Tassie!
Years ago

NewBL a college/uni funded league?

Heard rumours of this the other day. Surely this is an awesome option with healthy player incentives i.e scholarships and promotion of the game.

It works well in the NCAA and would obviously be of a smaller scale in AUS but why isnt this being supported widely?

Topic #18423 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Due to our lack of population I would guess.

Reply #216821 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

All i know is: AIS cannons - an all aussie team, best players under 23, no imports, no salary cap, all players get guarenteed degree at either ANU or canberra uni even if they cant theoretically finish degree before 23rd birthday. Stops all the best young players goin 2 NCAA. Reputation of AIS (especially regarding NBA scouts) will mean the best young ausies will stay here; may start in 2010/11.

Reply #216834 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Curtley, why wouldn't you want them to go to the NCAA. They get greater exposure over there, and also they develop faster. If they stayed here, they wouldn't develop as much as in the College system. The NCAA College system has the right coaches and the right money to develop these players, unlike here in Australia. The bottom line is that over there, they can devote more resources to the development of the players.

A guy like Aaron Bruce would not have developed into a starting PG in the NBL if it wasnt for the U.S college system.

Reply #216852 | Report this post

MBTM  
Years ago

great example...haha perhaps he should go back over there for some 'refinement'

Reply #216902 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

SKUX101, not sure I agree with your Bruce example, his best year in college was as a freshman straight out of the Australian system and as his college career continued his numbers declined. I think he's a great talent who would certainly be NBL starting calibre with or without 4 years of college.

Reply #217022 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:56 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754