Defence wins Games
Years ago

Slingers playing in tournament in Malaysia

Darren Ng shot 28 in 22 minutes as the Slingers won 96 to 67 against the Hong Kong national team in Malaysia.

Slingers play South Korea's Kyung-hee University tomorrow.

Later in the week the National teams of Malaysia ( including Jamal Brown and Brad Bridgewater), India and then Pure Youth and Construction which is a club team from Taiwan

Box score on http://www.malaysia-basketball.com/

Topic #17201 | Report this topic

Jennyxc  
Years ago

So does it mean the Asian League has started?

I've checked their website, no info yet. May I noe how did you know all these?

Reply #202710 | Report this post

The Asian league will not start this year but likely next year - and I agree the Slingers need to release their new website soon because it is difficult to find out what they are doing unless you search the web.

Last week the Slingers won the final in the Brunei Cup agains the Korean pro-team LG Sakers(www.bruneicup.com)and this week they are in Malaysia. All and all it is part of the Slingers promoting basketball in the region to attract teams to participate in the Asian league.

After that they will start the Singapore Challenge series on September 17 ( and I believe the following match is on September 21) with matches said to be against an Asian pro-team at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

The word on the street here in Singapore is that the Slingers are having some early success with finding supporters for both the Challenge Series and the Asian league so hopefully they will soon release some more information.

Reply #202717 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Word also that a number of Australian teams will also be in the Singapore Series.

It looks like the longer that BA takes to reshape the NBL, the more chance we may see two unique leagues in Australia. The teams that play under BA and play locally and the teams that travel abroad and play regionally.

Reply #202783 | Report this post

Slingers win 100 to 81 against South Korea's Kyung-hee University. Darren 19 points and Eric Sandrin 30 points plus 18 rebounds.Blagoj Janev continuing to perform well too.

Reply #202846 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks for the reports DWG and FM - much appreciated. Good to know Darren's doing well.

Reply #202848 | Report this post

Well....the Slingers lost 93 to 92 in OT to the Malaysian National team reinforced with US Jamal Brown ( 32p,8rb) and Brad Bridgewater (12p,6rb).

Darren Ng 16p - but 5 fouls including a technical !, Blagoj Janev had 19p, Eric Sandrin 17p/14rb and Shane McDonald also 17p. Turnovers seem to have been expensive for the Slingers . Next match tomorrow.

Reply #202981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To Slingers ... best of luck from Brunei :-) Go Slingers!

Reply #202986 | Report this post

The Slingers won 100 to 71 in a relative easy match against the Indian National team tonight .

Chris Daniel had a good match with 22p/7rb/2ast/2steals while Darren Ng had 21 points in just 22 minutes and Eric Sandrin contributed 20p/7rb.

The Slingers( Sam Harris had 10 )out rebounded 55/35 the Indians but the Slingers only scored on 33% of their 3PT as Armein Kirkland (16p/8rb/4ast) was held to 0 from 6.

The tournament finish tomorrow . To be the overall winner the Slingers need to beat the Taiwanese pro team while Korea needs to beat the Malaysian national team who otherwise will be the overall winner

Reply #203021 | Report this post

hoops13  
Years ago

This coach seems to not know what he's doing... He's not playing the guys that know how to win that have more experience and seems to be relying on his "favs" Not to take anything away from Darren or Chris or Shane, but come on... lets play like a team guys and involve everyone, like a true PG would....with Castro gone how do they expect to win many games without involving one of their top players? Eric Sandrin.... he's getting shit shots off of rebounds and fast breaks, he's hardly involved in the offense.... this is going to be a long season unless they allow him to play his game, he's not a 5 player... they should know this by looking at his resume... 3 maybe 4. And I can't believe they lost in OT to a non-professional team... this is going to be a long season folks!!!

Reply #203062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hoops13 . so did you see the game ? Castro is not gone and will be back when his ankle is ok again.

Reply #203078 | Report this post

hoops13  
Years ago

Yes I did see all of the games... I expected more from this team to be honest with you.... I'm not sure if Castro will be back or not it would be nice if he would stick around, but I'm not sure I would if I were in his situation. I mean they've already lost Ben Knight, now possibly Castro, who's next...something is not going right for this organization.... I'm looking forward to watching more of their games especially the home ones!!

Reply #203111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as per the PBA website, castro has decided to leave the slingers and go back

http://www.pba.ph/content/view/2263/1/

Reply #203243 | Report this post

hoops13 ...great you went to see the games in KL ! I agree that losing Ben was not good but maybe understandable. I still doubt that Castro will leave until I see something official from the Slingers .The media in ph is full of these stories but from experience they are often manufacturer news to try to make something happen......No doubt the Slingers are under pressure to perform and to keep going forward but my impression is that as an organisation together with their backers they are infact moving into a better and more secure position . Like you I am looking forward to watching some of the home games and I also expect the team to perform ! So far my impression is that here are a few players who still have to demonstrate that they can deliver what is needed to make the Slingers a competitive team ....maybe the Slingers are already looking to add someone instead of Ben Knight who can play the low post and add some rebounding ???

Reply #203246 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:13 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754