MAZE
Years ago

Can Atlanta beat Boston? *spoiler*

Atlanta just defeated Boston to tie up the series.

Curious to know people opinions on Atlanta defeating Boston for the series.

I personally think they can. If Josh Smith and Joe Johnson can continue to post big numbers.

Topic #15638 | Report this topic

MAZE  
Years ago

Forgot to mention, Despite cheeze's love child Horford playing a bad game. Mike Bibby played well

Reply #184330 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

I reckon they can do it.......confidence is a huge thing

They just beat the best team in the league twice

Bibby is the key

Played well in the last 2.....for 2 wins

If he continues to play well.....Atlanta for me

Reply #184337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh god no, finally my c get a chance and they are blowing it. i think the hawks can get up now, they are shell shocked and unless they can somehow recapture their cofidence they are sadly toast.

Reply #184338 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Is it the curse of Garnett happening again?!

Reply #184341 | Report this post

Cheech  
Years ago

funny how the 1st round of the western conference was meant to be closer than ever, yet the eastern conference 1st round has had the closer/more entertaining games i rekn.

Reply #184343 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Atlanta can do this. Everyone picked this series to be 4-0 sweep and the Hawks have taken this to a 6 game series.

The young kids have grown up and the Celtics seriously underestimated the Hawks.

Reply #184347 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I believe!!!!!! A week before the finals they were 200:1. I took it in the hope a miracle would happen. Like Cheez I'm lovin the revival.

Still, I think TR sums it up best with "the Celtics seriously underestimated the Hawks". I doubt that is the case anymore and they will be hard pressed to steal a game in Boston.

Reply #184350 | Report this post

Oh come on. Atlanta, beat Boston? Are you all nuts? Boston in 6

Reply #184352 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

What have Atlanta got to lose???? Absolutely nothing at all. They have already silenced the experts by taking 2 games of the Celtics and have sent a huge scare through Boston.

The whole series now has different dynamics. The pressure is now on Boston to win this series as the Hawks aren't going to hand it to them.

Reply #184356 | Report this post

Years ago

What a stupid thread title!

Ive talked about this before... that title obviously gives away that Atlanta won and have tied up the series otherwise your wouldnt start a thread.

How can some people be so stupid.

Reply #184362 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

The idea that a team in the playoffs has nothing to lose is ludicrous. There is a fair difference between exceeding expectations and nothing to lose. You think Atlanta give a flying f that they are 'silencing the experts'?

Bottom line, neither of the teams have won anything yet.

Reply #184368 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

TR did i see you running next to the Chinese flame in the tele?

Reply #184372 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Well the series has certainly turned on its ear. I wish I could have actually seen the game this morning, but based on the boxscore and radio commentary on WEEI Boston I have a couple of comments:

1. Boston took way more shots than Atlanta, but could not make enough shots under pressure in the 4th.

2. Atlanta is taking it hard to the basket and getting to the line A LOT. Their FTs kept them in the game. Will be interesting to see if they get the same calls in Boston.

3. Boston's bench is not getting it done. Some of this is on Cassell and House, who couldn't make a shot while the starters were out. More of it is on Doc, who didn't trust Big Baby and PJ enough to spell Garnett, who the commentators said was fatigued in the 4th.

4. Ray Allen got torched by Joe Johnson in the 4th. This might have been a defensive breakdown (once again wish I could have seen the game), but I think Doc needs to get Tony Allen involved defensively. He should be able to stay in front of JJ and at least wear him down a little over the course of a game. Allen's defence and energy was important for Boston during the season so why not use it now?

5. Key moment in 4th: Posey hits a 3, Celts down 3 with a couple of minutes to go. Pierce switches to guard JJ and gets him to miss but that leaves Allen guarding Childress, who grabs the offensive board over Ray's back. Atlanta then scores. Risky matchups there for the C's. Personally would have like to have seen Big Baby or PJ in there for Allen. They would put a body on Horford, allowing Garnett to stay on Smith, Pierce on Childress and Posey on JJ.

All in all, Boston had their chances but could not put the Hawks away. Doc needs to make some adjustments for the C's to win this series and I think this includes giving more of Ray's minutes to Posey and Allen.

We shall see on Thursday...

Reply #184373 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

No

Reply #184386 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Atlanta weren't meant to come close to the Celtics. One team had the best regular season record in the league, the other team was one of the worst records in history to make the playoffs. Boston lose this series they are bigger chokers than the Mavericks.

Celtics had the best away record in the league, 31-10. Why choke in the playoffs and drop two straight. In the last game they had 2 ten points leads and still dropped the game. Everyone had money on this being a total annihilation, 4-0.

You don't think the Boston media will be asking questions??? You don't think Doc Rivers won't be getting a hard time??? In some ways it will be harder going back to Boston as they will have the spotlight directly shining on them. The whole city will be asking questions.

Quotes from Rajon after the game:

"We don't want what happened to Dallas last year to happen to us,"

"They have a lot of confidence now - one through five,"

From Ray Allen:

"There's a serious nature of business now that we have to tend to,"

From Doc:

'Listen, you've got to go make it OK. Don't just rely on going home. You've got to go make it OK.'

Sounds to me that the Celtics are running a little scared and took this series for granted as a walk in the park. Remember it's only one game back in Boston before heading back to Atlanta for game 6.

Reply #184393 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I hope Atlanta become the first team with a 37-45 record to win the Championship.

Reply #184395 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

I do think there is a reaosnable amount of pressure on Boston considering what happened to Dallas last year... However, the real pressure comes in the fact that if they do drop game 5 at home, then they have to head back to Atlanta where they have just dropped two games in a row, down 3-2 and will be facing a hungry team with a vey pumped up crowd one game away from closing out the series - if that scenario is not pressure I don't know what is?

Reply #184409 | Report this post

Afroman Jnr  
Years ago

remember only game 5 is in boston then they go back to atlanta for game 6. so even if boston get this one then atlanta get to give it another crack at home and maybe force it in to game 7 (at boston) so losing this one isn't what people are making it out to be, but if they win this one at boston they get the chance to beat possibly the best team and kick them out the playoffs AT home, which is huge for atlanta

Reply #184411 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

What momentum do Boston have at the moment?? True, it's nothing to worry about until a team loses at home, but no-one thought it would go this far (well, maybe only Cheeze would). If the Celtics are playing cautious then they are in trouble. They haven't been cautious all season, why start now???

The majority of people believed that the Celtics would now be heading home with this series on ice. The Celtics now go home for 1 game with the series tied at 2-2.

Atlanta can now go to Boston knowing full well that they can afford to lose and they still get one game at home to tied up the series. The Celtics lose game 5 then they have to go into enemy territory and win an away game and return to Boston to clinch the series.

I still think that Boston would ultimately win the series, but if the Hawks spring the upsets of all upsets I won't be surprised.

Reply #184413 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Tech Fouls.
ATL 2nd Qtr7:24 Zaza Pachulia
ATL 2nd Qtr7:24 Joe Johnson
BOS 2nd Qtr7:24 Kevin Garnett
BOS 2nd Qtr7:24 Sam Cassell

what happened?.

Reply #184423 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Bascially KG and Zaza got tangled up over a loose ball. Zaza head butted KG's arm and then KG pushed Zaza away. Zaza has then walked up and I guess he was feeling tired rested his forehead on KG's forehead.

Reply #184428 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Here is the footage...

http://linky.com.au/kny5j

Reply #184430 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Thats hell funny, Pachulia Got Firedd Up Big TIme.

Reply #184435 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Has everyone forgotten about a certain Mr Stern?

No way the Hawks will get to the line that much the rest of the series.

Boston in 6

Reply #184439 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

talk that KG will be looked at as during the scuffle he has handled the ref, debate is wether the ump was holding KG back or the other way around. Also Perk stepped onto the court when it happened and could get suspended like amare did. I'm hopefully the celtics can come back but they are sure making it hard for themselves, also don't understand why tony and house are not getting more burn.

Reply #184444 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Agrree who is doing that, i got one to.

Reply #184448 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

dang.... surely this deserves an IP banning..

handle hijacking should be a hangable offense.

Reply #184463 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The email address of the 'contributor' impersonating other users is [email protected].

Reply #184477 | Report this post

lebron23  
Years ago

i certaintly would love to see them to beat the c's

Reply #184491 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Beantown's coming to get you after Saturday Lebron23.
Bend thy knee to Lucky the Leprachaun, for he has come to take your crown!

Reply #184898 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:29 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754