1st Here
Years ago

S.O.J - Six Free Throws

Gold Coast v Perth

Coach Henry was Ejected and the penalty was six free throws to the Gold Coast

Coach Joyce sends his son to the line (59% shooter from the stripe)

S.O.J makes five out of six free throws for his only points for the game

What a joke BJ wants to coach Australia - S.O.J will be the starting point guard

Topic #18342 | Report this topic

ballerbands  
Years ago

he hit five out of six, thats 85% up there with the best free throw shooters, whats the problem with that coaching decision???? not saying i rate the guy but that is a pretty ridiculous critism!!

Reply #215601 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

If he made 5 out of 6 then he didn't do such a bad job? I'm sure if Heal was on or any other good free throw shooter he would have made them shoot it. Or if his team was up by heaps give them to SOJ.

Reply #215602 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who was on at the time that you would've picked over Joyce?

Reply #215607 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

he made 5 or 6 the issue is? seriously get of daniel joyce back.

Reply #215616 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

I'm sick of everyone on this kid's back. He can play the game. He has shown that. I think people need to start encouraging him, because he is a skilled PG who might be in the Boomers squad in a few years, playing the PG position behind Mills.

Reply #215639 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Until he plays without having his dad as the Coach he will continue to cop it.

I sat through listening to most of Joyces Seniors time outs when they played here last season and he made Daniel the key focus in most of his rants. At one point screaming at other to get the ball in his hands and screaming at Daniel to be a hero.

Reply #215643 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

lol SKUX101 you are dreaming! He should never be in the Australian squad!

Reply #215648 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"I'm sick of everyone on this kid's back. He can play the game. He has shown that. I think people need to start encouraging him, because he is a skilled PG who might be in the Boomers squad in a few years, playing the PG position behind Mills."

Lol, only if his daddy's coach.

Imagine that... SoJ vs. CP3 in 2012. Huge match-up!

Now I have no idea who else was on the court at this point in the game but here's a list of Blaze plyers who are shooting FT's at a better clip than SoJ:

B.Melmeth
P.Cameron
C.Frank
L.Whitehead
S.Heal
T.Demos
G.Vanderjagt
J.Harvey
S.McGregor
J.Bowen

Yes, that's the ENTIRE TEAM!!!

SoJ has been the WORST free-throw shooter on the team this year!!! And he's Brendan's shooter-of-choice!?!

Absolute joke.

Reply #215657 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

PS. Isaac, what the hell's with this:

"Error 1.2.BM. You must be a registered and logged in user to discuss Ben Melmeth."

Lol, don't tell me he's done a Voldemort!? I had to type that twice lol.

Or is it because of that clown who kept saying Melmeth would play NBA?

Reply #215659 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

This is just a stupid thread. If he missed all 6 complain, but he didnt, come on.

Reply #215660 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I don't think the point is how many he made.

I think the point, and I believe it's a relevant one, is that he should not have been chosen (based on his previous percentage) to be the one taking them.

I totally agree that it shows favouritism from the coach.

It's not being "on his back" or picking on him....the criticism, from my view goes directly at Brendan not Daniel.

Reply #215662 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Exactly DICKO.

Reply #215664 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Or is it because of that clown who kept saying Melmeth would play NBA?
Correct!

Reply #215665 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BTW, what was the scoreline at the time he took the shots? Just thinking that maybe they were up by heaps at the time and the coach wanted to give some easy points to someone who was yet to score?

Reply #215666 | Report this post

1st Here  
Years ago

Dicko - you understood my post

Question is "Why would you choose a 59% shooter" It should always go to the best shooter in the team

Fact is Daniel has been way way below par for the Nbl and if he were not the coaches Son he would not be given as much grace and playing time

Reply #215670 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Having seen a lot of Blaze games Im quite shocked that Daniel is shooting such a low %age. I would have picked him as the most consistent behind Heal and Harvey. The worst i would have thought would be between Whitehead and Casey Frank.

At practise before the Breakers game Heal actually bettered his record for consecutive free throws. His previous best was 143 - and he has now improved that mark to 185 shots without a miss.

Reply #215674 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Don't his 14 misses this year count? Or did he hit 185 all in one session?

And Whitehead is 52 from 64, that's a great clip! I was suprised at that too.

Reply #215675 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think it was probably as Isaac said they were probably up by lots and so they just gave it to Daniel to score some points.

Reply #215692 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

It's funny how Tyson Demos never gets these garbage points.

Reply #215693 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Xztatik, the 185 was done during the week at the end of a team practice - he had one person rebounding and passing the ball straight back and hit 185 in a row

Reply #215698 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I think its more a case of father knowing the progress of his son's training the previous week that may have made up his mind. How does anyone on this forum have any idea about how Daniel trained the previous week. He may have got 90% of his free throws in on a consistent basis throughout the week of training making him a good option to be chosen to take the 6 shots. I am also fed up with the crap he puts up with because of his father being the coach. Perhaps the sames rules apply to SOH (son of Hill) in Adelaide. Its pretty ridiculous. I agree he should be given encouragement rather than putting him down all the time. His father may be the coach but the son is in an appropriate position on the team based on his skills and experience.

Reply #215699 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

EC, a player's free-throw shooting doesn't differ that much from week to week. It is understandable if they choose their 2nd best shooter over their 1st because he is on fire, but you don't choose your WORST free-throw shooter when he hasn't hit a shot all game. You just don't.

"Perhaps the sames rules apply to SOH (son of Hill) in Adelaide."

I'm sure Hill would cop plenty if he was performing as shit as SoJ and getting an unreasonable amount of game time like him. But he's actually performing well, in low minutes. Stupid comparison.

Reply #215701 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

There was a time when SOH was performing like shit. How many turnovers did we sit through before being taken off the court. He has improved and if his game on Saturday night is now his benchmark, I would say he has a come a long way. The situation in Adelaide is the same. Ninnis has recruited many young inexperienced players this season with the intention of developing them. I think Bruce has been given too many minutes for his experience and the performance he has been putting in, but that is all toward the development cause. BJ is doing the same with his son.

Reply #215702 | Report this post

Facebook  
Years ago

I think Bruce has been given too many minutes for his experience and the performance he has been putting in

Are you suggesting that it's Ninnis' fault Brett and Brad were injured. Or would you prefer to see Pinny get minutes over Bruce?

Again, silly comparision EC.

Reply #215718 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's funny how Tyson Demos never gets these garbage points.
Might have already scored in that game.

EC, while Richard has been assistant coach, Hill has been performing. If he's been off his game, it's been in previous seasons when Richard had no coaching involvement with the team.

Reply #215727 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

Was tyson on the court, seriously this is so over the top with this blatant Daniel Joyce bashing.

Daniel Joyce has improved this season, his shooting % is up and he is even in the top 5 3 point shooting % in the nbl.

If you look at past matches he started off bad at the three throw line at the beginning of the season but since has been one of there best.

Come seriously get over it, i also agree reference the SOJ is poor. Should we also start calling Stephen Black SOB....

Everyone goes on and on about the favouritism he gets from Coach Joyce.

If you do a comparison of Alan Black when he first began coaching Stephen at the same age, is pretty much the same. Did SOB get the same treatment no, so lighten up and encourage the kid, he has had some impressive numbers and poor numbers this year, but he does have the talent to play in this league

Reply #215740 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wildcats fans routinely talk about how many of them used to question Black's game time back then so it's hardly unique to the Joyces.

Reply #215751 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

isaac it wasnt to this level.

Reply #215770 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A couple of factors: wider gap between demonstrated talent and game time, and Black did less to piss off people in Perth, etc. Many Hawks fans seem to have real issues with Joyce, and it's not like he's always a calm and collected guy around the court - see the flare up with Cooks at the last Wollongong game.

Reply #215773 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I'm tired of the fashionable SOJ-bashing too. He must be as embarrassed as hell being in the position that he's been thrust into. I'm not one to hang off of any word that Shane Heal says, but he paints the kid as a really hard worker & is sympathetic to the mindless bashing that he cops.
Simple answer, FOD's (Father of Daniel) the problem.

Reply #215795 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Many Hawks fans seem to have real issues with Joyce, and it's not like he's always a calm and collected guy around the court - see the flare up with Cooks at the last Wollongong game."

Exactly, I used to feel sorry for SoJ like some of you guys but from what I've seen he's as arrogant as his father.

Isaac, is there actually any footage of SoJ screaming "f*** you" at the 'gong crowd a few weeks ago that you know of? Would like to see that myself.

Reply #215825 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

XztatiK:

"I used to feel sorry for SoJ like some of you guys but from what I've seen he's as arrogant as his father"

Please, do tell us what you've seen.

Reply #215830 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Well let's see DD, that would be... Blaze games. Blaze games is the answer there, lots and lots of Blaze games.

Reply #215831 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

...and his 'highlight' clip:

lol.

Reply #215832 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:54 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754