vanexel31
Years ago

How about starting season in Dec?

Not saying this will work just throwing it out there. Thinking the NBL might want to consider starting the season in December. The real only reason being to capitalize on those players who get cut at the end of NBA pre-season. If our season started in Dec we could have Hodge for a whole season, and maybe all next season if his NBA try-out is unsuccessful. When we cut Tyndale we had a choice of 3 guys with NBA experience, if we started in Dec all teams would have a chance to bring in some great imports, improving the quality of the league. Obviously there would be a clash with footy, just wanting to know peoples thoughts.

Topic #18359 | Report this topic

Big Ads  
Years ago

The "festive season" effect might work against a December start as it would be competing against many non sporting events (i.e end of year break-ups, christmas parties and school holidays - families going on holidays). More importantly it is generally a period in which many people are spending their money on other things like christmas presents and not on basketball tickets.

Reply #215828 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

At this rate, with all the teams disapearing..we will be able to start AND FINISH in December. :)

Reply #215836 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

lol, yeah I would hate that because of the football clash but it could be good for the non-football fans. Highly doubt it will happen although the availability of NBA rejects is certainly a plus.

Reply #215853 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The NBL is already on shaky ground with clubs here and there folding. Any major changes like that would only come if it established itself as a strong league. The NBL has far more pressing issues at the present time to concern itself with changing the seasons.

Reply #215867 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

delaying the season 2 months is no major dramatic change in my opinion. teams are folding due to low attendance, but take our team as an example of how just one quality player can improve attendance. Its not the total solution ill admit that, but a sport struggling for attendance and tv ratings i feel should look at this.

If Hodge was on another NBL team, plenty of adelaide people will want to go to see 'is this guy really that good?'. Take last seasons sixers taipans game, almost a full house. you think the chance to see nathan jawai play didnt contribute to that crowd size? also being the last time to see Hodge?.

with the footy thing, there is only one AFL game in adelaide a week, only Melbourne may really feel the pinch havig multiple AFL sides. Basketball has attracted crowds during footy season in the past. If the crows or power game is a sat night, schedule the sixers for friday.

one last thing about poor crowds in Dec, with it being the new season and fans eager to see the sie after 6 months, i think it will boost attendance in what is a pretty hectic month. Instead of going 'Ive seen the sixers every week, ill go to this party instead, some may be keener to see the sixers 1st game of the season rather than get hammered at a mates or whatever.

thanks or the responces, appreciate it.

Reply #215876 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:18 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754