rocketrod
Years ago

Learning to play

As a longtime observer of this forum, I thought I would add a perspective that is often ignored in player development.

To simplify the picture, if a game is 40 minutes long, and there are ten players on the court, what is the average amount of time a player will have the ball in his/her hands?

Now that you have done that calculation, what are players meant to be doing the rest of the time? I think players (and parents)in this team game of ours need to be made more aware of all the learning that is required to play well in a team.

Perhaps our volunteer coaches should be given a lot more credit for their teaching than what they commonly receive.

and one last point... a lot of learning does take place adjacent to the game in the sense of training sessions, pre-game, on the bench, and post-game.

Topic #17653 | Report this topic

ExWhy  
Years ago

I'm lost!! Are you having a swipe and anyone or just making a general statement?

Not having a shot at you by the way, just not sure what answers your looking for.

Reply #207397 | Report this post

rocketrod  
Years ago

OK,
I think a lot of forum contributors are parents or players who think they or their children only learn about the game when they have the ball in their hands.

As much as i want the ball, and I want my kids to have the ball, I understand that a lot of learning goes on (not only about basketball) when the ball is not in my hands or my kids' hands.

I guess I just want some of the critics on this forum to acknowledge that little jenny or johnny sitting on the bench or not playing enough minutes, or having to got to trainings, are still learning a lot about the game and themselves ... and hopefully the parents are learning to engage postively when things don't always go their way.

Reply #207411 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Plenty of swing and passes

Reply #207454 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:06 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754