Defence wins Games
Years ago

Who will be next out of NBL ?

After the Slingers exit , which team will be the next to leave the NBL ? Breakers ? Blaze ?

Clearly the change is now on and who can and will participate in the future ?

Interesting that Adelaide's operations manager, Paul Bauer, says to abc radio :

"So by all means the NBL can definitely survive with 10 teams and it would probably be even more ideal to go to less."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/29/2317981.htm?section=sport

Topic #16646 | Report this topic

GoodBye?  
Years ago

NZ & Gold Coast will be next. Look to see the league cut down to 8 teams, folded and relaunched into the biggest basketball in the market in the world right now....CHINA!!!!!!!!!

Reply #195807 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

The A-League do very well with 8 teams - the NBL could survive with 8 to 10. better quality ball - better product.

Reply #195809 | Report this post

playa  
Years ago

china don't need no fool NBL ... China alredy got there own thrivin league n dey also got Yao !!!! .. wat de NBL gonna add ??

Reply #195810 | Report this post

playa  
Years ago

de problem is de FTA channels dont giv a rats ass about bball !!! dey do like aussie rules n tennis n swimmin though !!!

Reply #195811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The A-League doon't want to just be an 8 team league though, they just opened 'soft' with 8. They'll be up to 12 in a couple of years or so.

Reply #195812 | Report this post

The issue is not if the NBL can survive with 8 teams . This seems to have been decided .

The question is who will the 8 teams be and who will decided to leave the NBL next ?

Reply #195814 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

A-League is getting a new Queensland team this season or next.

They also announced the other day they will have a women's league.

A-League soccer is growing and basketball needs to be re-launched.

Reply #195816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hate to say it but my understanding is that the 36ers could be next on the list based on the flow on effect from ABC and Eddy Grove's loses.

Reply #195818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard groves is in adelaide soon trying to sell the team.

Reply #195827 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

is playa really mr T ?

i pity the fool

Reply #195828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you heard right and if that aint succesful, bye bye sixers

Reply #195832 | Report this post

playah8tr  
Years ago

I suggest we take it back to the playground so playa can win 'king of the court'

Reply #195833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playa,

FTA like aussie rules, tennis etc because firms will place advertising during these shows. Businesses have read your posts and assume all bball supporters are like you. As a result they see no point in advertising their products during bball as they believe you wouldn't know what they were talking about.

Reply #195836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

china and nbl joint league would be most ideal...china's league makes $'s there but quality of players not as good; so nbl can raise their own standards. gaze took not even a complete tigers' team over and won against their national a?

Reply #195837 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Adelaide would never not have a team in the NBL, it has had the highest or near highest crowd averages in the last 10 years.

The A-League started with ten teams but they want 12 in two years time and eventually a two-tier league.
Having eight teams in the NBL won't work.

Reply #195840 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I would like to see a 10 team League with a view of no expansion for a minimum of 5 years.

I would go with
Adelaide
Perth
Sydney
Melbourne
Brisbane
Cairns
Townsville
Gold Coast
Wollongong
and one other - Either a 2nd Melbourne team or New Zealand

If only 8 teams I would ditch Gold Coast and the other team.

Each team plays each other 4 times. Meaning 36 games in total each (18 home games)

An enforced Salary Cap of a similar amount as now ($700K) along with 1 Marquee player (Aussie or Import) that is excluided from the cap.

Keep it in the Summer.

Final 5. Play it the same as SANFL finals are done except best of 3 instaed.

Possibly best of 5 for Grand Final.

Start getting everything in place NOW for the next season. Have a massive re-launch about a month after the end of the current season.

Hold a Pre-Season tournement to gain interest a couple of weeks before the season starts.

Sorry, if this is a bit all over the place, I have been trying to do it inbetween bosses looking over my shoulder.

Reply #195860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vote on the NBL site from Wednesday 9 PM and closes on Sunday 6:30 PM local time, Live Eviction at 7 PM and don't forget to watch the daily show nightly on your *imaginary* channel, check your local guide for times.

To remind you of the NBL contestants up for this weeks eviction..

Vote 1 - Cairns Taipans
Vote 2 - Wollongong Hawks
Vote 3 - New Zealand Breakers

Good luck to all contestants. The winner recieves a _____ from our sponsor (listens for any words).

*note in ridiculously small font*
Voting may be rigged by Seamus McPeake

Reply #195875 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

16 teams with import restrictions open to asians and southern hemisphere players, make it the asian superleague it should be:

sydney1
sydney2/NZ team
ais/canberra - aussie players under 21
wollongong
adelaide
melbourne1
melbourne2
tasmania
gold coast
brisbane
townsville
cairns
perth
darwin
jakarta
singapore

i pity the fool who doesnt have high ambitions for the 'NBL'

Reply #195893 | Report this post

drB  
Years ago

there is no way that australia would join asian league, this would then mean the National Teams would have to qualify for the olympics via Asia. This is not the preferred option of BA, they prefer Oceania.

Secondly there is no chance the GC will be going anywhere as its a growth area and there crowds. Teams facing the axe would be, hawks or breakers.

The 6ers could if they dont find an owner.

Reply #195900 | Report this post

How strong is ball in NZ?
I would've thought an OZ vs NZ set up moreso than vs China!

Reply #195945 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

'playa' cannot be Mr. T.

There is too much Jibber Jabber from the crazy fool......

Reply #195984 | Report this post

Ha Long Phat  
Years ago

The NBL to join with the chinese or Asian comps?

Baaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahah..cough...weeze..hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahah!

What could we bring to the table apart from players, of which they will pinch from us anyways? Sponsorship? Dollars? Expertise in running the NBL? An emerging economy? A huge population surge?

Big phat NO to all of the above.

The NBL is a dead duck.

Reply #195989 | Report this post

How long do the sixers have to find a buyer?
What are the reasons for the sale- is it Groves' issues also, and if so, why do you guys get more time than us- shouldn't it have only been until 30th June?

Reply #196051 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

More time than who? Sydney or Brisbane? Maybe because he's not actually saying that he'll give up the license if no buyer is found, as was said in the case of Brisbane. At the moment, it is nothing to do with the NBL.

Reply #196057 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:25 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754