concerned parent
Years ago

Salary cap for juniors?

I heard tonight of a club that has approached a very junior player from interstate and offered this player an incentive to play for them. The incentive includes, accomodation (with a club family) schooling and even airfares. Can anyone tell me what are the rules if any, in this situation?

Topic #1813 | Report this topic

Dexter St. Jock  
Years ago

Sorry I find this a little over the top! No club would offer schooling & airfares to a junior player, this isn't college!!!

Local clubs just don't have that kind of coin.

Reply #20611 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

No, local clubs don't have that sort of coin, especially Forestville. Mr Sweeney can back us up on this if you like!

Reply #20616 | Report this post

concerned parent  
Years ago

I also thought this was over the top but This a TRUE situation that is on offer right now. So are there any rules ?

Reply #20619 | Report this post

choc wheaten  
Years ago

What club is it then?

Reply #20622 | Report this post

Thomas  
Years ago

Who cares what club! The club may not be paying for it..... A sponsor might be offering it, a few parents may be offering it.....
Concerned Parent is just curious on the rules of junior basketball in regards to poaching & paying Junior players (whether by money or incentives).
And who's to say it is the exact truth (could be a little stretched)..... BUT what are the rules?
Each and every year my Club in Port Pirie are accused of poaching etc. as we are extremely successful, but unfortunately to the losing clubs, it remains a fact we have great coaches & a great junior program.
And recently our town has had quite a few players move here for almost the exact same reason.... School. Where they are living their high school is a little undedrdone, so they move four hours, while the parents commute to work for 4 days on, 4 days off.
I did a google search, but may have been entering the wrong qyestion, I could not find anything!
So for concerned parents sake & the first reason she has posted the new discussion..... What are the rules?

Reply #20625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do we knwo concerned parent is a she?

Reply #20627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt?!?!

Reply #20631 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Schools do it...

Reply #20632 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

Schools do it and clubs do it, and have been doing it for a long time with players from the country, and im assuming this kid is from a country area to be coming over here to play. Lets face it, rules or no rules on it, it always has happened and it always will, coz providing accomodation to your players is not incentives or payment, and would never stand as it

Reply #20635 | Report this post

concerned parent  
Years ago

as Thomas has said the name of the club is irrelevent, I am just asking the question as to the rules if any in this situation., which happens to be a true senario.

Richard you say "providing accomodation to your players is not incentives or payment, and would never stand as it"

If this is true then does that mean that ABL players can be provided with accomodation, university fees ect and it not effect the salary cap ?

Reply #20641 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

ABL is different from juniors. Senior players can work, and make their own way. Younger kids cannot

Reply #20643 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

I do believe it is true. I had more than a few kids in my time get the same treatment, especially from Darwin. Accomodation for juniors is with team families, unlike ABL who would be given rooms on their own or share with roommate. as for university fees, doubtful, with the HECS and HELP schemes, whereas school fees cannot be government contributed. Also there is a high chance of scholarships to the kid, ive seen this happen also.

Reply #20644 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

Moses g, you are such a fool...as always. F/Ville have so much coin its not funny...Shame they cant win a championship though...

Reply #20646 | Report this post

Easy Rider  
Years ago

Doug

You fool with a short memory Forestville won both the men and Women's championship in 2003
any how what has thet got to do with this thread bigger fool

Reply #20650 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Incentives by lodging players from the country at peoples houses, I beleive is more to help families out. By reducing the cost to country families would definetly entice more to come down and give opportunity for their child to play. I beleive it possible for a club to entice country players with incentives, but airfares sounds a bit much. There are only two clubs that could afford it but i would be suprised if it was true. There are no rules stopping clubs from doing this.

Reply #20660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this situation is different to the country kid that comes to town for the weekend and stays with a family to play friday night then train on the weekend and go home. This is a primary school or first year high school child who the club are offering to accomodate, educate and pay the airfares. This child lives interstate.
Big responsibility for a family to have someone elses child live with them for a few months.
(may be good for the host familys childs court time ;-))
I wouldnt want my child living with another family for the sake of a game

Reply #20662 | Report this post

realdeal  
Years ago

Reply #20665 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

This player boy or girl must be very talented if its true.

Reply #20667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Concerned Parent,

"I heard tonight of a club that has"

This is as far as your post goes before it becomes false/rumor or gossip.

Knowledge is power
Don't let a little miss information go to your head.

Reply #20670 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Doug, was a little play on words relating to a previous post/war between Panther and the entire Forestville club. Don't be calling Smokin' Mo a fool or I'll take your shovel away and then you'll be Douglas.

Reply #20682 | Report this post

it's not that expensive.

Billet the player with a family - for zilcho.

Enroll the kid in a state school.

offer airfares every holidays - can't be that dear to broken Hill or Mildura

It is not unreasonable - say $2,000

we are not talking private schools or expensive accomodation

Reply #20687 | Report this post

I have no problems with it - it happens in every other sport - he could be with relatives in adelaide

Reply #20726 | Report this post

London or Prag  
Years ago

I believe concerned parent is a parent of a player that may be forced out of a team with this child coming into it. I do believe the I know the team but as for the payments, you are way off. The accomodation is temporary and the education is scholarship based. Get facts straight please.

Reply #20738 | Report this post

Mr.Bean  
Years ago

Bingo, at long last you have hit the nail on the head. A player will be squeezed out of the team, and this will go all the way through to lower division's as well. All sports do it, and it has been going on for as long as I can remeber.

Reply #20795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find concerned parent isn't even involved with the club in question so I'd say your wrong.

Reply #20796 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

Hasn't this topic (or at least one relating to junior "incentives") been done before. If memory serves it got removed as the Club in question has issues with it's truth. Don't worry, concerned parent, as soon as Sturt find out who you are, your child will have the privelige of being offered "incentives" to play for another club as well.

Reply #20798 | Report this post

innocent observer  
Years ago

Stip u dont make any sense. What do you mean. Are you from sturt and saying sturt will try and get rid of concern parent? Or are you accusing sturt of offering the incentives?

Reply #20801 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The whole point of this thread is to discuss the issue, not the instance. Try to stick to that please.

Reply #20807 | Report this post

concerned parent  
Years ago

I have not said and will not say which club is involved as that is not the issue nor is it necessary.
I am just curious to know if this is allowed and/or are their any rules regarding it.
I have read so much about salary cap for the ABL teams and saw this as a lot of money, potentially, being spent on a junior player. To be truthful I have been surprised to read that this situation is common place.
My Child nor their team will be affected in this instance.
But, just say your child was a marginal div 1 player, playes most games in div 1 throughout summer, has played with the club for a number of years, pay their fees every season. Yes I would be pissed if I found that my club was offering said incentives to an interstate player.

Reply #20817 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Can we clarify what age group we are talking about and whether it is Boy or Girl

Reply #20818 | Report this post

innocent observer  
Years ago

I still think Stip needs to clarify what he/she is trying to say or withdraw it. Its open to some interesting interpretations.

Reply #20820 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

parent -- where do you stand on the concept of scholarships for private schools? A lot of parents would be paying full rate for their children. A few children would be receiving free or subsidised tuition because of their potential intellect or athletic ability. This commonly occurs with 12-13 yo students.

Is the junior basketball case all that different.

Reply #20821 | Report this post

concerned parent  
Years ago

why are the rules for under 10`s different to under 14`s and different to under 18`s and different again between boys and girls?

Reply #20822 | Report this post

concerned parent  
Years ago

Valid point Isaac, I had not thought to compare the two and I see the similarities.

How ever one difference I can see is children that are full fee paying at a private school are not "disadvantaged" by having a scholarship or subsidized child attend the same school. I know that you could say well they may miss out on a spot on the basketball team or the footy team, but school sport is not the same level as district.

So do I get the feeling that the general consensus is that this practice goes on a LOT and there are no rules or guidelines to say it cant and it is quite an acceptable that it does ?

Reply #20823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The age group of this concern's is under 14 Boys and the child in question turns 13 this year.

Reply #20827 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Is this boy going to seperate the top three sides? ie Sturt, West or Norwood.

Reply #20836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not if he playes for Centrals ;-)

Reply #20840 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

Sorry for confusing people with my earlier post. On re-reading it I have even confused myself!

Separate point addressing the "how would you feel if your kid was dropped because of a new-comer" - Some input from coaches would be good here but in m observations the 8th or 9th player in any team is dispensible and nearly always borderline. Maybe the kid who is going to be dropped should work harder and smarter to prove their worth.

Reply #20875 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

How would you feel if your child was dropped?

What difference does it make if the new player comes from interstate, overseas or across the road? Players miss out on selections for teams all the time, in every division, in every age group.

If a player deserves to make it on merit then good luck to them regardless of the circumstances they join the team.

If some parent/parents/sponsors or the club itself is willing to support a kid move to Adelaide to play then good luck to both the kid and the club.

Who is anyone to deprive the child of what they and their parents must consider is a great opportunity both from an educational and basketball standpoint?

Nothing can be done to stop this sort of recruiting and why should it?

Reply #20883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is this person playing for centrals and does it have anything to do with them co hosting the U14s Aust club chanpionship?

Reply #20940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No and No.

Reply #20946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North or woodville?

Reply #20951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not playing yet, recuiting by a certain club only at this stage, so kid is still a free agent.

Reply #20952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which club??

Reply #20959 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Where is he coming from/

Reply #20962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does it matter? It's not the point.

Reply #20963 | Report this post

London or Prag  
Years ago

All will be revealed at the first game on Friday, just kidding, he will be training with the team in question this week. Not sure when he will start. Could be after this season, this will not but make a division between the top three but make it even more competitive. THERS SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Reply #20997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a load of bull. he is not training this week as his parents have not even given a decision but his 180 cm height in under 14 will make some different.

Reply #21005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This topic is starting to make me curious. My experiences with junior basketball is that trying to get players from Midura is very hard as the issue of eligability and crossing borders makes life difficult to organise. Broken Hill players though appear to be able to do it though easily. At a guess I would say the 180cm lad from there may be the one being talked about. He would also be quite suited to the Mavs U14 group as well as he knows them well.

Reply #21019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

guess again.
not mildura not broken hill

Reply #21021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trying to guess the club and team is just stirring up trouble. Can we stick to discussing the issue. By the way, none of the incentives talked about above have been offered. What is written in the first post is not the case. It's just a kid from interstate who may be moving to SA who is being trialled, nothing more nothing less. I think you will find a number of players have moved into SA from interstate in the past year and this is no different.

Reply #21024 | Report this post

London or Prag  
Years ago

Lets just say there are two if not three teams after him. 180cm is not tall in u14s. West have four guys around that height if not taller. The above post is true though that he is being trialled and that is all. Norwood have two guys around that height and sturt also have I think two guys bigger or same height.

Reply #21088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would come in handy than for teams who do not have the height,
possibly then changing top 4 position.

Reply #21096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

particularly if he has a VERY strong family connection with a team that is not in the top 3

Reply #21098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so instead of the strong teams become even stronger would even the comp up a bit, which these strong clubs whinge all the time about is that the comp is not strong enough for them because they are so much superior then everyone else.

Reply #21100 | Report this post

London or Prag  
Years ago

wait lets all play happy clubs. dont let clubs that develop juniors get better, lets let all clubs rejoice by sharing the talent that good clubs work on.

Reply #21147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the stronger clubs are stronger because they actually work harder. Certain clubs think they work hard but actually don't, they do a fraction of the work and spend the rest of the time trying to take down the stronger clubs.

Reply #21175 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

London or Prag - haven't you missed the Bus? Aren't we talking about recruiting from interstate/Country and not from other Adelaide clubs?

Either way, what is wrong with sharing the talent? Surely that makes the competition better. Afterall what are we aiming for? Better State teams that get results at Nationals or better club teams that get results at Classics or Clubs.

Reply #21176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pegs, if London has missed the bus, you are still a few stops behind.

U14, which I believe is the age group in question, is about Club Championships, not state teams at Nationals.

Why should others clubs gain from the hard work of a few.

Reply #21180 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think club results at nationals are a better reflection on the health of ball in this State. State teams are artificial and only show a small group in an unusual format of competition.

If SA had 3 teams finish top 10 in the Classics I think it would be a better result than a 3rd at the Nationals. It would show depth across the comp

Reply #21181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here, Here you are so right Doc.

Reply #21182 | Report this post

TheDoctor. I agree. but that is only one way to measure it. All the stakeholders in basketball have different roles and measurements on their performance.

(#21180) Anonymous: I agree with Pegs. How is a "weaker" club recruiting a player, not currently playing in the comp going to damage a stronger club?

(#21175) Anonymous: This makes no sense and is baseless. Have you been out to see a club you consider weaker? I have seen both perspectives. Please investigate your point more closely before posting such hateful diatribe.

Reply #21184 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

I don't disagree with thedoctor.

However I believe that a strong competition will provide far better results at Clubs/Classics as opposed to having one, two or three strong clubs that beat everyone else by 60pts... (IMHO).

In reference to #21180, I believe all junior grades is about developing players for the state program, whether it be U/14s or even U/10s. So whilst U/14s compete in clubs and not state, we are still developing players for state teams in later years.

With respect to the comment "why should others clubs gain from the hard work of a few" - No club owns a player, you must create an environment that engenders loyalty by providing good, educated coaches, a pathway to success and a fun learning environment. ie if you want to keep you players, keep them happy.

Getting back to the reason for this thread. Bringing in players from other clubs and the country can cause resentment from the 8th and 9th players because they may be dropped or get less court time. Therefore it is likely that some clubs that do this will lose some players some of the time because they are not happy :-)

Reply #21188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals have been known to offer money

Reply #27708 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:14 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754