charmaine
Years ago

ABL starting fives

lets have an early look at how teams are shaping up....
eastern: holmes (?if he plays), trebilcock, goodenough, davis, bungey, mason.
woodville: who knows?, wilson, puddifoot, young guns, whitmore?
north: mckay, hawkes, hambour, zorich, ?.....
sturt: williams, bauer, forman??, shephard, finkemeyer, james martin.
southern: clarke, gerlach, pochintesta??, hodges, bowley.
forestville: sullivan, sutton, dix, farman, mcdonald taylor.
norwood: who knows...lomman, bell, arnold, krause, webber, sapwell??
south: kosmider, scanlon, thur, blight, panther, joynes??
west: pearce, evans, phillips, bell, truslove.
centrals: wilkey, atkins, clayton, vandenbergh, vic guy??

looks like a great competition to me, and i am predicting the biggest crowds in 10 years to flock back to suburban hoops.

Topic #1575 | Report this topic

Wow, you are so horribly wrong with Woodville. Here's what it looks like:

Guards: Wilson, Birmingham
Forwards: Fuller, Reeves
Centre: ?

I'm not sure what position Zane (Reeves) will play, I think he's not tall enough to play centre, so whoever plays that will be a mystery to me. It will definitely be a change from last season though, this year Woodville will have to rely on fast breaks to win games, unlike last season, where they more or less used the 24 on every offense.

Reply #17962 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

That's a pretty young line-up for Woodville!!

For Norwood, throw Thompson, Schaftenaar etc in the mix. They are maybe the deepest team?

Is David Cooper playing local league?

Reply #17972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Cooper is going back to play in New Zealand.

Reply #17975 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

how come ng isnt in the woodville line-up?

Reply #18001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for forestville what about brenton campbell?

Reply #18002 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Or Gower for Sturt?

Did someone post without fully thinking through? Is that very unusual on this site? :D

Reply #18014 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Campbell is in Cairns and will be playing ABL up there.

I would assume that Baggott is starting at centre for Woodville.

Gower is playing for Sturt.

Mason (Eastern) has gone to Mt Gambier.

Kent is playing for North.

Pochintesta has moved back to WA.

Sapwell has NO plans to play for Norwood; not at this stage anyway.

Cooper is going back to play in NZ.

Ng has stated that he is playing and will be playing for Woodville, but word on the street is that he still isn't sure.

Reply #18021 | Report this post

smithy  
Years ago

does anyone know about the chick teams

Reply #18022 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Last time I spoke to Baggott he wasn't playing. He's playing football again this year and is using the silly season as his pre season to stay in shape.
And has Kent actually signed???

Reply #18025 | Report this post

Libertine, i HAVE given my post some thought... ;)

Here it is.

Eastern: Davis, Trebilcock, Goodenough, Brad Hill and (this spot will vary depending on opposition). Holmes will not play for the majority of the year.

Woodville: Ng, Rees, Wilson, Birmingham, Reeves. (Fuller a close 6th man)

North: McKay, Hawkes, Zorich, Kent, Hambour. (Groves (x2) unluckily off the bench)

Sturt: Williams, Gower, Bauer, Finklemeyer, Puddifoot. (Forman realy should be playing OS!)

Forestville: Dix, Sutton, Sullivan, Mottram, Farman. Oh dear...

Southern: Clarke, Gerlach, Wood, Hoban, Bowley. (Hodges boys off bench). Also perhaps a recruit to push Wood to the bench (depending on matchups.)

Centrals: Wilkey, Reggie, Vic Guy, Clayton, Harrison. Atkins unlucky but they need Harrison inside.

South: Truck, Scanlon, Kosmider, Panther, Lucas Smith??? Panther, perhaps you can help me out on this one. Not really sure on the roster at South.

Norwood: Thompson, Webber, Krause, Bell, Arnold. They very well could be the deepest team.

West: Bell, Truslove, Phillips, Evans, NASH!?? (perhaps not, probably pearce)

Well folks, thats my view on the Mens league... I will give the women some thought and get back to you.

Reply #18027 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Doesnt Brad Hill have another year at the institute???

Ive heard Maher is playing for Sturt and Ozzie is staying. That will make them tough to beat.

Schaftenaar might start instead of Belly at Nwd because Belly is coming off knee surgery but it will probably depend on the opposition??

Reply #18028 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I also heard that Oscar was staying. Brad Hill has another year at the 'tute, yes.

Is there any chance Cooper will be playing local league?

Based on those names, top 4 will be in no particular order: Forestville, Sturt, Norwood, North.

Reply #18033 | Report this post

Crocodile Rock  
Years ago

I think you'll find that Truslove is staying in New Zealand.

Sturt look like the team to beat but I thought Forman was going over to New Zealand as well?

If a team with first six of Maher, Bauer, Williams, Forman, Gower, Puddifoot don' win it then something is terribly wrong.

Reply #18035 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Groves brothers aren't playing . . . if they're coming off a bench, it'll be the footy bench.

Haven't heard anything on Puddifoot playing at Sturt.

Brad Hill does have another year at AIS.

Have heard rumours of Maher playing at Sturt, as well as Mottram and Newley playing at Forestville, and Truslove playing at West. Only rumours though.

Reply #18036 | Report this post

chance  
Years ago

i would imagine centrals to start reggie, wilkey, watson, harvey and clayton or instead of harvey go with hammond and clayton, then come with atkins, clausen in the main rotation and a few other promising young fellars.

Reply #18039 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

I heard Dean Kingsman is leaving Forestville to the AIS... is the rumour true on his replacement?

Reply #18042 | Report this post

easy rider  
Years ago

Deak I think you may be right about the Eagles Mottram & Newley will join Dix/Farman/Jennings as their new recruits for the 2005 season.

Reply #18047 | Report this post

There are only so many shot attempts to go round!!!

Reply #18049 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Or rebounds in the case of that Forestville line-up!

Three centres who would start on any other team -- uh oh...

Reply #18050 | Report this post

forget the shot attempts with North, between Kent and Kies there's not enough head bands to go around!!!

Reply #18058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isn't puddi staying at woodville and i heard rees was heading there too

Reply #18062 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Rite,

Interesting comment. I would think that he wold go for a couple of jobs coming up soon, but i think it is a bit soon to say he already is heading there. Certainly wouldn't help Forestville at all. Would you like to expand where you heard that?

Reply #18063 | Report this post

Wounded Eagles  
Years ago

Shots or rebounds to go around ??? more like bandages and doctors appointments will be F'Villes frontlines biggest problems.

Reply #18064 | Report this post

The Punisher  
Years ago

What about Ryan Frangers (???) for the North men????? He doesnt seem to get shown much love from his club. Dallas is another. Any thoughts people?????

Does anyone care about the ABL women on this web site??? There are womens teams out there that play a much more attractive brand of basketball than the mens eg Forrestville, North.

Reply #18069 | Report this post

??  
Years ago

"more attractive" - true

Reply #18070 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

In the know. Answer to your question is that I have heard (again only could be rumors) that Dean will be off to the AIS in 2005. The new coach is a coach who is currently not coaching an ABL side at present but the reason for the number of high quality players heading to Forestville. Not only that, I have also heard Narelle Lindsay will be back. I could also confirm that I have heard that Jessica Bibby will be at North next year. If these at true, it makes North and Forestville very strong and national champion contenders.

Reply #18071 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Women.

1. North
2. Forestville
3. Sturt
4. West
5. Southern
6. Norwood
7. South
8. Eastern
9.Woodville
10. Centrals

I reckon im pretty close. Any one disagree I welcome feedback.

Reply #18072 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

So Dean is not coaching? Is the coach a local coach and Forestville connected or outside the State. Narelle would be an interesting pick up but I would say there could be few other clubs chasing her. I think Bibby is a certain starter at North.

Reply #18073 | Report this post

streets disciple  
Years ago

Regarding Woodvilles starting 5 I think fuller would start over reeves.
Also is rees goin to the Warriors??
I am pretty sure Puds will not be playing @ woodville?????

Reply #18074 | Report this post

??  
Years ago

speaking of coach movements any word on norwoods ass. coach yet. Heard they may be getting a former NBL great over there.

Reply #18075 | Report this post

pioneer  
Years ago

Rite

would it be JS who bleeds blue and gold when cut?

Reply #18078 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Also speaking of Woodville...Jarod Graves?? Havent seen him mentioned at Woodville, or any other team for that matter.

Reply #18081 | Report this post

Streets Disciple  
Years ago

I heard Graves is having a year off to rest his shins??

Is there any truth to the rees and puddifoot rumour??

Reply #18082 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Isaac, you need to get a hold of all these players and get them to have a press conference and release these details into this thread!

Reply #18100 | Report this post

Puddifoot is 99% gone. I am not sure about Rees, but why would he leave Forestville to a club like Woodville? Ng will probably take the year off to study. Graves has shin splints, so he will also take the year off.

They only have two starters from last season (Wilson and Fuller) so it will be interesting to see how they go.

Reply #18103 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Why would Rees leave Forestville? Cap issues? All of a sudden Woodville without their starters have a bit of money to throw around?

Reply #18104 | Report this post

Oh ok, I wasn't aware there was a cap.

Well, the starting five is complete, now for the bench...

Reply #18105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rees has played for woodville and he hasn't been happy at forestville just ask him!

Reply #18111 | Report this post

middle stump  
Years ago

rees is very chummy / popular at woodville - they worshipped the ground he walked on - they are desperate for a big man - Forestville not so.

Zane Reeves is nowhere tall enough to survive as a centre - number 3-4 player in my eyes.

Theory - i think you are a bit hard on the Warriors - their men have been a pace setter for several seasons now - the only problem is they have been perpetual bridesmaids at the big game.

Reply #18126 | Report this post

middle stump  
Years ago

In the know - top 3 - i agree - but west 4th - ??

who are the bearcats getting ??

i would put Norwood 4th - they have a good u21 unit on the way.

1 - North
2 - Forestville / Sturt - depends on the weather
3 -
4 - Norwood
5 - South - although i have no idea who is lining up
6 - woodville - if they keep the lightning girl - if not number 9
7 - west - unless they get some new players
8 - Mavs - just a stab here - i have no idea what is going on - but there junior girls are waning
9 - tigers - woodville beat them last season - unless they are getting new blood
10 - centrals - may have a great coach with good attitude - but we all know the stary

Reply #18127 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul Rees will go where he's paid and Forestville have less room for a veteran centre than ever before.

If Brad Hill has another year at AIS, how much of the ABL season can he fit in before/after he returns?

Some good names returning (Mottram, Farman, Dix, Thompson, Truslove -- if all these line-ups are accurate) that should make it a competitive and entertaining season.

Reply #18133 | Report this post

streets discipl  
Years ago

Wilson and Fuller didn't start last year for Woodville..

Woodville have good young player who have been there for a while and are ready to step up- Fuller, Jr Ng, Birmingham, reeves.

Reply #18137 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

id be very surprised to see reeves start for woodville. Birmingham should, its about time he finally got some recognition after getting dicked around and getting no recognition at north, but then again, hard to criticise that since they had such a wealth of good young players. Brad hill will not suit in the ABL this year, being at AIS he will be playing in the SEABL, so dont look to see him anywhere in SA. Newley will not play for forestville.

Reply #18138 | Report this post

easy rider  
Years ago

Newley will play at Forestville around his Australian committments

Reply #18139 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

Newley will not play for forestville in the 2005 ABL season. Look to see him either playing up in QLD or in the SEABL again, but not for the tut, inside word has it he is tending towards playing up in townsville over winter, as he will be playing the 2005/06 NBL season with the Crocs

Reply #18150 | Report this post

easy rider  
Years ago

Only time will tell richrad however I feel prety confident about my sources

Reply #18161 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Didn't Sam Mac win a national title with the Townsville ABL team? Isaac, the SEABL season as you know coincides with the Central Comp!

Reply #18171 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Of course. Well, the Mavericks might be a little less competitive this year should Holmes not suit much/at all...

Reply #18190 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

Easy time will tell, im also pretty confident in my sources, so lets just wait and see. would be a nice surprise if he did tho, give a little something extra to the comp

Reply #18192 | Report this post

Supreme Eag  
Years ago

Eags Line up... and what a team to beat.

1) Dix - like a 21 y/o gazelle again
2) Farnam - no whispering Jack
3) Motteram - big!
4) Sullivan - the big dog
5) Sutton - the silent assassin
6) Newley - too goo to be true
7) McDonald Taylor - the enforcer
8) Wood - the mind of Quentin Tarantino
9) Wilson - the collar
10) Hoban - hair bear
11) Gange - surprise package
12) Haydon - ????
13) Jennings - old man new tricks
14) Simons - is he gonna play??
15) Grocke - best on time trials during pre season

Good luck league!!!

Reply #18298 | Report this post

charcoal  
Years ago

settle down supreme eag....there is no way on earth newley will suit for eagles in ABL.....i doubt mottram will suit, and if farman is fit for a whole season, then my name is john howard.....the rest of the squad looks good though.....dix....watch out!!!

Reply #18301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:54 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754