Anonymous
Years ago

Double Standard refs v coaches

I've noticed recently there's been a number of threads and posts relating to the standard of refereeing.

In some instances these were directed at particular referees and anyone who did a bit of research (such as going to the BSA website) could quickly work out who the feedback was about.

My question is why is the same level of feedback posted about coaches?

Coaching threads are quickly locked and any feedback is quickly shot down.

Is this a double-standard? Just a thought.

Topic #17127 | Report this topic

Skin  
Years ago

I would say that coaches in most grades dont get paid? can anyone clarify?

Reply #201889 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

duouble standard speaks with fork tongue - hiding behind anon. tag

coaches doi there best - if you ca do better simple put up your hand
referees same -
so easy to knock

Reply #201894 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I would also say, as a lay observer, it is probably a bit harder to tell if a coach is doing a poor job than it is a referee.

Much of the art of coaching is not a matchday, publicly visable thing, where as a bad call by a ref is usually very in your face.

Game day conduct of coaches v refs is probably easier to compare.

Reply #201897 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Coaching threads are quickly locked and any feedback is quickly shot down.
I believe that threads announcing coaching appointments are locked at the poster's request. Other than that, there are plenty of threads where coaches at all levels are "receiving feedback" on this forum. In fact, so much "feedback" was posted about one high-profile coach we couldn't even use his name any more. So I don't see any double-standard here.

Reply #201901 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A lot of those coaching or trial announcement threads are not requested to be locked, the author locks them when they create them.

Reply #201906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wasn't suggesting that coaches deserve to be abused, made fun of, or criticised on this site.

I think any discussion about junior basketball which is more specific than club level should be banned. We're talking about junior sport and therefore I do not feel that talking about junior teams, coaches, referees or players should be allowed in any form.

I was merely bringing up the point that it does happen when it comes to referees but isn't allowed by forum rules when it comes to players and doesn't happen when it comes to coaches.

If that's because we hold referees to a higher standard than we hold coaches then I think we have our focus misplaced.

Reply #201910 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could be because refs rarely file complaints using the specific system I set up?

Reply #201945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think people mainly get upset with refs because there not consistent. if you are going to call soft fouls call it all game and both ends. and i dont think its just in basketball i think its in every sport and every comp. i think its harder to have a go at a coach unless you go to every training and his/her side inside out. if there doing think they can to improve there team but they just aint performing on gameday theres not much you can do about it. i also think its about time that at a professional level if a umpire makes a stupid decision they should be made acountable for it. at the end of the day there getting paid to do it so they should be doing it right.

Reply #201974 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:03 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754