me
Years ago

Who is "over" the Olympics?

It might just be me (showing my age) but who else is over the Olympics?

We know that half* the people competing will have used some form of performance enhancing drugs.

We know that half the people competing have changed countries just to get into the Olympics

We know that the goverment of the country hosting the games is an evil empire who are exploiting the competitors and all of us for their own political gain.

We know that half the competitors will end up on our TV screens adnauseam as the latest... getaway, sports, reality TV, reporter. regardless of talent as long as they look good.

We know that half the sports included shouldnt even be considered sports..let alone Olympic sports.

grumble grumble grumble...young people today...grumble grumble grumble...back in my day...

:)

Topic #16100 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

I'm campaigning for the return of the Tug of War.

Was an Olympic sport until 1920.

I'd like to see singles, pairs and 8 team tug of war events brought back. No doubt it would be an instant crowd favourite.

me - Im not over it. I try to look past all the political crap. Come August i will once again become an expert on a variety of sports events from diving to the polevault, Waterpolo and of course gymnastics.

Reply #189450 | Report this post

You  
Years ago

Bring on Roy and HG!

Reply #189471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they are not doing it this year.

Reply #189474 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

It's just you showing your age mate. The Olympics is the greatest sporting event in the world.

Reply #189475 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

The Olympics is a corrupt, nationalistic boondoggle.

I dont understand why people suddenly become enthused about a multitude of sports which they wouldn't have the slightest interest in when the Olympics aren't on.

I'm only going to watch the basketball and the soccer.

Reply #189483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't WAIT for the bball. The Aussies should have one of the best ever teams and a medal is a serious possibility.

Reply #189503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The overwhelming a majority of competitors ARE competing for they're own country (but i know what you mean) and most of them don't take drugs. But there are still far too many who do.

I hate it when people compete for a country which isn't their own tho eg ben gordan and loul deng.

Reply #189504 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Glad i'm not the only one who thinks like this... The Olympics as a whole are just a big crock of ###t - that said i will follow the Aussie Bball teams and the cycling (insert doping jokes here: ........)... The rest of it pfffft!

For me the Eric "the eel" was the staw that broke the camel's back... When everyone was harping on about how he exemplified the olympic spirit - i was thinking about all of the other COMPETENT swimmers who also didn't get past the prelim heats who had trained for longer than a few months/weeks (by longer than - i mean for many years, every day from 5am in the morning) for "privelige" of an olympic berth... And along comes this joke... I remember watching his swim on Roy and H.G. and i honestly thought it was a (in very bad taste put up job - given the bizzaro world nature of what i was seeing) - then the next day i picked up "The Australian" and saw the front page...

Reply #189575 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not quite Ancient Greece, fastest, fittest, strongest, eh?

Reply #189588 | Report this post

Years ago

Ben Gordon was born in England, and Luol Deng grew up there (representing England at under-16 and under-19 level) and holds British citizenship, so I don't see any problem with their eligibility at all. Seems like a bit of anti-English bias, because those players would probably tear Australia apart in International competition. And no, I'm not English at all :-D

Reply #189593 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Considering how crap the majority of television shows are nowadays; the olympics is a refreshing change when it finally does air.

Reply #189596 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Only really interested in the team sports.

Reply #189607 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The coverage reminds me of Fox (and why I don't have it) - always on, but nearly always showing things you're barely interested in watching.

I can't think of anything I'm looking forward to seeing, except Boomers games. Even most of the basketball games feel really flat because there's rarely any atmosphere in the stadiums.

Reply #189609 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Most of the outdoor stadiums for athletics etc. will have more coughing from the pollution than applause.

"...and the Americans win the 1500m relay at 3h 25m 2s after crawling over the line. I'm fairly sure the Jamaicans are all dying from oxygen starvation and the Sweds came 3rd but were later disqualified due to being stretchered over the line."

Reply #189615 | Report this post

And me  
Years ago

Yep boring as all hell. The last Olympics I watched was when Shane Heal had a clash with Charles Barkley.

I don't even bother watching the Bball anymore.

The whole thing is over hyped and over exposed.

Thank God I have Foxtel & my trusty DVD player.

Reply #189630 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Cant wait to bet my life away on sports i have no idea about! Bring on rhythmic gymnastics!

Reply #189657 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:24 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754