Isaac
Years ago

Funny Oct 2: 36ers @ Breakers game thread

Should be an interesting game this afternoon.

Breakers are 2-0 and at home but are yet to really suffer a mediocre shooting night and are beatable. The 36ers lost to the Spirit last week, but should have Tyndale for a full game this time and have a front court that could trouble the Breakers in the paint.

Technically, this is a top of the table clash(!) and both of my teams are involved so hopefully it's at least a close contest.

For those interested, Centrebet have the 36ers at $4.30 for the win. I'm also going for the Dragons to beat Gold Coast by 5+ ($1.90).

Tips?

(Mod: Topic date adjusted to bring it higher up the list where people can find it more easily.)

Topic #17551 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballinger out

Reply #206211 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

source for ballinger out ?

if so big loss

Reply #206214 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Heard the same. Ouch (for the team, and my bet on the 36ers!)

Reply #206225 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Re: tonights games.
I refuse to believe that more people are interested in the following than NBL.

Fox Sports 1 - Motorsport: GP Racing & Australasian Super X
FS2 - Golf USLPA & Ladies European Tour
FS3 - Baseball MLB Divisional Playoffs

Sigh*

Reply #206226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did you hear Isaac? Why is he out?

Reply #206227 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

They are great line odds for Dragons I think. However, Gold Coast will be desperate for a win so they could possibly win this game. Might still put a bit of money down on that.

Reply #206231 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Back injury again for Ballinger.

I think Adelaide may be missing someone else too. Game starting shortly, so we'll find out then.

Reply #206232 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Aaron Bruce out also!

Breakers with a 10-0 start.

Live scores

05:10 15-6 9 10, LUKE SCHENSCHER, substitution out
05:10 15-6 9 10, LUKE SCHENSCHER, foul technical
05:12 3, OSCAR FORMAN, rebound defensive 15-6 9
05:13 15-6 9 10, LUKE SCHENSCHER, shot 2pt missed
05:13 15-6 9 10, LUKE SCHENSCHER, rebound offensive
05:16 15-6 9 10, LUKE SCHENSCHER, shot 2pt missed
Poor Luke!

Reply #206234 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Good grief...

In that case, my tip: Breakers by 20.

Reply #206235 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Sixers seemed to have stopped the bleeding and have got it back to 8.

Reply #206237 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sixers open the second quarter with four locals: Maher, Holmes, Schenscher, Hill plus Davidson.

Reply #206238 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Time for Tyndale to step it up and dominate.

No one on their team should be able to stop him.

Reply #206239 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

There goes this weeks fantasy team :-|
Damn so much for exploiting the Breakers lack of defence :-|
Sixers down 20 before half time this is gonna hurt.

Reply #206241 | Report this post

JoeyKnuckles  
Years ago

wow, not looking good at this stage.
cheers for the link :)

Reply #206242 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

So much for the much talked about Sixers defence - giving up 55 in a half.

And our so called offence? 34 in the first half?

Reply #206243 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Gotta love the FIBA live scoring system, even know the Sixers arnt giving it much of a work out. Give me more of that over the stupid NBL one they persisted with for so long.
Have they officially switched over?

Reply #206246 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DJ - seem to have. Last couple of games have used it. Much better.

The 36ers should make something of a comeback in the third - Maher, Tyndale, etc are too good not to give it their best.

Reply #206248 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

What the hell is up with us? 3 games in and we are already missing THREE players to injury! What is wrong with Bruce?

Reply #206249 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

You are not wrong Mutley! Every damned year and we have injuries, as soon as and even before the season starts! Sick to death of it happening. Perhaps they should have a look at their training methods down there.

Reply #206251 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ballinger at least had battled the back injury during the off-season, but this might be a new one for Bruce?

Reply #206252 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Yeah, and with Davidson underdone it is great timing to be missing our starting point guard. Still, no game until next weekend after this one, so hopefully we can get the three of them back.

Please note I have already thrown in the towel on this one.

Reply #206256 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Me too Mutley. Good to see they've pulled it back a bit though.

6 turnovers so far for Tyndale... I have a feeling this is going to be a recurring theme.

Reply #206257 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

At least we have outscored them this quarter!

Reply #206258 | Report this post

JoeyKnuckles  
Years ago

Tyndale 6 turn overs ouch
1 block shot, not good enough

Reply #206259 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Wait until the end of the quarter Squid.

Reply #206260 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Not any more!

Reply #206261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

25 points...

Reply #206262 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Looks like a really neat piece of work from Brad Hill.

Reply #206263 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

hi folks..late arrival here...score and time please?

Reply #206264 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bizzy was saying 3,200 at the game? If so, that's pretty healthy for NZ.

Reply #206266 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Three quarter time and it stinks! 88 to 59 down

Reply #206267 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Me, the score is 88-59 down at 3/4 time. Bruce, Ballinger, and Winitana all out injured, and the remaining 8 seem to be playing like retards.

Reply #206268 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Down 29, quarter to play. Ballinger and Bruce out.

Reply #206269 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Isaac, you still would not hear them down there, never known such a quiet crowd. And they sure don't let you say anything of a negative nature down there, it is taboo!

Reply #206270 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

greetings from Lithuania were we are monitoring the game on live scores, no radio link working via hotel internet. Sixers under-manned in trouble- divided loyalties with connections to both teams I look forward to a rematch with both teams at full strength.

Reply #206273 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Isn't Cooper useful of the offensive end?

Reply #206274 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about that guy with the blue hair and the drums? He's pretty loud...

Reply #206275 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Regardless of how many players are out, this is embarrassing!

Reply #206276 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

20-0 run too, if anyone is counting.

Reply #206277 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

GEEBUS...kinda wish id stayed away.

Surely they arent that good?

Surely we arent that bad?

Reply #206278 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

embarrasing, yes!

someone needed to stand up.

luke is doing nothig for his size!,he hasnt imressed me at all yet.

Reply #206279 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

thankyou holes for makig this look A LITTLE better

Reply #206280 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Impressive statline from Oscar . Isaac what have his other games been like this year ?

Reply #206281 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

20 - 0 run...are you sure we are actually on court?

Reply #206282 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Schensch has 13 and 10 up against, part of the time at least, a fringe-NBA big in Rickert. I wasn't expecting him to average more than about 14 and 8 in the NBL, so I think he's doing well this season.

Reply #206283 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Have we even got anybody on Kirk Penney? Do I have to fly over there and get a hand in his face?

Reply #206285 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Good to see we are holding Penney well too!

Reply #206286 | Report this post

JoeyKnuckles  
Years ago

wats up with Tyndale fg% 4/14

Reply #206287 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

rotateonthis: 14 and 8 against the Hawks, 23 and 6 against the Tigers.

Oscar Forman - game by game stats

Reply #206288 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

can tyndale even see still..

hint: hs injurred eye, has it fully recovered?

Reply #206289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pitiful

Reply #206290 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bruce felt some hamstring soreness in the morning shootaround and was examined by physios. Given a late fitness test, the hamstring became more sore, leaving the Sixers no option but to leave him out of the line-up.

Boti's half-time report

Good contemporary reporting from Boti, putting up material during the game. Would like to see him live-blogging (maybe even Twitter?) games where possible.

Reply #206291 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

What THE FUCK?

Seriously, injuries have been horrendous to us last season and so far, this one.

Almost a 40 point drubbing. Fucking great.

RIP Sixers teams that can win on the road.

Reply #206292 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Well 38 point loss, not too bad then!

Reply #206293 | Report this post

asif  
Years ago

if Hodge doesn't make the Nets, then i'd cut Tyndale to make room for him.

Reply #206295 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

settle down guys ... This IS a new team and it will take a few weeks to gel , especially with undefined roles and players coming in and out with injuries . As long as we gather momentum at the right end of the season we will be fine . Always gonna be a few hiccups early on in the piece .
Today we had no Bruce or Ballinger and a pirate filling the other import spot , plus Davidson is underdone and Other guys still finding their rhythm . She be right mate .

Reply #206298 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

These massive streaks where we go scoreless while the opposition piles on 20 odds points are becoming a concern, has happened in 3 of the 4 games this season.

Reply #206300 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

I still think Tyndale isn't that great. The first game against Hawks he looked average as (Got some decent stats though), then against crocs in that first half was looking very much the same way. With players out I would have expected him to step up today. While I think he adds value to the team with doing whatever is required to help the team I don't think he is a star go to guy import like has been perceived so far, including the outrageous Loggins comparison.

Without Ballinger and Bruce I would find it hard to beat them there so im not blaming him I just think he could have stepped up a bit more.

Also I think Schencher is doing a great job and is getting better every game considering how many minutes he is getting. 14ppg @ 53%, 6rpg, 2bpg in only 24 minutes of court time! Today 15 points and 14 rebounds in 36 minutes.

Reply #206302 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

rotateonthis - "This IS a new team and it will take a few weeks to gel"

I think 4-6 weeks is roughly the going rate.

Reply #206309 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

C I T H - I think it was 6 weeks followed by a season more of excuses from the one and only baldemort .

Reply #206311 | Report this post

ronnymac  
Years ago

I perdicted in the wildcats v breakers preseason thread thatKirk penny will be the MVP this season. he is a bonafide stud.

Reply #206314 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Holmes good again, very consistent start so far for him.
Maher better.
Luke playing well in limited time.
Super sub out at the moment.
Davidson back, not bad, will get better.
Tyndale okay, needing some better control of the ball, and to find his stroke.
Missing 2 starters.

Something to build on people..

Reply #206320 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

JoeyKnuckles: "1 block shot, not good enough" (tyndale)

How is 1 block not good enough from an undersized SF?

Reply #206325 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

Think he was referring to the 6 turnovers.

Reply #206326 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Let's learn from the mistakes made with Chappell last year and not wait for 3/4 of the season to be over before doing something about our import. 2 more games to prove himself at the most. After that its out the door. Sorry, it sounds brutal but last year we blamed it on the coach. Davidson is a concern injury wise as well. Its been far too long since I remember a good game from him. I know I have received several complaints about my "coach bashing" which was uncalled for because until now, I have not indicated that Ninnis would not do a good job. As it stands now, I am not too confident. He failed to find the right mix in the pre season games and although 2 regular season games were won at home, they were unconvincing. The last 2 away games have a remarkable resemblance to the previous 2 years gone by. At this point, nothing has changed.

Reply #206328 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

EC we were down Ballinger, Bruce IMO even more important, and Winitana!!! Thats 2 new recruits, and our team MVP. Lets just all take a chill pill, tonight was no indication of what the 36ers will be all about this season. Good to see Luke getting 'recruit' type minutes, even if it was via injuries to others. Tyndale had a lot of turnovers and missed some shots, but with a better florr direction by Bruce, i sure the game wouldve opened up more allowing him to penetrate from better angles and not over dribble.

Reply #206332 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

People are saying the sixers were missing Ballinger, hey guys, the Breakers only have one import!! And most people on this site were so happy when the 36ers signed all this home grown talent, well what can I say! tonights loss nothing short of an absolute and utter disgrace.

Reply #206333 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Eccentric Clown ... pipe down now . Tyndale had more positive stats in his first 2 games than Chappell did in half a season . He also had is eye poked from the socket last game ( slight exag :) and probably still struggled today with it .

As for the rest of it , pure rambling at your finest . Go make a chamomile T and read your self some bedtime stories .

Reply #206334 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

EC, your heart's in the right place but unfortunately you're way off the mark again in your assessment. Tyndale and Chappell are chalk and cheese. Sure his last couple of games haven't been outstanding (although to be fair he did cop a poke to the eye in Canberra which clearly affected his game), but he's top 3 in the league in rebounds per game(Holmes is top), top 5 for assists (Bruce is top) and only a few games ago produced a 30, 15, 5 game. Certainly producing a lot more than Chappell was.

And can you tell me what was unconvincing about our 27 point win over the Crocs at home?

Reply #206335 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I've given him 2 more games. That should be long enough for his eye to heal.

Reply #206336 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

billo, the 27 points win at home came after a sleepy first half and playing with more intensity in the 2nd. A better team than Townsville would not have let them get away with it. I merely said in my first post that we shouldn't make the same mistake as with Chappell and let most of the season go before doing something about it. Off course assuming it warrants it. What we are seeing now is the real picture, how we play on the road and how we play against better opponents.

Reply #206339 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

EC, assuming Hodge is still unavailable, who would you dump him for?

IMO there is no one out there better suited to this team than Tyndale atm.

Reply #206340 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

2 games is very hasty EC, he's also top 10 in the league in scoring. What do you expect from the guy? He's putting up better numbers than Dusty ever did.

Reply #206341 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Sure this game was a blow out but given the fact we didnt have our starting PG or PF i expected the 36ers to lose and would of been shocked if they beat NZ without ballinger and bruce, especially considering they just beat the Tigers.
Tyndale is a very decent import from what ive seen, 10, 5, 5 is ok numbers considering the added attention he probably got and considering he was prob not 100% with his eye, and also if he is of the Mee mould his scoring will be inconsistant as Mee's was, as long as he plays hard and good defence contributes 10-15pts, 5ish assists and 5ish rebounds id be happy with that and say he is doing his job. Atleast hang on to him until after the NBA season starts, and if Hodge doesnt make it on a NBA roster then maybe consider the import change if we can land Hodge. not saying Tyndale is bad but if i had the choice id take hodge, if its not Hodge i would keep Tyndale. Also given the fact he is 22 expect some inconsistancy, look at most sports young players are usually inconsistant to some degree.
But yea its a tough road trip at the best of times let alone 2 starters down, so dont give up on the 36ers yet, they should still do ok!

Reply #206342 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

With all these wonderful reasons as to why a win was not expected tonight, what excuses do we have for the last game against Sydney. Its not a premature assumption that I am making from tonight's game, its a pattern that is developing, and the pattern started from the very first game of the season. Actually no, the pattern started 2 years ago and still it continues. A whole lot of new players, a new coach and assistant, the same old results.

Reply #206345 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

what excuses do we have for the last game against Sydney

Key starter missing a good portion of the game after getting an eye poke. Missing a high energy injection off the bench from a glue man. Sydney are better than people give them credit for and have a point to prove. Still in the 4-6 week gelling period :)

I see your point though, we should have won that one, and we're yet to claim a win over a contender this season to date. It's not all doom and gloom though and any import sacking knee jerk reaction would cause more harm than good to team dynamics. I'm confident we've got the right coach and the right players to make some noise this year and I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.

Reply #206349 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

billo, I hope you are right as I want to see this year's team succeed. I don't accept one or two key player's missing to make a big difference as everyone has been talking up about the depth of this year's team. With all that depth, they should be able to cover a couple of key players. If they can't, then the depth is clearly lacking.

Reply #206358 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fair points from everyone I think. Even 2-3 players down (Breakers were missing Henare), it shouldn't be a 38 point road loss. Not winning either road game is a concern. And this was a great opportunity for more of the team to step up.

But there were injuries in both cases (wonder how Melbourne would go without Anstey and Ere, or NZ without Penney and Bruton?), and it's a bit too early to make a call on Tyndale.

Yes, don't hold him as long as Chappell if he's performing like Mike did, but two more games is a little premature.

Assuming at least Bruce is back before or after the Melbourne game, I'd hope for 3-1 over the next four games. Melbourne will be tough. After that, the team really needs to take down the Hawks in Wollongong and defend the Dome against Perth and Sydney if they want to be seen as a quality side. That game in Wollongong will be the next road test against very beatable opposition.

Reply #206365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the assclown that said the Breakers only have one import....well how do you rate CJ Bruton ? He effectively took the imports spot. Not a bad player huh ?

Reply #206368 | Report this post

no hopers  
Years ago

Nothing has changed at 6ers except a coach who has no hope of changing a losing culture. I feel sorry for Ninnis. These guys are going to let him down big time. They are all past their best or over rated. Be lucky to be 2 and 4 after 6. Thats being positive.

Same old same old ..............

Reply #206371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

assclown?? 1998 called and Chris Jericho wants his pay out back.

Reply #206373 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Breakers haven't really made any major changes from last year. Bruton effectively takes up an import spot - an upgrade on Turner/Greene, but not necessarily a tier above a great import, for example. And Boucher replaces Vukona. If they were brutal, I think they could've reshuffled the roster (not taken in Boucher, cut Behrendorff, etc) to fit in a second import.

On the 36ers, I don't think it's a losing culture. Maher and Davidson are quality players. Bruce and Tyndale are new to the team. Holmes has admittedly come from the Dragons who were awful last year, but I don't think that history would impact him.

They were on the road, without 2-3 absolutely key players, and the Breakers are generally expected to be a top 4-5 side. 38 points is ugly, but they were hardly favourites going in even before the injuries were known.

If you do look for common elements over the last few years to assess the continuity of a supposed "losing culture", what do you come up with? Maher? Cooper?

Reply #206374 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

I think it is harsh to compare Tyndale to Chappell, the man had 30, 15 & 5 in the last home game. He just needs to improve his consistency, which I think will come with a few more games under his belt.
Lets not forget Willie Farley used to have some off nights.... and most of you loved him to death. At least Tyndale is more physical and chases some boards down.

Reply #206379 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I really like Coach Scott's honesty in this,

"I couldn't be more disappointed," 36ers coach Scott Ninnis said after the club's sixth-worst loss of all-time. "Guys had a chance to step up and didn't take it which is particularly disappointing. You have to be ready when opportunity presents itself."

There were no wishy washy excuses. Hill {5 turnovers} , Cooper, Kersten all an opportunity to push to impress from the end of the bench and each didn't do much, but apart from Luke and Jacob sounds like not too many others did too much either.

At least Ninnis is calling it how it is.

Reply #206380 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

They gave up 27 points from 21 turnovers.
Could have been a lot worse.
That's gotta break a coaches heart.

Reply #206391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst they shouldnt have lost by 38, losing Bruce and Ballinger is effectively losing 30-40 points worth of productivity.

Lets not over react.

NZ would be a lot different without CJ and Ronaldson too...

Reply #206393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC - you said you can't remember the last good game from Davidson????

Mmm, let me see. 3 games this season recovering from back injury, no pre-season games due to back injury. So let's take it back to end of last season.

way you quoted it makes it sound like he's not putting in the effort. Davidson doesn't play average games when he's not injured!!!!! They

Reply #206398 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #206403 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Well at least you can't blame the ex coach for these games.
However if he were still the coach this whole thread would be blaming him hands down.
*sigh*

Reply #206425 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

We would be blaming him due to the mediocre recruitment he did over the off season not for the sake of blaming someone for just anything! Most of his criticism over the final seasons were well warranted! So perhaps you need to move on.

Reply #206429 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I can't remember the last good game from Davidson, not because he isn't or wasn't putting in the effort but because its been so long since he has been injury free. I don't know how the 36ers are managing this but there comes a time when you have to ask the hard questions on whether a player is past his prime. Last year's team was full of injuries. This year the season is still extremely fresh and yet we have 4 players already out. This is the resemblance I refer to from this team to last year's team. I also made no comparison between Chappell and Tyndale as individual players. I only said that we should learn from last year and not waste so much time if a change needs to be made.

Pardon my ignorance but what is Davidson's injury all about? He played no pre season games. Not sure how much training he put it. Is his injury something that has carried over from last season and has not yet healed? Also I hope Ballinger does not spend too much time on the sidelines due to his persistent back injury. He is a brilliant player when he is well, but even a brilliant player does not do enough if he needs to spend more time off the court than on.

Reply #206455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC - BACK INJURY!!!!!!!!!! It's been written about enough and wasn't carried over from last year at all. His back flared up just prior to the first pre-season game.

Davidson always puts in the hard yards at training and has been injury-free for the past 12 seasons pretty much until last year.

Just because he's on the "older" side of the team doesn't mean he's past his use by date. The team needs some maturity.

Reply #206510 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

and grunt

Reply #206531 | Report this post

Archer  
Years ago

I was one of only about 8 sixers fans at the game. Don't know if anyone had seen the vision from the game, but the umpiring was very biased. Article from John Dybvig in the Sunday Star-Times "The kindest thing I can say about the referees was they were buffoons who favoured the home team to such an extent that if I was a betting man I'd be on the Breakers every week at home. The home team got every call and then some when the visitors got hammered."

He went on to talk about the holding by Penney and Jones.

Lots of travels not called, lots of slaps on us not called. Brad Hill man handled by 3 breakers and pushed out of court, Mark Tydale pushed into signage.

Don't be too hard on the sixers, there were 5 of them and 8 Breakers on the court.

PS Court facilities very poor, whoever complains about the dome needs to have a look at this stadium. The sixers slipped over half a dozen times. Even the Dome's food is better!

Reply #206652 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:18 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754