TR
Years ago

Official: AI for Billups

Rumours getting around that the Nugs have been in contact with the Pistons about a Billups (and parts) for AI trade.

Not to sure why Detroit would do this. Does AI make them a better team, I'm not sure. Rip does a pretty good job and would AI destroy the Pistons chemistry???

Interesting to see where this goes.

(Mod: Updated title now the trade is official.)

Topic #17914 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

pistons wouldn't do it, there's not a single positive to it

Reply #210062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

except for being able to start stuckey as the point guard. he would be a perfect compliment for AI in the backcourt because of his ability to be able to defend bigger guards. That would seem to leave Rip Hamilton out though.

Reply #210067 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Maybe to do with cap space? Both Iverson and Wallace's contracts expire at the end of the season, and that would quite a bit of coin (35mill to be exact) to spend over the summer.

Reply #210072 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Silly trade. Although you'd approve Stuckey to start @ the PG. Smart move given you've pointed out a possible cap space clearer for the Pistons

Reply #210086 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

What is up with the Nuggets are they trying to rid themselves of their whole roster or something? and start from the bottom up again if so MELO MUST GO HE IS OVERRATED AND HAS HIS HEAD UP HIS ASS

Reply #210090 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Actually I kind of like this trade, at least its original. Denver isn't going to win anything with the way their roster is at the moment, maybe if they give the Pistons a future pick it could work. Pistons get cap space at the end of the season and AI signs for Boston on the MLE.

Reply #210091 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

im keen to see melo get traded to NY for curry or something like that

Reply #210103 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

It's official Billups, McDyess and Cheikh for AI and as a Pistons fan, I don't mind this trade.

a) The team was getting a bit stale, sure they were regular Eastern Conference Finalists, but they just didn't have the same urgency come Finals, so a shake up isn't such a bad thing.

b) If it works it could be very good, a bit like when Dumars brought in Sheed and went on to win the title.

c) If it doesn't work and they flop, it doesn't really matter, with AI and Sheed of the books they free up about 35mil

d) I'm disappointed to see Dyess go without ever winning that elusive ring (if anyone remembers him before the dodgy knees he was an all-star and appeared just a nice guy), however we have some decent young bigs coming through in Maxiell and Amir, so the minutes just weren't there for Dyess but he was averaging 19 per game and appeared happy with that.

On a side note apparently Dyess has said he will not suit for Denver and with either seek a buyout (he's owed 13.6mil over the next 2 seasons) or he will retire. Word is that Denver are only offering a buyout figure of about 6.8mil. I'm hoping and have heard that the Pistons have basically made the point to Denver to buy him out and they are going to resign him in 30 days. I hope so.

Reply #210109 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

If Detroit pulls a rabbit from the hat and makes it to the Finals, Dumars for GM of the Year.

Ballsy trade, but thinking about it overnight it does make sense. My only concern is chemistry. The Pistons seemed a pretty tight unit and Billups (and Sheed) seem to be the leader.

I do like the fact that if it's fails, then $35 mill is coming off the books between Sheed and AI. It opens up time for the young studs in Max and Amir. $35 mill on next years FA class will reload the Pistons again for another couple of years.

IMO this trade now makes the Camby trade even more dreadful. They gave Camby away for a cheezeburger minus the fries. I'm sure they could really really use him right now. This also opens up a heap of time for JR Smith. The Nugs still have that $10mill TPE floating around so I expect some more moves to be made.

The Nugs also waived Juwon Howard to make this work.

Reply #210111 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Denver seem to have received the better deal with Billups. Chauncey is still going up the hill whereas AI is on the downward spiral of NBA life.

The need to trade over McDyess was pointless and they won't play him over Nene or K-Mart. Personally I would have been more aggressive and said Billups for Iverson straight up. Iverson isn't worth the money anymore.

Also, last time I checked; didn't Rip Hamilton say he would want a trade if Billups left? Fairly sure he has said that on a number of interviews with him and Billups.

Reply #210112 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Agree with all of the above, i think pistons come out way in front. Cap space, AI is a scoring PG just like Billups.

He is HUNGRY for a title so i think it will work. He is also respected by people in the L so fitting in with Sheed, Rip and Tay won't be a prob.

Can't wait to see AI in a pistons jersey...

Where does it leave the nuggets? They get Billups to run the show, when healthy...

He may be a better fit in Denver, but he doesn't change their chances that much. I think they are better for it, but only just... so whats the point?

More Denver deals to come?

Reply #210117 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Billups for AI straight up doesn't work. Billups is on $11 mill whilst AI is on $21 mill.

AI is expiring, whilst Billups is owed:

08/09: $11,050,000
09/10: $12,100,000
10/11: $13,150,000
11/12: $14,200,000 (unguaranteed)

I don't think Billups is on the way up either. I think he's just crossed over his peak and on the way down. He's 32 and at 35 will be earing $13 million.

Reply #210118 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Billups would be loving it. He no longer has to play defense.

Reply #210120 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I reckon the kicker comes playoff time. lets say the pistons meet the celtics. Who have they got to stop him?

AI in the East is a lot different to AI in the West IMO as the West have stronger guard D overall.

Reply #210121 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Dude- you don't think Rondo can keep close to AI and contest every jumper? And when he gets past him, AI vs KG?

Wallace would be the key for any Piston Celtic final.

Reply #210123 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

JR Smith is now going to dominate, everyone must pick him up in fantasy

Reply #210127 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why wouldn't Dice play on? Was pretty valuable last year, I seem to remember?

Reply #210131 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Check out ESPN Isaac- source says Dice threat to either except a buyout or he'll retire. Dude only playing to be a champ and lets be honest- he has zero chance of that playing for the nugglets.

Reply #210133 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

Very intriguing trade this one. I think the Pistons may end up with the better deal.

Reply #210135 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Everyone talking of the summer of 2010, but ESPN had an article a while back noting some of the guys who would be available at the end of this year...

Bryant, Boozer, Marion etc. Now that lot is no Bron, Wade or Bosh, but how bout this line up for the pistons...

Stucky
Hamilton
Prince
Boozer
Wallace

Can you say - D-Amn.

Reply #210137 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

still don't make much sense though, you got two player of SAME style in Rip and Allen while one's a Allen's no doubt better scorer but Rip been there longer and would probably be unhappy to be benched.

And Allen probably won't go point guard because Detroit is in love with Stuckey so he'll probably start. Really don't see why Detroit signed the paper

Reply #210141 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ironic that Mcdyess started his career at Denver, and Billups started there as well after Boston traded him.

Reply #210153 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I doubt that RIP will be benched. I think they will start Iverson and RIP and bring Stuckey off the bench still. A good three guard rotation! Once Iverson leaves/retires/is traded Stuckey will then start.

Reply #210158 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Could the Pistons be trying to make a run for LeBron in a few years time? Or is that out of the question?

Reply #210164 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

Interesting that you mention that AK, over at yahoo.com columnist Adrian Wojnarowski has posted this article:

Pistons get Iverson now, LeBron Later?

Allen Iverson still gives the Pistons a puncher's chance in the Eastern Conference this season, but this trade isn't about him. It isn't about Chauncey Billups.

Think bigger.

Think bolder.

Think LeBron James, 2010

Quite an interesting read, and after seeing some of the moves Joe Dumars has made in his time as GM this looks like it could be a real chance!

Reply #210168 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

Good read.

If true this could really test LeBron. If he really wants to win he would go to Detroit. If just says he wants to win but actually just wants to market himself and his empire then he will go to NJ or NY.

The potential Detroit line up looks scary:

Stuckey
RIP
Prince
Lebron
Johnson
Maxiell

Reply #210172 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I like the chances of NY for him just for the market, if he wants to win, NJ:

Vince Carter, Lebron James, Yi

Big three right there for you

Reply #210204 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I think LBJ wants to win, but i also think his ego thinks he can win no matter where he goes.

He'll be a knick for sure from 2010 onwards.

Reply #210231 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:38 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754