Anonymous
Years ago

Are 36ers A Lock for NewBL?

Is it 100% certain the Adelaide will feature in the NewBL? You would have to think so, especially with the best crowds in the country year in year out. And if they are in it, will they still be the called the 36ers? Would just be nice to hear the owner say something regarding the NewBL, assuring fans that we will be in it next year.

Topic #18357 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

where wil they get their 1.5 million guarantee from?

Reply #215786 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't make assurances when aspects of that decision are in the hands of the league. Could really only say that they will give it their best.

The other factor here is new ownership. An existing owner might not be part of that NewBL bid whereas a new owner might not be in a position to be making public comments at this stage.

Right now, I'd look at the crowds at games and be pretty confident the team will be around for you to support. The best way for fans to do their bit is by getting to games, spreading the word, helping Julius make the atmosphere at the Dome second to none, etc.

Reply #215787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and another question. Will their be the minimum 8 teams with the money to put forward a team.
Locks would only be Tigers, Dragons, Perth,Breakers and probably Townsville.
Probably will be a Sydney team and Adelaide
Gold Coast only a maybe along with Brisbane.
Wollongong a probably not.

Tough to say

Reply #215790 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

where wil they get their 1.5 million guarantee from?
The owner?

I think there will be reasonable bids from Perth, Adelaide, South, Melbourne, NZ. Then Townsville and Gold Coast will give it a shot. And the Brisbane group will probably try too.

Not sure if a Sydney group would get going in time. And I think Wollongong are done - I suspect they're battling to stay afloat right now.

Wonder if there's an incentive for, say, a Brisbane or Sydney group to get involved now rather than just sit out, avoid a bit of the risk, and join a year or two down the track? Surely you'd look to favour those teams which invest straight off and shoulder that risk?

Reply #215792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe, but a well funded Sydney group will never, ever get knocked back. They could sit out next season and make demands going into the next, and they'll still find the red carpet waiting for them. Brisbane might not be able to play that game on their own, but possibly on the tails of Sydney.

Sitting out the opening risky year might be smart, but then, Sydney sitting out the opening year might in itself make it unnecessarily risky.

Reply #215794 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

There may be a group away from the current or even new owner of the 36ers that will be making a bid for the Adelaide Team in the NEW NBL.

Reply #215796 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me what exactly is the New NBL?

What is the difference to the current NBL?

Does it mean that exisiting clubs are pretty much valueless?

What is in it for me?

I still dont see what the fuss is about...we are going to get the same thing weve had for the past 5 years..nothing new or special?

Reply #215800 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Uncertain times ahead, & as Isaac mentioned, the best way to consolidate our chances of a bid in the NewNBL is to do whatever we can to fill the Dome this season.
The Sydney red carpet theory has me stressed out beyond belief. I for one don't want a Sydney team that's backed by numbheads that turned their backs on the NBL, by not attending games in NSW this season. The Spirit have won the hearts of 'Ballheads around Australia, with their guts & determination. It'd be a shame if a bunch of spoilt tools got their way by sending the Spirit packing, & then got rewarded by the Purple Ponces getting the nod.

Reply #215803 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There may be a group away from the current or even new owner of the 36ers that will be making a bid for the Adelaide Team in the NEW NBL.
Might as well put your money through a shredder. Even if the NBL might approve it, that group would be throwing their money away.

Partner with the 36ers and make one strong side rather than have the 36ers getting 5k/game and another team struggling away on the side.

Reply #215805 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

Isaac, I would not think that there would be two Adelaide teams. It hasn't bean said that the existing teams will automatically get in. If a new group came cashed up and had basketball first then I can't see why they wouldn't get in.

Then I guess the existing owner may sell the team name to the new group, as I'm sure it would be much more cost effective to go ahead calling the team the 36ers rather then spending the money on rebranding.

Reply #215807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Number 44 - It hasn't "bean" said. Bean? lol

You've got to be joking? Did you graduate from Primary School mate?

Reply #215808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No point discussing it Number 44. If theres going to be a team in Adelaide next year its going to be the 36ers.

Reply #215809 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

44, you're dreaming. The NBL will look at a half-decent bid from the 36ers, know they're a lock to get 4,000 people each game and rubber-stamp them in.

Or they'll make a mistake and let in two teams, one of which won't be the "36ers" and will struggle.

If someone who doesn't currently own the club wanted in on the NewBL, they should've flashed cash when it was up for grabs, or get involved with them now. The path you've outlined will be a waste of time.

Reply #215810 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Wont there need to be three owners of the 36ers anyway?

Reply #215812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good pojnt skip. We've just got a new owner for the 36ers but there will need to be 2 more co-owner for next year.

Reply #215813 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not sure how the league will be able to play hard-ball over those requirements (or those involving community ownership/involvement) Skip otherwise they might not get even eight teams hitting their wishlist.

I can see people making bids and then the NBL negotiating certain points, such as "What if you created a formal partnership with Grassroots Org X? That would be good." Or "Perhaps your largest sponsor could be more of a stakeholder?"

Reply #215814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the NewBL definately going to be during Summer or is there any chance of winter? Just about everyone: players, fans, coaches etc agree winter would be better.

Reply #215815 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

i think you will find you would not be taking on the team now if you did not have a very strong feeling that you are part of the new league.

Also if the new owner has venutix in their corner it would make a pretty strong application to be part of the new nbl.

the way things are going i think the correct question is is the NewNBL a lock for the 36ers?

Reply #215816 | Report this post

Battery Park  
Years ago

Number 44 sounds like your idea is a has bean.

Too many beans on the go at once for you

Reply #215817 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

interesting...but.... I still am not seeing a difference.

What will The NBL 09/10 offer...that NBL 08/09 doesnt?

and i mean what will it offer to...
The Fans
The Owners
The Sponsors

If the only difference s that it is 8 teams...well at the rate we are going thats how many we will have at the end of this year anyway?

Reply #215821 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

i think they should flaot 20% of the team...let some others in and pay for it that way!

Reply #215822 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I asked the same question a while ago me

I cant see what is going to be so special about the new league, after all it will be the same game being played by the same people.

If owners arent or have not been prepared in the past to put money into the comp then why will they going forward.

I can't see how they are going to attract new sponsors either, to me it is not like (insert household name company here) is going to wake up one morning and say i know lets go sponsor this new sport called basketball and throw millions of dollars at the admin.

i await with interest to see what comes of it all.

Reply #215823 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

and i mean what will it offer to...
The Fans
The Owners
The Sponsors
To fans, not necessarily much would change although we would ideally see more of the game on FTA and paid TV. Owners will be asked to contribute more financially and in terms of stability/guarantees/etc. Much of that extra input would go towards a centralised marketing fund and possibly also pay to put the league on FTA TV.

The thinking is that getting the game on TV (increased exposure) will provide more benefits to sponsors and clubs and hopefully recoup some of the investment made by the owner.

Then, down the track, bids for TV rights would return more to clubs and alleviate pressure on them to get their income mostly from tickets and sponsorship.

Reply #215829 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

thanks...so, to me it seems nothing is really going to change at all.

I assume there is some thinking that Soccer did it.so it will work for NBL, of course the big difference there was the "ethnicity" that was removed/diluted from soccer which made it more accessible to the general public. I dont think Basketball has anything like that to open it up...we had it in the 80/90s

What has changed since then???

Re the free to air, i wonder how much the new digital channels will affect this...with 10 proposing a 24hour sport channel, perhaps there is room there for the NBL?

sadly at the moment, I am not seeing or hearing anything that says next year will be better than this. :(

Reply #215835 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The way I'm think, next year may not even exist.

Reply #215839 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Forget ethnicity, the elements from the A-League they're looking to emulate are the rebrand and the TV deal. Mention the NBL now to many and the reaction tells you its brand is associated with failure and problems.

One issue I have is that the burden/risk lies predominantly with the owners and they don't exactly have ideal methods of choosing the path forward. I bet a few felt a little bullied in the recent vote.

They may come through the other end with a TV deal and better NBL advertising, but still losing money (like A-League teams, like Port Power, etc), but the risk is that it could be a lot worse. Right now, a team like Cairns could have manageable losses with good crowds, reasonable corporate support and a manageable roster cost (rather than blowing the cap on 3-4 players) as they may have done in recent years.

Reply #215841 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

While you can't guarantee the Sixers as a team for the new league; you can easily say that they would be one of the teams most likely to survive. Anyone wanting to invest in a team for next year would be able to look at crowd turnouts, season ticket sales, marketing etc. etc. and Adelaide pretty much leads by example in most fields.

Not too bad when you have a strong support base with devoted fans and a track record for brilliant players (not consistently, but it's still there).

I think you would find Clubs like Perth and Adelaide will stay around mainly for their current states. At present I think the hard part is places like melbourne where you have 2 local teams who both have a decent fan base and potential "profitability".

I would like to think that every team would be staying. This season has probably been one of the most up and down starts I've seen in a long time. The "culling" of other teams has made for a stronger overall collections of teams "player wise".

Reply #215883 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:03 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754