Isaac
Years ago

Ellis fined, Vale and Crosswhite warned

The National Basketball League (NBL) Tribunal has given Rosell Ellis of the Townsville Crocodiles a $750 fine after he pleaded guilty to a charge of Wrestling, while Taipans players Dwayne Vale and Ian Crosswhite were both warned and Crosswhite also received an official reprimand for their respective charges.

Crosswhite was charged with 'Disputing Decisions/Contrary Conduct' for an alleged incident in the first quarter of the Townsville-Cairns game at the Townsville Entertainment Centre on Saturday that resulted in his ejection from the match.

Vale and Ellis were each cited on a charge of 'Fighting/Punching/Wrestling' for an unrelated incident in the third period of the same match, which also saw both ejected from the game.
On the Ellis decision:
The penalty invoked is a fine of $750. This fine is payable at the offices of the NBL by no later than 5.00 pm AEDT on Friday 13 February 2009.
Just in time for Harmison to take McPeake out for a lovely Valentine's Day dinner, perhaps? ;)

Topic #18982 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Strange result IMO.
If you three a ball at the Umpire in AFL you would be suspended for 3 weeks.

Reply #224749 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

If Ellis is guilty of wrestling who did he wrestle? I was sure you could not wrestle by yourself. Should be two people fined.

Reply #224750 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

That is fucking disgraceful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crosswhite threw the ball at the ref and hit him! He also made a 'cut throat' gesture towards the official which, in my opinion, deserves a LENGTHY BAN!!!

One of the findings states that Crosswhite has already missed almost a whole game so that is enough! WTF is that?

They have freaken LOST IT!

Did they feel bad because they are currently on 45% wage? Did they feel sorry for Crossy because of a quote from Dennis Keeffe in the paper today? Did they take Rosell's other incident at the niteclub into account?

OR are they just getting the Crocs back about another issue????????

No fine, no suspension???

The findings even stated that Vale's elbow was the instigator of the incident - yet he got off!

THIS IS WHY THE NBL IS A LAUGHING STOCK AT THE MOMENT!

Reply #224753 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Rod, if they used the replay to solely base their decision on then i can see how he gets off.

It looks like he made a swipe attempt at the ball as it came through the net which then pushed the ball toward the ref hitting their leg.

It is not like he picked a ball up of the floor and baseball passed it at someone's head.

The cut throat thing should have been a bigger issue as that is worthy of suspension in my book.

Ro gets the same deal as Cat did a few years ago as he was obviously wrestling himself.

At the end of the day no one will miss any games. Has there been clarification as to why Crosswhite did not play against Sydney?

Reply #224754 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

birth of his baby - which was what I alluded to above (quote by Dennis Keeffe)

Reply #224755 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Isaac where abouts do you think Chuck and McPeake will have dinner, and who will pay- will they split the billl perhaps? :-p

Reply #224757 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rod, I was going to make the same point about them openly admitting that Vale initiated that fight. Maybe they felt that any foul he got at the time (ejection?) covered that?

Reply #224758 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Whatever Vale got, Ellis should have been issued!!!

The charges were the same, Vale started it, by the Tribunal's findings and Ellis retaliated:

QUOTE: It appears beyond doubt that it was as a result of Vale elbowing Ellis that triggered the unacceptable response from Ellis which is dealt with separately.

WHY?

If the charge was punching/fighting/wrestling... they just admitted that Vale elbowed Ellis - yet no fine or suspension???

WTF?

Reply #224761 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Crosswaite is very lucky IMO. I actually thought the 1st tech for throwing the ball at the ref was bull, in the replay it didn't look like much, and there was certaintly no intent to hurt the ref.

But the way Crossie carried on after that was ridiculous, and I wouldn't have been surprised if that had led to a suspension. But hey, the NBL admin is obviously still weak as piss.

Interesting to see Ellis fined for fighting, wrestling and punching himself! Didn't a 36er get fined a few years back for wrestling with himself? Cattalini maybe?

Reply #224776 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

feel that strong arm of the law, as it brushed past you. just a horrible decision with regards to crosswaite.

Reply #224777 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

What are they going to do? Suspend him for 5 games? League ain't around after this year. Whole new one so no suspensions would or should be carried over. Fine is all they should get at this point so nbl can pay off some debt or something

Reply #224803 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HAHA, well, it's $750 so unless they load up on expensive wine or McPeake orders four mains, that's some decent food.

If Harmi treated Seamus in Melbourne, perhaps Pearl? I'd bet the menu has changed, but when I visited a few years back, they did a nice scallop entree.

Otherwise, I think they might've put it towards part-payment for a romantic spell at Tetsuya's closer to Chuck's place. That would need a booking months in advance, but they could've comfortably made that knowing that Crosswhite was bound to do something stupid between then and Feb 14. Only issue turned out to be Crosswhite's kid and them finding a way to fine Ellis instead.

Reply #224807 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:11 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754