Anonymous
Years ago

Teams for NewBL

I know its not a highly original post who do you think the teams for the the NewBL will be assuming that its going to have 8 teams. Here's what I would like to see:

Melbourne
Perth
Adelaide
South
NZ
Brisbane or Sydney (whichever can get a team organized)
Gold Coast
Townsville

SCRAP:

Wollongong - bad crowds, struggling financial as it is

Cairns - Already the walking dead

Spirit - Obvious

Also, whats the story with Sydney and Brisbane as far as having an NBL teams goes? Is there any chance of the Bullets or Kings returning or them having new teams for next year or in the future?

Topic #18429 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, there is a chance of anything happening. Or are you asking if something is likely to happen?

Reply #216882 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Adelaide
Perth
Melbourne
Sydney
Country NSW
Brisbane
New Zealand
Townsville

Reply #216883 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

come one isaac thats a bit harsh - a thread like this has been started for at least a couple of days

Reply #216884 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

2 teams in melbourne. NSW cant support teams, specially metro so i would think only one there, the rest look ok.

NZ definatly...the day will come when they win the lot too..then there will be more money from over there

Reply #216886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Isaac, what I meant is: Is there anything likely to happen re Sydney and Brisbane?

Reply #216889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont see why we need to have a nz team in, hows it going to help bball in australia?

Reply #216891 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Take NZ out and I doubt you could guarantee 8 teams going forward. They'd be one of the most reliable in the league IMO.

Anon '889, a Brisbane group are working on a bid. Few seem overly confident about a Sydney bid.

Reply #216892 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

The way i see it is that there are 6 definites...

Adelaide
Perth
Townsville
Melbourne
South
NZ

then the struggling clubs:
Wollongong
Gold Coast
these teams are happy just to finish this season!

THEN cities that Basketball Australia WANT to have teams in:
Brisbane
Sydney

For these 2, firstly, there needs to be someone (actually 4 or more people) willing to invest and buy the license + the $1.5m.

Then BA needs to decide if GC & Brisbane can co-exist and if Wollongong & Sydney can co-exist.

The main thing here is for none of this crap that is going on now will happen next year because that will be the end of the sport in Australia!

Reply #216896 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Why the hell should we bother giving Sydney a team?

What have they done at all for the league?

The league was at it strongest before deciding to stack the Kings and still they never supported them.

Reply #216898 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Another thread on this topic- don't be surprised if many regulars don't respond due to much more detail discussed already.
(maybe use the search function to find them?)
Bris are trying to get something sorted via a couple of disorganised amateurs who are more hindrance than help- nothing has been done for preparation, just tail chasing and wasting peoples' interest.
The league said many times they want a team back in Bris, but ofcourse they're not paying for it, so the city's pinned hopes on numbnuts.

Reply #216904 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sydney don't get "given" a team - it's based on people applying and funding it themselves.

Reply #216913 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

friend from bendigo heard on there radio station about a potential Newbl team playing 5 home games out of Bendigo next year.

he seemed pretty confident in the source.

no team was named that would play the games out of there, but apprently the local government of bendigo is pushing hard for it as well

Reply #216931 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

And, AIS Canberra Cannons.
If I'm reading correctly a post re Uni. newBL.

Reply #216970 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

If you know its know its all been discussed already too many times, why start another topic!? What do you think its going to achieve, the same teams get named every week. Are you looking for some controversial inclusion from someone like a tassie Team???

Reply #216972 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Not sure that Bendigo or AIS have been mentioned previously.

Reply #216973 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

how about a second NZ team and base it on the south Island, re-name the Breakers the Northern Breakers or Auckland Breakers. Theres good support over there and it would help broaden the league

Reply #217003 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NZ NBL are having their own problems. I would stick to just the one team from over there.

Reply #217018 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Isnt Bendigo where the "original" spirit live?

Reply #217085 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:43 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754