Kent Brockman
Years ago

Mike W back in charge of the Kings

Channel 7 reported this morning that former Kings owner Mike Wrublewski has taken the reigns as the new owner.

My guess is the NBL will be back in winter before you know it

Topic #16034 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

http://linky.com.au/vlv41

Yep its true...

Kings survive to fight another day...can Brisbane stay afloat too?

Reply #188788 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I hope Brisbane remain. I have a soft spot for the Bullets and miss Leroy Loggins.

Reply #188793 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Back in the day, he was the owner that everyone loved to hate.

Can I see a cage match between him and McPeake brewing for halftime entertainment at the first SYD v MEL game?

My house on McPeake to win.....Now THAT would be a body slam to behold.

Welcome back Mike.....whether it was because of you, or in spite of you, the Kings heyday was during your reign. I hope it returns.

Reply #188818 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Kent, why do guess that the NBL will be back to playing in winter soon?

If there is good evidence that the NBL can pull bigger crowds in winter I am all for it, but I'm not sure there is any time of year that will improve NBL numbers significantly at the moment. The sporting market is pretty saturated these days.

Reply #188819 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I just can't see how a change of season (again) would be a good idea. The crowd issues aren't because of the time of year!

Fix the things that aren't working first. Make it as easy as possible for media to get information (results, injuries, etc) - basically do their job for them.

One big Eastern-states paper was going to use results posted on the OzHoops forum last year because they couldn't get a reliable score from the NBL web site. In the end, they just pulled the mention/story because they weren't confident that the results were correct.

Reply #188822 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Mike W jumped when the league switched to summer, Chuck has mentioned that the switch was a big problem.

So i would expect to see it go back to Winter with these 2 persuasive players now on the block.

In summer people want to go to the beach spend time in the sun etc.

In winter people want to be inside out of the cold, which basketball has a big plus next to its name.

Yes the winter sports market has afl and rugby to compete with.

However i dont recall the media coverage in the summer being that much more than what it was when the game was in the winter.

NBA playes in the winter as does Euro.

Reply #188823 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Chuck's mention, IMO, was more about how they went directly from one season to another and how that was a financial hit for clubs.

In winter, people don't want to bother leaving the house, IMO. They're more inclined to just stay at home.

Reply #188825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From a Sydney perspective, summer was one of the 2 or 3 major killer blows. No doubt about it. Winter would absolutely better. It might be a Sydney-centric thing only, but Mike W is absolutely correct for this market at least.

Reply #188832 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spotted on OzHo:

Mike W was just on Long Lunch on Fox, being officially interviewed as the new owner. He said some interesting things - including that the league should move June to December. The NBL should also take a year off to get their stuff together.

Reply #188841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a decent push beyond Mike W to scrap 08/09.
I guess what it would really depend on is the size and scope of the recommendations from this review. If it's just another spit and shine, there wouldn't be a need. But if it's a wholesale A-League type overhaul, I say take the time to get it right.

For mine - what is wrong with the league far outweighs what is right, and despite what some of the CEO's of the more 'secure' clubs like to say, I think it's league wide, with the teams in trouble just being the tip of the iceberg that can be seen above water.

Reply #188843 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Care to list the right/wrong issues?

IMO, there have to be a number of teams, they need to play each other multiple times, they have to fly to fulfill that, there should be some sort of measure to achieve parity (e.g., either or both caps), etc. They're the main things and there are only so many ways you can achieve them.

There are other elements outside of the control of the league and clubs: competition for customer wallets or in the media, media coverage, etc.

Within control of the league, you have the number of clubs and where they're located (I don't think they're far off with this), how they interact with media and present themselves (see my earlier post about the paper who gave up trying to get a game score) where they have a lot of room for improvement and centralised marketing for the league which is probably the biggest issue*.

If the review says re-brand, do it next off-season and avoiding meddling too much. Give people a year off from buying season tickets and they might get used to the idea.

* You see AFL ads, NBA ads, WNBA ads, etc but who can remember seeing an NBL ad? The best we've had are ridiculous slogans mentioned on the league site.

Reply #188848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC and the champ33-
The buzz around Brisbane today is that recruitment queen Sarina Russo is quite keen to buy the Bullets and she said in an interview that she was a front-runner for the purchase back in April but got pipped by David Kemp and his (now dodgy) consortium.
As at last financial year, she was valued at $80 million, so hopefully there will be more developments to report on this soon.

Reply #188907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would the winter season not allow our european players to come back and play large parts of the season, i.e. nielsen, anderson, newley etc.

but surely it would be hard to get a look in in the fox sports schedule around super 14, afl, nrl and the beloved anz championship

Reply #188911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

at the end of the day, nbl needs to work harder and get their act together. the quality of the competition is so good they have no excuse to fail; there're some smaller less quality basketball league in asia that does considerably better than nbl (nbl should feel disgraced about that)

Reply #188912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

at the end of the day, nbl needs to work harder and get their act together. the quality of the competition is so good they have no excuse to fail; there're some smaller less quality basketball league in asia that does considerably better than nbl (nbl should feel disgraced about that)...especially when you go out in public (eg. bars, pubs etc) whenever nbl is on tv, there's always decent crowd watching the game. nbl just needs to try so much harder in marketing and league exposure.

Reply #188913 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:32 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754