Quagmire
Years ago

Top players lost to injuries

How many players have spent most of their careers battling injury?

How many champions will be forgotten because they never had the chance to play to their full potential?

Limited knowledge of NBA before late 80's but here is a a few that spring to mind;

Note- i have not included any drug related players, thats not an injury, thats just stupid.

And i'm not talking about guys that had injury trouble in the twighlight years, i'm talking more about the guys who left us asking- "how good could they have been?"

No particular order;

Tom Gugliotta
Was a gun for Min but that all came to an end when he was traded to the suns and developed a freaky heart condition. His best years were ahead of him, some could easily argue that at the time, he was playing better than his two other T-wolve team mates. Never the same after that.

Grant Hill
I remember watching Hill weave his way through any defence thrown at him. Triple doubles were a plenty.
Then his ankle decided to stop working, again and again and again. I have often wondered what that Orlando team, with T-Mac and Hill, would of been like.
(i also wonder what the magic would be like today if they didn't trade away T-mac, teaming him with Howard instead. ouch)

Jay Williams / Bobby Hurley
Not traditional type injuries, these road accident victims never came back to full strength. The jury is still out on whether or not Bobby's game translated to the pro's (see JJ Reddick) but Williams was going to be a G.U.N.

Antonio McDyess
I still think that those string of horrible knee injuries robbed him of his prime years. His game was bulit around explosive athleticism and injury robbed him of it. The fact that he is still contributing to the pistons success, on one leg, is proof of his ability and drive.

Bryant "Big Country" Reeves
This is a joke to reward people who bothered to read this far. Though injury did rob us of this trailor trash hick boy legend. If you've never heard of him, google image search and enjoy.

Topic #16853 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penny Hardaway

On the verge of stardom, when he seemed to break down and was never the same.

Ilgasgus,- Plaged him early, solid, not a star tho.

Im sure there are plenty in the AFL as well to take it a little off topic

Nathan Brown, while still good, not quite his former self

Trent Henschel- who knows when he'll be back or how good he could have been.

probably a lot more will leave for other people to have a crack

Reply #198259 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Sabonis, still carved up the NBA as an old man with dodgy back and limbs

If he got to play in his mid 80's condition he would have gone down as one of the greats of all time.

Throw yo grandma ma Larry Johnson in there as well, back injuroes always stopped him being 100% but still found ways to contribute.

Reply #198265 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Chris Webber only had one really good year? He was meant to be the greatest PF of all time.

Reply #198268 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Larry Johnson (Charlotte Hornet days)
He was so much fun to watch, big (not tall, wide), fast, athletic, and he enjoyed the game so much. Then his back (I think?) let go, and he couldn't jump anymore, and became a lame jump-shooting 3 man, instead of the explosive, undersized 4 he was meant to be.

Reply #198269 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

oh crap, beaten to it....well done Kent !!

Reply #198270 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Can i throw Latrell Sprewell in their surely a Doc somewhere could show that his brain has been injured since 1995.

Reply #198271 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Dont think that Sprewell is the only athlete that has that problem

Reply #198274 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

What brain?

Reply #198276 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Bernard King - Unfortunately doesnt get the kudos he probably deserves. Was still good, but could have been great had he not injured his knee!

Reply #198277 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

I'm with Kent on Sabonis. He would have dominated the NBA in his prime. Would have changed the game forever, too.

The late Derek Smith. Came into the league the same year as Jordan (IIRR) and apparently was every bit as good... until he tore up his knee.

Reply #198279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darius Miles !!!!!!

End of thread.

Reply #198280 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

The thread was top players, not mediocre.

If you look at Darius Miles' career, it is mediocre at best.

Reply #198284 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Hahaha...Quagmire, I remember Bryant Reeves...wasn't he the Vancouver Grizzlies first round draft pick when they entered the league?

Reply #198285 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Yes he was, and Toronto picked Mighty Mouse that year.

Reply #198287 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

Drazen Petrovic and Reggie Lewis ... just reaching their primes when they got injured in a big way

Reply #198294 | Report this post

Skink  
Years ago

for me lil penny was the standout,he just slowly faded. As well as hurley, interesting comparison to reddick. Anon what about darren milane from collingwood, quality afl player whose career ended early.

Reply #198307 | Report this post

dfsgjh  
Years ago

Ricky Berry, Sacramento Kings
Len Bias, Boston Celtics
Jason Collier, Atlanta Hawks
Terry Furlow, Utah Jazz
Eddie Griffin, Minnesota Timberwolves
Wendell Ladner, New Jersey Nets, ABA
Reggie Lewis, Boston Celtics, NBA
Conrad McRae, Orlando Magic summer league
Dra~en Petrovi, New Jersey Nets
Bobby Phills, Charlotte Hornets
Malik Sealy, Minnesota Timberwolves
Nick Vanos, Phoenix Suns

Reply #198315 | Report this post

DavidK  
Years ago

Earl the goat (still seen as one of the greats) but did not play much NBA due to drugs and the like.

Reply #198327 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Going a fair way back now, but Ralph Sampson was one.

Reply #198348 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Yeah definitely Penny Hardaway - i watched a game from the '95 finals a few weeks ago, and it made me pretty sad... Given the way his career ended up - when he was healthy he was nigh on unstoppable - and a game changer... He was the complete package - athletic, long, and had a great BBIQ...

Brad Daugherty (back)
Richard Dumas (needlestick)

Reply #198353 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Jayson Williams (the gun enthusiast one)... Not his injury but still an injury nonetheless...

Interesting fact about him - i have heard/read that when he was traded to New Jersey by the 76ers there was a clause which limited how long they could play him per game (for a certain period of time)... I can remember back in the early/mid 90's the the guy had ridiculous per 40 min rebounding numbers (but was getting virtually no PT - thats when i found out about the clause...)...

Reply #198357 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Agree with most of the other picks but Grant Hill and Ralph Sampson for sure. If Grant Hill could have remained injury free throughout his career I think he would have gone down as an all time great. Sabonis did reach his potential, just not in the NBA, and he still kicked some arse there.

No one else has mentioned Jonathon Bender so i'll put his name out there. Huge potential, had NBA scouts raving at the time because of his workouts from memory. Never got a good go of it because of injury. Not a champion by any means but a definite 'how good could he have been' type.

Reply #198359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

many local ones???? ill go simon dwight and one of the dudes in the underage team that one the world championship with him cant remember his name but ended up with a dead knee

Reply #198366 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Ron Harper - Was ridiculously athletic before tearing up his knee - only came back as a role player

Reply #198396 | Report this post

Kurtsmells  
Years ago

Im going with my man Eddie Griffin.

Although it wasnt injuries that robbed him of his prime (more so a lack of givin a shit about trainin, playing a=or anything to do with his team) but he had so much potential an then drove his car into a train in a suspected suicide. So sad.

Also i know we said no drugs or stupidity...but Isiah "dont call me JR" Rider could have been so good.

RIP EDDIE

Reply #198399 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Not basketball but very topical, an English footballer was awarded £4m yesterday (AU$8m) as a result of a career ending tackle inflicted many years ago while he was a Manchester United junior. He was cut from the same cloth as Beckham, Giggs and co by all accounts, but never even got off the ground in professional football as a result of his injuries from the tackle.

The payment is due from the club he was playing against when the tackle was made.

Reply #198419 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

yeah saw that billo. Quite interesting - he was described by Sir Alex as being a very very promising player and was said to have missed out on a 3 year pro contract he was due to sign the following year due to the tackle.

As an Arsenal supporter (and one going to the season opener this week at the Emirates v West Brom yeeeoooww) I really hope Eduardo can make it back from his horrifying leg injury last year. He could be something special for sure and lets hope he doesn't make it into this thread.

Reply #198528 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:58 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754