Keefy
Years ago

NBL facing extinction without sponsors

Found this on the herald sun web site this morning.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23775100-11088,00.html

Firepower is not only affecting the Sydney Kings but also some of the players from Super 14 side Western Force.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23772762-5002381,00.html

Topic #15971 | Report this topic

Quagmire  
Years ago

Is it safe to say that the NBL's move to the summer months has been a monumental failure?

I understand they didn't want to compete with the various football codes, but in the summer time, when the weather is fine, people don't want to stay at home to watch a game, or go to a stadium to watch a game, they want to take advantage of the extra sunlight hours and heat by doing things outdoors...

Move it back to winter.

Start our season the moment the NBA finishes.

Accept that people are realy into their football, i know i love the footy, but shock horror,

YOU CAN FOLLOW TWO SPORTS AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!.

In winter there is nothing to do outdoors after 6 coz its too damn cold and its already dark. Play the game in winter, try to schedule games that don't conflict too heavily with football matches, ie weekday games and sunday nights.

Oh and one more thing, someone, anyone put together a highlights package that has HIGHLIGHTS in it! No layups unless preceeded with a mad cross-over and numerous mid-air changes, no mundane 3pt shots unless game winners when the crowd goes off or unless they are from a metre (min) back from the line (ebi ere style) Most of all, Dunks! Mad, in your face dunks!
They don't have to be from last season, no-one would care if it was a sick posterisation from three or four seasons ago...

Sorry for the long bleat but i really want something to happen for our L. Move to winter. Please.

Reply #187950 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I love my footy and rugby league. Scheduled the NBL would clash so they would really need to work it so that it doesn't clash. Footy will be 1st priority over basketball for me.

I don't mind the summer games as I'm happy to visit the stadium and it gives me something to do post footy season.

But I can see the logic of failure and the points of some on why summer time is bad.

Reply #187955 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I disagree.

1 - You have got 6 weeks of school holidays in the summer where every year most teams get bigger crowds in.
2 - AFL is a lot bigger now than it was 10 years ago. Its taking off a lot more in Sydney and Brisbane and it is very firmly established with more teams on the way. It would be near impossible to drag many people away from the football that would have gone to the basketball as well during the summer.
3 - You also compete with NRL, Rugby Union, V8 Supercars (also massivly bigger than it was 10 years ago) & Netball. Not just for bums on seats but for any sort of televison coverage.
4 - The only regular competition we have to deal with in the summer for bums on seats is the A-League. Even that only Impacts on half of the teams and with a little communication between the 2 leagues, it is easy to avoid clashes.

Reply #187962 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

A lot of things are run during winter, with good reason too! They realise the fact that people are in a state of hybernation during winter, its darker sooner and cold all the damn time.

What the league has to ask itself is, are we more likely to get people who love b'ball the most to choose our sport over the other sports, or will more people be lured to the sport in summer because there is nothing else on.

They gambled on the fact people would come because its the only sport on- what they forgot is that its not just about sports. During the summer months there are so many other things to do, holidays like x-mas, new years, festivals like food and wine, concerts by the truck load. While they did avoid the football and various other sports, they forgot the other distractions of summer lifestyles.

Soccer and cricket can work in summer coz they are outdoor sports and people like the sun. They don't want to be tucked inside a stadium.

Reply #187972 | Report this post

Wiseman  
Years ago

One time there was a thong company. The boss of the thong company had 2 salesman. He sent the 1st salesman to malaysia to see if anyone owned thongs and if they could expand their business into Malaysia. The 1st salesman came back quite sullen and said boss everyone already has thongs and I can't see how we will sell them when everyone already has them. A little frustrated the boss sent his 2nd salesman over. The 2nd Salesman came back and said boss its brilliant. Everyone has thongs our market, the thong market over there is massive. We will have to sell better thongs but I am sure we can make it a huge success.

Move to winter, go head to head with the other sports. Hell there are 1.2 Mill aprox people in Adelaide. There is a big enough market to move to Winter and compete with the sports. The reason why these sports are in Winter is because that is when more people get out to sporting events. Stop been pussies and scared of competition!

Reply #187975 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

High five wiseman.

Reply #187976 | Report this post

James W  
Years ago

""The Kings and Bullets are two clubs that have increased the financial pressure on themselves, the league and the other clubs by establishing new benchmarks in player conditions and payments in their bids to secure championships and stronger positions within the sporting landscapes in their communities."

I love it. Someone openly admitting in the media that the Bullets bought a championship...and that if things go pear shaped, it fucks you over.

Reply #187979 | Report this post

Watcher  
Years ago

Correct Wiseman. It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Reply #187989 | Report this post

Hoop Fiend  
Years ago

Has anyone seen a Firepower product on the shelf? Does this company actually sell anything, i heard they were just into R&D and had no cash flow. Their boss seems great at selling new shares, but i am not aware of his company having any income.

The financial issues for the Brisbane owner are well documented, and Eddy Groves has always seemed pretty genuine, but this Sydney guy sounds dodgy as. Who ever let him he responsible for a players mortgage? Does sound like Hinder may lose his house in the next day or two, and someone in the NBL front office {if he is still there? } should take part of the blame.

Reply #187990 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Wiseman - You don't need to make a thong and dance about it.

...now to remove that terrible punchline from my mind; They SHOULD move the league back to winter; however a move which would put the sport against the AFL and NRL would require a CEO whom contains copeous amounts of testicular fortitude. This doesn't actually exist yet, otherwise the current crisis wouldn't even be happening.

Reply #188007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there is a dwindling market for an unwanted product you need to grow your market. For the last time understand unless we grow the junior comp by revitalizing it and making it parent /player friendly, the top end product has no audience future.

Junior basketball needs an urgent revamp involving centralised playing venue to reduce spiralling petrol costs exaggerated by venues like Mt Barker , Starplex and Tigerville, score table operatives need to be admitted free( parents now have the double whammy of paying to get in to watch and having to score etc) plus reductions in spectator/player charges as basketball remains uncompetitive in dollars terms compared to main rivals to it.

Make the ABL a showpiece and get juniors to the games, each club responsible for having at least their div 1 teams attend or reps from them.

The damage done to juniors by speculation about the future of the NBL is huge and players and parents question 'real pathways' evem more. Spend money to make it and dress the ABL up as lady you want to take out.

Reply #188041 | Report this post

Library Geek  
Years ago

Has anyone considered the fact the sport is suffering is because nobody (or very few Australians) consider it entertaining. How many folks do you speak to that say the most entertaining part of the game is the last few minutes and even then only if the scores are close. Lots of folks think basketball is too much same old same old - small court with pretty much the same type of action happening. This is the views of the non-purist.

Look at soccer, possibly a good comparision as it's very popular overseas - very few spectators to A-league matches because we don't see it as being entertaining. The international games, especially the World Cup qualifiers, get a lot of spectators but it is the huge media coverage and the anticipated atmosphere at the stadiums that gets the crowds in. There isn't the basketball equivalent of this in Australia.

Folks only have a fixed budget to spend on their entertainment so live basketball isn't competing only with AFL, Rugby, V8 cars, rock shows, etc but also with Foxtel, movies, playstation, internet, theater. This puts basketball a fair way down most peoples lists.

Reply #188047 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

I was going to hand over my hard earned to renew my season tickets on Friday the 30th May. We have had these seats since the Powerhouse 1st opened.

I will now keep my $$ in the bank and wait and see.

The NBL is a lame duck waiting to be put out of its misery.

Reply #188094 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

If you think that the change to summer was the reason for the decline and that going back to winter will bring back the golden years... then you are sadly mistaken.

Here are just a couple of things that need to be fixed to begin a rebuild...

1) Price; its too expensive to attend NBL.

2) Marketing; NBL is not promoted enough, does the NBL have a USP (unique selling proposition) what is better/different about the NBL?

Fix those 2 to begin with..we will be back on track

Reply #188103 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

+1

Reply #188572 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:53 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754