bigboy
Years ago

Petition for NBL FTA.......

Is that how you spell pertition? Doesn't look right, but oh well. I have been a huge fan of the 36ers since 1986 and basketball in australia in general. What got me hooked and going to all the games was i was seeing it on free to air, even though it was later at night. I just don't understand why we don't get the respect of the channels to get our beloved sport on tv. I sincerely believe that it's a chicken and the egg type scenerio. Was basketball popular in the past already or did f.t.a tv push it that way? Or did tv jump on board because it was popular? Whatever the reason it seems logical to me that if we want new fans and our sport to boom again we need f.t.a.

I understand the arguement about tv stations feel that it is not worth their while and that they feel it doesn't rate. But why not put it on at 10.30pm? Surely it would rate better than a re-run of the news on ch9 or cheaters on ch7. It could even be shown following sports tonight on 10. As long as it is on!! How can clubs attract good sponsors with good money if the sponsor will not get their name or product attention other than a rotating court sign or a decal on the court which only would get noticed by the same 3,000 - 5,000 people that attend a match each week? Even then you would only pay attention to a sign perhaps pre-game. It just does not attract attention and is not really good advertising money for a business unless it gets good coverage on tv. Sponsors just do not have the same interest in paying big dollars if their product does't get on tv. Therefore the dilema, barely a naming rights sponsor, the nbl doesn't have the funds to push the league out there. But if you don't have coverage it won't get out to new fans. Ask yourself when you go to a game next time, is it the same faces you see every game/every year or are there new fans coming through the turnstiles?

I passionately believe that boom times are ahead if we can attract new fans via tv. No tv no growth!! The NBL needs to bite the bullet, PAY THE STATIONS if needed. They will get the money back by showing the public that basketball is entertaining and attracting them to come to a game and watch it live. I love AFL but going to a game at footy park oops I mean aami stadium with the spectator being so far from the action in the freezing cold rain does not come close to the atmosphere at the 'Dome' when the crowd is in full voice! Half the time at the footy you end up watching the action on the big screen because you can't see whats happening at the other end, its so far away. Not a problem at the basketball.

Why can't we as fans jump up and down, make some noise and get the big wigs at NBL headquaters to give the fans free to air. Foxtel doesn't even cover all the games anyway so it's not like i can just pay for fox to see my beloved sixers when they are playing away. I would be lucky if they had 2-3 away games all season.

Sorry to rant and rave I'm just sick of the nbl not getting off their backsides to promote the sport. How will it grow if it's not marketed well? How will it boom without free-to-air? Does anyone know the email address of the CEO? Do we even have one at the moment? Perhaps we as fans could bombard his email telling him we are sick of the procrastination GET IT ON FREE TO AIR!!

After all they will be the ones getting the big pay packet when the sport booms again, surely that is a good incentive. Everyone wins. Sponsors will jump on board as they get value for their advertisng dollars, players salaries will increase with more money in the sport therefore attracting our aussie stars to stay rather than going offshore all the time, we as fans will love the ever increasing level of talent and especially being able to watch our team every game whether its at home or especially on the road.

Your thoughts?..............

(Mod: Fixed the title and your spelling ;-))

Topic #15865 | Report this topic

Fezlington  
Years ago

my suggestion ........get Foxtel and u can watch it all u want

The NBL wont be on Free to Air anytime soon

Reply #186776 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Petition.

It's a nice dream, but I don't think a petition to the NBL (that is what you were wanting, yes?) would do anything. And I don't think a petition to any FTA station would do anything unless you had thousands and thousands (and thousands) of names on there.

Both parties know how much support the league has, therefore would know if it (the NBL on FTA) was a viable option. Apparently, it is not.

Sucks, but hopefully we can do well these Olympics, get a couple of more guys in the NBA, etc and have interest rise.

Then it's up to BA to get off the behinds and do something to make the league strong again.

Reply #186778 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

.....my wife wont let me have foxtel :-)

Reply #186780 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Just try to convince her that Foxtel is for educational purposes and let her know of all the fantastic 'Chick Flicks' that are available. And before anyone asks, No, this isn't what I did.

Reply #186781 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Ive tried it all Sturty. Unfortunetly, she knows me to well. I would be glued to every sports station constantly.

Reply #186783 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Skip, you really need to talk to the Minister of Finance over the inadequate budget restraints in the skip household.

You have a young family don't you, well all the educational shows plus 24 hour Simpsons (at times) along with the Family Guy to help mould young minds.

No Sturty, the chic flicks are for you and you know it. I heard you shed a tear during Jerry McGuire.

Reply #186785 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

It was a real tear jerker......

Reply #186789 | Report this post

rookie  
Years ago

I admire that there is a fan out there who is willing to take matters in to their own hands and not sit on their hands and watch their beloved sport go down the drain. Im with you big boy may be if more of us thought about possible solutions to the problems the nbl are going through and suggested actions we could try,we may even come up with some great ideas that could actually work to save the sport. Im sick of waiting for"the experts" to save it (great job they have done so far) the ball is in our court,after all we are the ones who will suffer if the nbl fails.I agree we need more media coverage,we need to get more articles in the paper,free to air tv would be great and more advetising about basketball events.I cant believe the boomers are playing in adelaide and the only place ive heard about it is here.I think we could suprise ourselves if we all got together and started to make some noise about how fantastic basketball is.We don`t need to change the sport we just have to get the word out and the crowds will come.

Reply #186811 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

theres nbl on 9 saturday mornings at 9 or 10ish, its a good start and if we always wtch that give it ratings and support the show then maybe nbl will go free to air, i doubt it though

Reply #186813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sunday mornings not saturady. hope the channel 9 coverage coninues in 08/09.

Reply #186825 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I wonder why ABC isn't showing the games. They show the WNBL (and yes I understand that some people believe that the ABC are only showing it because they have no choice in the matter) but I wouldn't mind the NBL doing so for the same reasons.

I've got Foxtel so I'm not overly affected; the only thing that sucks is the "pre-determined" matches of the week. It's always hilarious that they'll go to one city for a game based on "names and club prestige" while missing a blockbuster between to "bottom 4" sides.

I'm just hoping there aren't cutbacks in screenings this year. Considering how Foxtel has changed the showing of the NBA finals, I'd hate to see the effects be passed on to the NBL.

Reply #186845 | Report this post

bigboy  
Years ago

Thanks for your thoughts and yes i realised afterwards it was petition not PERtition. Argh english!! I get that fox has it but realistically how many away games for your own team do you get for the whole year? After all these are the games we can't get to. Maybe 4? So i will sign up for foxtel which will cost me about $1000/year for only 4 games? See why i haven't. It would be cheaper to fly to most of the games! If we don't at least start some noise no one will know. You never know there may actually be more people out there who would make some noise with us for it to go to FTA. Surely it's better than sitting around bagging a player or a coach. Use your powers for good and not for evil. The point someone made about the wnbl is correct how come THAT is on abc and not the mens? Surely the mens would rate better!

Thanks guys.

Reply #186986 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Hasn't this site got over petitions already?

Reply #187033 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

hmmm

Reply #249975 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:54 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754