skip
Years ago

Boti - How the new league will look

Big double page feature on how Boti feels the new league will look in todays Advertiser.
According to Boti it will be
Adelaide 36ers
Perth Wildcats
New Zealnd Breakers
Sydney (Kings)
Melbourne Tigers
South Dragons
Townsville Crocodiles
and either Brisbane Bullets or Gold Coast Blaze

He also says that the foramal criteria will be officially revealed by the league on January 16th.

He is also very critical of the fact that not only the League HQ but most of the clubs shut down their offices over the Christmas/New year period (right in the middle of the season).

Topic #18577 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Not the worst time for staff to take leave - usually the season is coasting and most corporates are away anyway. During the off-season, offices would be working on new deals, signing players, arranging membership campaigns, new sponsors, etc.

Reply #218900 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

Of those teams, only 3 can satisfy the criteria.

Townsville
Perth
Melbourne

I have heard Adelaide, South & NZ are close.

That leaves 6 teams, the rumour is that only 7 teams will start next season, that leaves out a few teams.

Wollongong
Gold Coast
Brisbane
Sydney

The big question is if the NBL will lower the criteria to fit 1, 2 or all of these teams in?

Reply #218904 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

get over the holiday thing boti,obviously the league hq and club hq's dont have enough staff to stagger there leave.
thats what we are all trying to fix,the professionalism of the whole thing!!

who is making all these major decisions at the moment on club futures??
is it all based on $$

Reply #218906 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

I wonder how much positive input into the proposal boti had?

Reply #218907 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

DJ Rod,

which part of the criteria are the teams you mentioned as missing out unable to meet?

Reply #218910 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haven't seen the actual article, but the NBL has two staff and the one on leave was (AFAIK) asked to take it as he'd accrued too much. Probably best to have him take it now than have to pay it out later after he'd sat through a quietish NYE patch with less to do.

Reply #218911 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I'll be very interested in the criteria that the Kings have to satisfy for entry into the new league.
We've all been swept by the NO KINGS, NO POXTEL, NO NBL drivel coming from Sydney, where HQ happens to reside. Will THAT be a factor?
I'd like to see a solid plan from Sydney to promote the game before I'd open the door. They've a history of burning money, disrespecting their season ticket-holders & taking easy options. The 4 home games in Canberra says it all. They didn't even have the forethought to arrange group transport/accomodation for their faithful. Even more insulting, one of the management team expected their fans to take sickies to make it to the mid-week games there.
Sheesh, supposedly the NBL were at fault for accepting Tim Johnston, when the Kings introduced him as a potential buyer.
Is this the structure that the new league is hoping to building on?
Keep the bastards honest.

Sorry for the rant.

Reply #218912 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Isaac:

"Haven't seen the actual article, but the NBL has two staff and the one on leave was (AFAIK) asked to take it as he'd accrued too much."

Who asked him to take leave, the other dude?

"Probably best to have him take it now than have to pay it out later after he'd sat through a quietish NYE patch with less to do."

Any chance you could get the unsupervised penny pincher to relay on here what he's doing today? ; )

Reply #218913 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

statman: ownership structure & assets

Reply #218914 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

I just read this about the ownership structure:

But Harmison said all applications would be considered.

"It won't be hard and fast rule," he said.

that answers my question above, 'The big question is if the NBL will lower the criteria to fit 1, 2 or all of these teams in?'

Reply #218917 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

I'm not sure what the NBL will come out with, and to be honest like us all will be keen to see it.
Sponsorship, tv and promotion will be a must.
But I will say it til i am blue in the face, until we have positive print media in this state basketball will always be near the bottom of the sports in SA.
the article has been one of the better ones this season written, but still swipes at the front office.
Some of my mates like Boti for that reason, the little digs and stuff...but having said that, they still read garfield too!

Reply #218918 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Who asked him to take leave, the other dude?"

I didn't ask him when he told me. Perhaps they have some other element like HR/accounting who are contracted from BA or another third party.

Reply #218919 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

DJRod,

Ownership shouldnt be an issue as the Blaze are owned by Owen and Ben Tomlinson (father & Son) as well as a couple of other guys having an interest (Dave Claxton being one)
As for assets the Tomlinsons are very successful and would have a fairly large wallet behind them, as does at least one of the other minority owners so assets should not be an issue (provided of course the owners are willing to put more of their personel assets up)
As for structure not sure on that one so I guess it will depend on what the leage will want.

Reply #218920 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i think for now the negative media thing needs to stop,it's kinda like sticking the boots in when your down!
its to no benefit to the future of basketball.

i hope the decisions being made by people who are leaving(ceo etc)the nbl at the moment are being made for the right reasons and that they also havent sold out to early to the devil(fox sports)
the nbl have been selling there on court product short for years mainly due to weak negotiations and lack of forward vision.
(hope thats not to negative)

Reply #218923 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Isaac, you should make a collation of all the "new league" threads made in the past 4 months and send a printout to Boti for submission to Chucky.

Save having to rant on again about same topics again and again.

...Just make sure to delete all the postings of abuse pointed to chuck and we should be laughin.

Reply #218927 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

i dont think the league will look remarksbly different.. for all the good intentions i think the worst thing there doing is keeping the same name... they need to dissassociate themsleves from what has now become a stale product in the eyes of the broader public,. i have a sinking feeling that its destined to fail

Reply #218935 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Who asked him to take leave, the other dude?

Isaac:
"I didn't ask him when he told me. Perhaps they have some other element like HR/accounting who are contracted from BA or another third party."

OK, I'm cool with that. The last thing I wanted to hear was that an over-sexed employee had manipulated the situation so as to have his way with a phantom secretary on penalty rates.

Reply #218937 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

hurley - i would have thought it was a product purpose made for the future,particulary with the financial state of the world!!
i was on g/coast recently,went to b,ball and it cost $105 in total for 6 people..... in sydney these days you cant go out your front door, let alone to a national sport venue,without it costing that per head.

the doom and gloom thing in the $$world will pass,the oportunity is now for nbl!!
it is a business,in business we turn negatives in to positives and prosper!!

Reply #218938 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Here is the feature

http://linky.com.au/x2nb2

Reply #218943 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

DDFan, What are penalty rates? ;)

Reply #218945 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

skip - thanks for that feature,
harsh but fair i guess!!

Reply #218953 | Report this post

DJRod  
Years ago

Boti Wrote, "Did they tire of the blanket Americanisation of the NBL, the overdone music, the contrived revelry? Who will the new fans be?"

The overdone music?????

I resemble that remark!

:)

Reply #218960 | Report this post

Don't feed DDFan  
Years ago

Dana, don't feed DDFan, it only makes him grow stronger!

Reply #218989 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Don't feed DDFan:

"Dana, don't feed DDFan, it only makes him grow stronger!"

Why should anyone listen to you, when you don't even have the balls to stick by a legit alias?

Build a bridge & jump off. : )

Reply #219013 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Geez no wonder the league is going broke if the bloke in the front office thinks "having his way with a phantom secretary on penalty rates" is a more cost effective method than using the internet!!!

Reply #219046 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

My word (2 degrees of separation) is that privately the Gold Coast have committed to being a part of he league next year, whatever that takes. Prepared to play some games in Brisbane (up to four I believe) to keep the league and Brisbane fans on side but NOT prepared to share a team with Brisbane.

That makes 8.

Reply #219118 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:09 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754