LC
Years ago

Bynum signs 4-year deal with Lakers

Andrew Bynum has signed a new 4-year deal worth AU$86.88 million in a deal announced today that will have many Laker fans with smiles on their faces!

Link: http://linky.com.au/xp3ds

"Terms according to the report would pay the 2.15m Bynum, who turned 21 last Monday, nearly $US42 million ($62.92 million) in the first three years with the Lakers having an option for a fourth season at $US16 million."

Is it a good deal and is he worth that much considering his return from serious injury?

Topic #17875 | Report this topic

Chewy  
Years ago

It's a very good deal for the Lakers. Bynum is flat out going to dominate this season, and I have no doubt that he is going to prove himself as one of the best centers in the game.

Bynum is an old school center, tall, big body that knows how to throw it down. I believe that he can be as good, if not better than Shaq.

As Kobe declines, Bynum becomes number 1.

Reply #209707 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

"Better than Shaq" - now that's a big call.

Reply #209715 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Better then Shaq you are dreaming! Shaq is one of the best centers ever! Even if people like to under rate him. He is Better then David Robinson and Hakeem, even that you all will probably disagree.

Reply #209725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Robinson I'll grant you, but Hakeem > Shaq

Reply #209737 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

Its a good signing for the lakers but maybe not for the money that they are paying him. I think they were very generous to him and Bynum should consider himself a very lucky player. He's got potenital, but unless you make use of that potential, it useless.

Reply #209747 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

its either going to be a bust deal or a deal worth every penny. if he doesn't put up shaq numbers in next year or 2 and get lakers a ring in 3 years, then it would be a bust in most peoples eyes

Reply #209749 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Average player. Go Bulls.

Reply #209753 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

here's the deal in the eyes of LA...

Ricey- all Bynum has to do is double-double and 3 blocks so no need Shaq's number because you have Mr Bryant next to him along with Pau and a whole bunch of other offensive machines...

We see Bynum as a "more skilled" player than Shaq when you consider overall skills but as far as more dominant than Shaq? That's a big call, most of us don't have that kind of expectation. Shaq was just that much of a force to say that.

Because of the fact he works with Kareem we see lots of potential for him to have that very similar style of play to him...

At Lakerland right now, all smiles with this deal :-)

And on another topic, Trevor Ariza=icing on the cake!!! loving that guy right now

Reply #209804 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

how can you say its a all smiles? if he doesnt put up atleast 20 and 10 towards end of the deal I would be pissed if I am in laker management... he has potential to be a force like shaq, is basically kind of like him already, just needs to get beefed up alot more to be the physical presence really... pau gasol probably won't be at lakers for more than 2 years on top of all that too

Reply #209846 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I know Mailman was old but hey before he came to LA he was still a 20-10 but with so many guys around he averaged like 14-10 instead that year...You've got to realize the situation Bynum's in right now especially he's job is defense and rebound; Phil isn't really even asking him to attack all that much (don't get me wrong he definitely is required to be a part of the offense but not a 20-10) the plays aren't really ran through him a hell lot, if you watch the games it seems they're running through Pau a hell lot more with Bynum still creating things himself.

He's already bulked up a lot man 280+pounds. You don't need to be 300pounds when much of that are fats. Shaq weighed around Bynum's weight during his Orlando times and that was when he was lot quicker and agile. Why else you think coaches keep asking him lose weight.

I don't know why you think Pau is going to leave LA when he's happy here. He's not an egoful type of guy he wants to win championships...If the team is successful even our arguably most egoed guy LO has indicated he may even go with a "pay cut" to stay and you're telling me Pau is going to leave? Plus he has said he wants to finish his NBA career with Lakers. There's a definite challenge keeping this team together but it can be done and hopefully will be done.

Reply #209855 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I think if you have Bynum as your franchise guy- you will be looking at early play-off exits. He is not highly skilled enough to be the catalyst for an offence. He can definately finish, but he will not be a facilitator.

On a championship team he would need to be the second guy- much like the situation now, although Kobe may begin to decline before Bynum hits his peak...

Reply #209960 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

This is the thing that's so good about Lakers right now, Kobe will decline in another 4 years or so and Bynum only 25 with 7 years NBA experience. Nobody's saying he's a franchise player now but the way things are looking, very likely so.

He is still in need to polish things up but he's got more skills than Shaq, if you've watched the 1st two games this season he's even showing a fairly decent mid-range jumper also, something Shaq never had...I wouldn't say his not highly skilled especially he got one of the greatest center in history working with him

Reply #210078 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:43 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754