Isaac
Years ago

Maher speaks about tomorrow's final* home game

(*Well, final guaranteed regular season game, playing for the 36ers, but that sort of thing doesn't fit in a headline. Obviously if the team win through a road elimination, they could get a home final as part of a series.)

Sorry EC, I know you were hopeful that Maher might still play on, but if there was still any hope, surely he's snuffed it today with Boti's article.

"There's no chance," he said, referring to rethinking retirement. "None.

"This year I've noticed I can't do some things I used to, I feel a little slower and not as athletic.
He remains "reasonably happy" with his last season but will not miss the stretching, "de-taping" for 20 minutes or the post-game ice-bath, standing for three minutes in a wheelie-bin full of ice and water.

"The day-to-day basics just to get through the smallest of training sessions  taping your feet, taping your ankles, taping your calves  is such a long process it gets tiresome," Maher said. "Mix that with the fact I feel I'm slowing down and no, there's no chance I'll continue."
Boti's article isn't just about Maher denying another season and hating on taping so make sure you read it and then be there tomorrow night for the game. It'd be great to see a legit sell-out for this one.

Full article: One more chance to roar for Maher

Topic #18988 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

nice little stab at the club as well for not really pushing the game that well, or for not getting together a gift or something of note for him.

Reply #224822 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Brett was in fiveaa studio last night.
They mentioned that the club is holding a press conference today at 12 , regarding his retirement.
( after this mornings training , starting at 9.30
which Brett thought would be open to public)
I think it was skip that said the club wanted to keep a few things secret from Brett, as to what they are doing for him.

Reply #224841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, best to keep it quiet that they're probably doing nothing.

Reply #224844 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I suppose they weren't sure how many home finals
Maybe a bit hard plan what best to do ?

Reply #224845 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I agree that it would be good to see a sell out crowd on hand to witness the last home game of the greatest player in our club's history. I was 12 years old when last a 36ers team started a season without Brett Maher and to be honest I cannot yet imagine what it will be like watching this team without him. He has exuded a personal and professional class for the past 18 seasons at a level which is rarely reached in any professional sport. He has been there through the highs and lows of Adelaide's history, and unlike other number retirements (McKay, Ninnis, Ali), when we get around to raising Brett Maher's number 5 into the stadium rafters it should stay there for good. As much as I loved Mark Davis, Maher is in a league all by himself, and if the club saw fit to do that bust-thing for Davis by the entrance to the stadium then nothing short of a Colossus of Rhodes style monument for Maher would be appropriate.

He has had his injury problems in the past five years, due in part to having played excessive minutes for a number of seasons, but his on court performance has never deteriorated to the point where he was a detriment to the team. He has ALWAYS been a positive, despite the odd shocker here and there, he is STILL one of our most valuable players. He STILL hits that pull up three point shot in transition, he STILL makes the clutch free throw.

So let's make sure we send him off with an appropriate performance. And so help me god if a referee does something like Crouch did in Davis' final game.

Reply #224869 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

is maher considering playing ABA at all? just wondering.

Reply #224894 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Camel31 - um, I havnt said anything about keeping stuff quiet.

Reply #224932 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw , I thought I read somewhere the club may have wanted to do something for him as a surprise.

( as I say , I've gotta headfull of ideas )

Reply #224938 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Expect a golf bag full of clubs as a starter.

Reply #224950 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

He got a set of clubs for game 500 I think.

Reply #224953 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The club will give out 5,000 Brett Maher face masks

Reply #224956 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

And when it was only 5 days ago that the coach asked him to reconsider and play next season , the club probably couldn't plan too far ahead.

Reply #224974 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

As a non SA'er I've always respected Maher's contribution to the game from afar.
I'm super excited about this game- I'm sure there'll be a super charged vibe from start to finish and I just can't wait for this game.

Reply #224975 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I am still stressing over Boti's article today. I still cling to the hope that the club has not publicised any sort of celebration for his retirement because it is still not definite. Brett says he is definitely calling it quits but Ninnis still pesters him to play on. I look at it as a battle that has not been won yet. Brett says he is getting slower, not as athletic and can't do some of the things he used to do. The truth of the matter is that even in his scaled down role in the team this season, he has still been of great value. Everyone knows he is getting older and don't expect the sort of performances of previous years but it doesn't mean he has outlived his usefulness. He still has much to offer and the fans and the club want it. If he had struggled consistently with injury this season, then I wouldn't even question his retirement.

Reply #224980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #224985 | Report this post

trillion club  
Years ago

I'm sure the Sixers will honour Brett with something special.

Anyways, let's just hope the Sixers get a win and Mahersy plays a blinder.

Brett will make the court all his, of that I have no doubt...

Reply #225003 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Brett has got what he wants out of playing the sport, earned enough to have a comfortable lifestyle and is sick of the hassles and aches, then let him go do what he wants to do.

Reply #225139 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He's keen on working with kids.
Not keen on coaching.
Has got an invention of some kind , in the pipeline.

( my thoughts only - maybe some media.
I could be wrong, but when he was talking about that dunk , I got the hint he could play maybe a bit of ABA at some stage later or something.)

Reply #225147 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:21 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754