Nino
Years ago

Sixers lineup for Spirit game??

So with Winitana's religious background, and the next game being a Sunday fixture, does this mean we will down a key player AGAIN!?

Mormon's dont 'work' on Sunday's right?

Topic #17801 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Yeah Winitana won't be playing.

We're lucky it's only 2-3 games due to it.

Still bad timing for it.

Reply #208869 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Give Burdon 15 or so minutes and see how he goes.

Reply #208890 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Isaac, as you said in another thread that would have been worth a shot last night. I would have put him in at the end of the first quarter, we were already 0-6 from downtown, and run a play for him.

Let's hope Maher and Ballinger (who should be if he had gastro) are right for next Sunday.

Also, I get Winitana's not wanting to play on Sunday's for religious reasons (actually, I don't, but I guess you have to cop these things), but does he have some other rule about not being able to make a jump shot on Saturdays?

Reply #208891 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

haha nice one Mutley! Winitana is a confidence kind of player and he hasn't found that confidence yet, it doesn't help having an ankle injury also.

Reply #208899 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

I dont understand why a pro athlete would be so strict with this kind of thing. What would happen if one of the playoff games were on a sunday, or grand final, etc.

Reply #208960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skin - you're obviously not religious then! Some people regard this above their work (and yep you got it, playing professional basketball is work for them).

Just cause he's a professional athlete doesn't mean he will put his religion second best or shouldn't be as strict. It's a very narrow-minded opinion you have.

If it was play-offs or grand final, he wouldn't play either. That would be up to the club to negotiate a change in date.

Reply #208976 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Anon, it is a narrow minded view that YOU have that a club should/would have to change a date to accommodate one player's beliefs.

Reply #208990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mutley - what I meant was if the club REALLY wanted him to play that particular game, they could only ask for a change of date.

I wouldn't expect the club to ask and I certainly wouldn't expect the NBL to oblige.

Sorry if I didn't get my point across correctly

Reply #209021 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Working on Sunday. Well that's a long debate.

Brett Maher is out injured.

Reply #209030 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Don't forget a few years ago when the Melbourne Demons made it to the GF, they had a Jewish President.

Again due to religion, he didn't watch the game on the Saturday and nobody changed it for him.

Reply #209044 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

My religion is sport! I am available for anything and everything to do with sport.

Reply #209070 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I think it would be a very reasonable request for a club to ask for a change of date due to a player's religious beliefs and the importance of that particular game. It would be very unreasonable of the NBL to knock back that request. It would be a sign of ignorance in today's society of the role that religion plays in a person's life.

Reply #209080 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It would not at all be reasonable to even request a schedule change because of a player's stance/belief and the NBL should laugh away any such request! Winitana can choose not to play Sundays and the 36ers can elect to sign him despite that disadvantage, believing that he is a good signing regardless. But it ends there - there should be no burden on the league or other teams because of the personal choice of an individual and the impact absorbed by his employer.

What's next? A belief that fourth quarters are for rest and a team asking the NBL if they can just play 75% of the game because it suits them?

Reply #209138 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That's it. If he's a Mormon Bishop ,then he's not available on Sunday,obviously.

Wonder about Cooper, broken nose, may not play..

Reply #209145 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Camel 31:
"Wonder about Cooper, broken nose, may not play.."

Obviously Scoop will not be part of the pick & roll plays, with a broken nose.

Reply #209205 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I did laugh DD.
I miss Jordy.

Reply #209264 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:29 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754