nutter
Years ago

Result of the sydney / Bendigo saga?

I just saw an acticle on the NBL website and noticed Sydney still being referred to the the sydney spirit. I was just wondering if the protest from Bendigo had been throw out or whether if is still being processed?

Topic #16569 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Wont be known until the next board meeting on July 31.

Reply #194988 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was away for most of this and missed it - what's the deal?

How the hell did the NBL ever OK this? Poor name in the first place, but a terrible decision especially given the existing WNBL team with the same name?!

Reply #194989 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Isaac, did the NBL actually ok it? Or did some enthusiastic intern (you would have to be an intern to make this kind of mistake) simply put the WS press release on the NBL web site? My understanding is that the NBL Board has to approve name changes...

Reply #195001 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Most people in the NBL HQ are on work experience aren't they??? The decisions they make certainly reflect it that's for sure. Some of them are puzzling to say the least.

Reply #195002 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Heard someone suggest that the Razorbacks said that the NBL came up with the new name? Surely not!

Reply #195042 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Isaac - Thats what this report says.
http://linky.com.au/i8xl4

"The name Sydney Spirit was chosen by the NBL from more than 2000 possible choices"

Reply #195055 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was one of those choices the Bendigo WNBL team?!

Stupidest decision from the NBL in a long time.

Reply #195077 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Not that long a time Isaac, remember that dumb one about a top 8?

Reply #195083 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Looks like sydney 'Spirit' are set to get to keep their name with an announcement from the NBL likely today.
Newspaper report:

"THE interim board of the NBL and Basketball Australia is today expected to rule if the rebadged Sydney franchise can keep the name "Spirit". The Bendigo Spirit WNBL team protested the West Sydney Razorbacks rebranding themselves the "Sydney Spirit" after the Sydney Kings collapsed."

Reply #195981 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:02 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754