sharpshooter
Years ago

Best NBA Draft in history?

Was reading an article the other day, it said that the 1986 draft, followed by 2000 were the worst draft's in NBA history... Made me wonder what was the best draft class in NBA history?

Not sure how to judge it... Hall of fame players, all stars. Interested to hear what others think.

Not in any order:-

1970 - Bob Lanier, Pete Maravich, Dave Cowens

1992 - Shaquille O'Neal, Alonzo Mourning etc

1984 - Micheal Jordan, Charles Barkley, John Stockton
Hakeem Olajuwon.

1965 - Rick Barry, Bill Bradley, Jerry Sloan

Topic #15762 | Report this topic

water65  
Years ago

1996 - Iverson, Kobe, Nash, Jermaine O'neal, Ray ray and others.

2003 has the potential to be the greatest class of all time - lebron, melo, Bosh, wade, kaman, Diaw, Barbosa, Josh Howard, Hindrich, Ford ...

Although i still believe that the 1984 draft class reigns surpreme, will be interesting 5-10 years down the track to see if the 2003 track can catch them

Reply #185698 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

1984 is up there defenitely!

03-04 would be up there!
lebron, carmelo, wade, bosh just to name a few!

Reply #185699 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

84' - Olajuwon, Jordan, barkley, stockton, Otis Thorpe, Kevin Willis, Michael Cage, Sam Perkins and Alvin Robertson

96' - Kobe, AI, camby, Nash, Ray Allen, Marbury, Shareef Abdur Rahim, Peja stojakovic, Jermaine O neal, Ilgauskas, ben wallace not drafted this year

03' - Lebron, D wade, Carmelo, Bosh, Josh Howard, David West, Diaw, kapono, Barbosa, hinrich, tj ford, kaman, korver, rickert lol

http://linky.com.au/8splx

Reply #185700 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Reply #185701 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

in the 96 draft todd fuller was drafted ahead of:
kobe
stojakovic
nash
j o'neal
ilgauskas
and derek fisher

off subject kinda i know, but still pretty funny.

Reply #185704 | Report this post

Eddie #55  
Years ago

Thought you would have said '93 vanexel31

Awesome draft. Shame Van Exel was useless hey. I mean Darnell Mee was a great import but come on.... 3 picks higher! (Don't even start me on Vin Baker!)

Good thing your such a good player to make up for Nick the Quicks general crappiness, hey?

Reply #185708 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Vin Baker was a absolute stud before he lost his soul to the bottle....

Reply #185711 | Report this post

whatever draft Wilt was in

Reply #185712 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

So was I TR

Reply #185741 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

03' draft
84' draft

and I must admit the 2005 draft was also quite nice; not overly brilliant but Williams, Paul, Bogut etc.

Reply #185750 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

hey eddie #55, van exel going pick #37 of the 93 draft was a joke, but nick didnt do himself any favours to be drafted higher. while doing a workout for seattle he wore a duke hat to piss off then coach george karl, skipped workouts completely with some other teams, and had character issues as it was. everyone knew nick could play, but there were fears he would turn into an isiaah rider type. one one more thing eddie, if i ever find you ill make u regret saying things about the greatest player ever (greatest in my eyes!).

Reply #185752 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

Well regarding the 96 draft...Kobe was straight out of high school, and I believe grew up for a time in Italy? not the standard road to the NBA, and a lot of teams mightn't have looked at his potential, considering he was only 18 I think. Let's not forget also that he was drafted by the Hornets first before becoming a draft day trade.

Stojakavic, well, traditionally don't europeans get picked later in the draft anyhow? if Todd Fuller did 2 or more years of college, it isn't suprising that he went first...especially because teams absolutely love picking big men with their first round picks.

Reply #185756 | Report this post

Eddie #55  
Years ago

vanexel31

if you ever find me......

tried knocking on the house next door mate?

maybe then we can battle it out to see who the best really was........ Van Exel #31 or Glen Rice #41!

Reply #185773 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

1985- #1 Draft Pick

PATRICK EWING!!!!!!!!

Ewing, Ewing Ewing!!!

Reply #185791 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

92 without a doubt

Reply #185792 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I think the 84 team had the most HOF'ers (Happy to be proven wrong) so that would settle the debate for now IMO.

Reply #185837 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

Off the top of my head the 70 draft class had more players go in to the hall of fame... even accounting for the fact that Jordan and Stockton are yet to go in... its a tough call... good discussion though

Reply #185854 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

your dead shauma!

Reply #185895 | Report this post

conor  
Years ago

1984 was the best ever draft. 4 of the 50 greatest players of all time all 4 are record holders.

1. Hakeem Olajuwon = became the only player in NBA history to win the NBA's Most Valuable Player (MVP), Defensive Player of the Year, and Finals MVP awards in the same season. League's all-time leader in blocked shots. Olajuwon is also the only NBA player ever to end his career in Top 10 for blocks (1st all-time) and steals (7th all-time).

3.. Michael Jordan = five MVP awards, ten scoring titles, three steals titles, six NBA Finals MVP awards, and the 1988 NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award. He holds the NBA record for highest career regular season scoring average with 30.12 points per game, as well as averaging a record 33.4 points per game in the playoffs. In 1999, he was named the greatest North American athlete of the 20th century by ESPN, and was second to Babe Ruth on the Associated Press's list of athletes of the century. He will be eligible for induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009.

5. Charles Barkley = MVP, Perrenial All Star, Shortest player to win a rebounding title, one of 2 players in NBA History to Compile 23,000; 12,000 rebounds and 4000 assists (the other is the great Wilt Chamberlain). One of four players in NBA History to compile 20,00 points , 10,000 rebounds and 4000 assist. Scored 39 points in a half( 2nd highest playoff performance in a half by an nba player) SEC Player of the decade. 2 time olympic MVP. Grabbed Career High 33 rebounds with 20 points.

14. John Stockton = averaged a career double-double, with 13.1 points and 10.5 assists per game. He holds the NBA's record for most career assists (15,806) by a considerable margin, as well as the record for most career steals (3,265). He had five of the top six assists seasons in NBA history (the other belonging to Isiah Thomas). He holds the NBA record for the most seasons and consecutive games played with one team, and is third in total games played, behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Robert Parish. He missed only 22 games during his career, 18 of them in one season. As a point of comparison, he played in 34 games where he tallied 20 or more assists.

Reply #203332 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:38 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754