me
Years ago

NBL Finances - How does it work?

Can anyone tell me just how financial is the league.

Like many, I have concerns about the league and its ability to continue.

Is it entirely financed by the teams or does it receive some government assistance?

If teams were to collapse, does the NBL have any responsibilities to pay out contracts etc?

How much does it cost to run the NBL each year?

How much revenue does the NBL earn?

Can the "league" fold even though some clubs are viable, if so..what then?

What happened when the national baseball league collapsed?

im just interested if any of our knowledgeable posters can enlighten me..thanks

Topic #16022 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Doubt they'd have any real responsibility to pay out contracts. They have a bit of emergency hardship fund to help out (e.g., current situation with Sydney), but I don't think they are obliged to do that.

Guessing, but I'd say revenue might be from sponsorship, levy on finals tickets, franchise licenses and perhaps on-going fees from clubs. I'd guess that their expenses would be staff, referees, etc.

At this point, the league is mostly run by representatives of each club, so as long as their are enough clubs that want to carry on, I'd say the league will still exist (at least until the review decides otherwise).

Not sure if you'll get much more than more guesses in response to all of this.

Reply #188655 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

If a club folds - the player would need to talk to the liquidator

If the league folds - all bets are off as I imagine there would be a 'force majeure' situation - can't contract someone to play basketball when there is no league to play in. This event may also be expressly dealt with in the player's contracts.

Either way, without a 'hardship fund' as Isaac is suggesting, the players will lose out.

Reply #188657 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

I think the original questions are ones that not even the NBL can answer on any given day, thats why they are in strife.

Reply #188718 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

News overnight about GM`s reassessment of its brands (Hummer in particular) - is not good news either... I`d hate to own one of those hideous monstrosities now... Unless i`m a Sheik...

Reply #188727 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:15 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754