to the venue. I would definitely recommend them for weddings, smaller venues (maybe a footy club night etc...)...great talent, just wasnt able to enjoy them as much as they probably deserved.

Maybe now with Glenelg council deciding to scrap future NYE's celebrations, the 6ers could capitalise on getting more people.

Reply #17762 | Report this post

baggy  
Years ago

My wife and I have attended the New Year's eve game at the Dome and after match function with our kids for the last 4 or 5 years (we are season ticket holders). We have a 12 year old (now)who enjoys running around with his mates so he seems to enjoy it. However I honestly feel it has become less and less attractive to attend. There is not much to make it worthwhile. A few suggestions - 1. We need a shorter gap between the game and the function OR have something happening. 2. Have some give aways for the kids (they have done this in recent times but not this year apart from a few lollies). 3. I know the players have a life but if it is a 36er's new years eve celebration then shouldn't they be there? They were there early but I only saw Paul Rees and David Cooper after midnight. Maybe we could have a "team signing" in between the game and the function where players sign free posters (they've done this before). 4. Have a signed shirt "give away". Winner has to be there to receive it and it is drawn after 12 o'clock. Just a few ideas. Us and a few friends suggested we won't be at the next one given recent experience, we will go home after the game.

Reply #17809 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

4100 is a terrible crowd. Baggy raises some good points. People are not going to the games because there is no incentive to go. The sixers should be embarrassed by only two players staying around. The problem is too much money and they don't give a shit about the general public. What they must realize, without the crowds money becomes limited, without money there is no sixers and with the way the crowds are going in another year the sixers will continue to struggle and I think will only get 3000. We must rememeber that they are not struggling, in fact they are top 3.Supporters usually will follow a successful team. A lot of true basketball people don't go anymore. Baggy, these basketballers do have a life, its called basketball and you are paying their wages. They are professional athletes, paid good money and it is not even a full time job or all year round. They need to start giving back more to the community and this needs to start from the top.ie BASA. I know this is a negative post but it is frustrating when you see AFL, soccer, netball, swimming and cricket continually on TV either ads or community work and we see nothing from basketball.

Reply #17814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many years in a row do the Sixers have to give up their new years for?

If it was a once off maybe but you can't expect them to do it year after year after year.

Reply #17816 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I think you might find they have not had it every year. Also don't promote to the public saying that they will be there and they are not. Its a load of crap.It might anything to them, but it does to the supporters and the little kids.

Reply #17817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

meh Go home and eat pizza and watch a movie. Was good enough for me :-)

Reply #17818 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

6ers have had New Years Eve home games for 5 of last 6 years (didnt have one for turn of millenium)

Reply #17819 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

4100 isn't that bad, considering that a lot of people wouldn't go, because of other plans. I'm a season ticket holder, I didn't go to the game, I went out instead. A lot of teenagers/twenty-somethings would be in the same boat I think.

Reply #17840 | Report this post

Northener  
Years ago

Hell Noel the Lion has been doing this number for years. The Swamp lake thing was done in Townsville long before the Lion ever did the damn thing.

I think the Lion needs his OWN ideas for goodness sake.

The Northener

Reply #17947 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:04 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754