observer
Years ago

North's Poor Results at Mt Barker Tournament

North was disappointing on the weekend - wouldn't it be nice if Bronson Kies actually got some of the offensive plays - or wouldn't it be great if Loveday realised his 'star' player has two brains - one is lost and the other is out finding it!

Topic #1903 | Report this topic

Panther  
Years ago

What were some of the other results???

Reply #21497 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

star player meaning "balfours" Mckay?

Reply #21498 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I think he's actually talking about Bronson, Lloyd.

Reply #21502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think North were missing most of there starting five.

Reply #21527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North had hawkes, hambour, kent, zorich and hastings missing.
thought mckay kies brothers,frangers and easi all played well for the weekend
coach loveday definately looking to have a team to go all the way this year

Reply #21536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you mean poor results? They beat Eastern (who won the tournament) and lost to Sturt and West by only a basket all without four of their starters!

Reply #21549 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Kent was busy giving superbowl updates, as he is an american correspondent!

Reply #21552 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

coach loveday might want to learn to coach before he has a team that goes all the way this year...

Reply #21553 | Report this post

red rocket  
Years ago

good one observer, how many ABL and state teams have you coached in your lifetime. North have one of the deepest squads in the ABl thanks to the effort Loveday put into the junior boys program over the years at North Adelaide.
These North young kids have won more State Champs and Nationals medals than youve had hot dinners, observer so do yourself a favour and comment on something you might have a clue about.

Reply #21574 | Report this post

rodman  
Years ago

Nice come back on that one Red .... for North it will be a Hard Season but this year might be the Year the Men Rockets show something special

Reply #21579 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

No one is disagreeing that loveday might have put in over the years at north (though by the way red rocket speaks you would think he was the only north junior coach). Maybe he should stay in juniors?

Reply #21581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

geez they would want too all under 15k of course

Reply #21582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone actually know who won round-robin games etc?? scores please?

Reply #21584 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Without 4 of their starters? You might want to ring Hawkes and Mackay and let them know which one of them isn't starting, considering they both played in the loss vs West.

I know who won the games but not the scores:

(Men's results)

West beat Sturt
North beat Eastern
Sturt beat North
Eastern beat West
Eastern beat Sturt
West beat North

Eastern beat West in the Final

Reply #21588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McKay and Hawkes will take a while into the season to hit their straps alah Melbourne Tigers style.

Reply #21598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are you on deak - Hawkes did not play against West

Reply #21600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"coach loveday might want to learn to coach before he has a team that goes all the way this year..." -Observer.

i think you would have to know how to coach to win ABL Coach of the Year.

He did it bout 2 years ago.

Reply #21601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ala Melbourne ie as in their age group

Reply #21602 | Report this post

Fact  
Years ago

Fact is no-one had their full team so the carnival gave little indication of main season results (as do all pre-season carnivals even when full teams are playing).

Reply #21603 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Sorry, I was told that Hawkes played on the Sunday.

I will pass your angry response on to my source and cuss him out for you.

Reply #21625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The year that Loveday won coach of the year the other Phil Symthe won it for west womens - neither of the teams got into the grand final - though both teams should have won the season... Yeah thats what I call coach of the year!!
Lets watch the coach of the year ruin Norths chance at going all the way this year... yet again...

Reply #21633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like an X-player to me.

Reply #21634 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

ex player or not they seem close to the mark

Reply #21636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And speaking of ex-players why don't Ben Todd, Adam Todd, justin wilkey, Brad Sullivan, Tim Brenton (who apparently had a two year plan), and Ned Kelly play for north anymore? Could it have something to do with them refusing to play under Loveday?

Reply #21638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched some of the games on the weekend and thought mckay was looking good didnt have any problems fitness wise gave north a lot of good minutes

Reply #21639 | Report this post

FARVIEWER  
Years ago

OMG!! Another bash'em down thread. Seems the tall poppy syndrome festers like pus in SA basketball. Last week Forestville, now North; who's next on the list??

:(

Correct thread. Sorry. :P

Reply #21643 | Report this post

ablfreak  
Years ago

dont forget rob eley,

Reply #21644 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

F&*#&ck!

Anon (21638). Every club has this happen. Not every player is going to want to play for a coach and some players will just quit and need an excuse so they blame the coach. Not having a go at the guys you mention because whether their reasons were genuine or not is besides the point.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the North coach, dont results count for something???

Farviewer I like your post!

Reply #21663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hasnt Eley gone to Norwood?

Reply #21669 | Report this post

Factual  
Years ago

Observer has a right to an opinion as do all others. Fact is that Bronson DID look lost on the plays and needs to get it together during games as a good game here and there does not cut it anymore. Yes Hawkes, Hambour, Zorich, Kent and bencher Hastings were missing, but there is still a lot of depth in the team and a good coach would know hot to extract it. Beating Eastern who won it counts for nothing if you don't even make the final. Pre-season or not, its time this coach took it serious and utilised the skills of the players he has available on the day. What he did 2 years ago does not matter, its this season that we're talking about now, and the players can't play well if they're sitting on the bench. Any observer could see some of the combinations the coach ran were really bad, and were left on way past the time it took to trial a group. Nice to see more ball passing in the team since the Grove twins have gone. Let's hope the coach can be more positive, and then players will follow the lead producing excellent results.

Reply #22114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right on Factual!
North has great depth but we all know Loveday will only skim the water with his favourites for the season - let's hope for the Rockets sake that they are able too keep some of that depth and not loose their bench warmers to other clubs next season.

Also Ironic that Loveday apparently put so much time into the north junior program when he has lost all (anon post) those juniors as senior men... But we don't mind if north breed them up and do all the hardwork cause its us as other clubs that really benefit from Loveday's breeding!!!

Reply #22243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which North Juniors has he lost to other clubs?

Eley spent most of his juniors at Norwood.

Reply #22245 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

eley finished his junior years at north... sully, Wilkey, Luke Nupunda,Adam Sweet,Todd Strudwick just a name a couple of norths talent that have left due to Loveday....

Reply #22246 | Report this post

Bumble Bee  
Years ago

Gary Bermingham

Reply #22248 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

would you like anymore anon 15/02?

Reply #22249 | Report this post

very surprised  
Years ago

"Seems the tall poppy syndrome festers like pus in SA basketball"

Sorry farviewer - I didnt realise Loveday was a tall poppy.... more an obnoxious weed really....

Reply #22250 | Report this post

FARVIEWER  
Years ago

Was referring to the post in general which imho was just another Bash a club down theme instead of building the game and clubs UP (in the face of so much negativity about BASA)! I trust when personal attacks occur, people stand face to face and make them as well and not just hide here under pseuydomns!

Reply #22254 | Report this post

very surprised  
Years ago

But no one has bashed north as a team - they did have a poor performance at the tournament - ask the players... and isn't farviewer a pseuydomn? Why dont you put your name to everything rather than hide - whether the comments are personal attacks or not...

Reply #22258 | Report this post

Bill Lumberg  
Years ago

With a club that produces so many good juniors, players may leave for more court time with another program. Not having a go at sturt but they have had some good junior guards leave for possibly the same reason. Do the player who get the court time hate Loveday? Does a coach have to be loved to get the job done? People who say he can't coach are being a bit unfair. I rember a player told me Shaun Ryan couldn't coach. My response was to tell him that demonstrated how little you know about coaching.

Reply #22259 | Report this post

Michael Bolton  
Years ago

Word!

Reply #22261 | Report this post

Michael Bolton  
Years ago

Shaun Ryan couldnt coach by the way...

Reply #22262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"sully, Wilkey, Luke Nupunda,Adam Sweet,Todd Strudwick just a name a couple of norths talent that have left due to Loveday.... "

I think id rather the talent that he has kept around: Kies, Burdon, Hambour, Franchesinis, Zorich, the list goes on and on.

Reply #22265 | Report this post

Bumble Bee  
Years ago

Dont forget Chris Clausen

Reply #22266 | Report this post

factual  
Years ago

Or another player kept around, albeit on the bench more than the court, what about Quigley? I heard he is the longest continuous serving player at North, any recognition for that? And hasn't he also been heavily involved with coaching junior players, some of which are now taking a number beside him in the ABL team? Who was coaching these star junior players when Loveday had a stint elsewhere?We're not bagging Loveday, just asking him to stop making excuses for losses that he could control if he used the bench better.

Reply #22268 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Are you a North man Factual?

Reply #22271 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

didnt you read the last sentence Doc, he's a bench player 4 them!

Reply #22273 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

What? There are other coaches at north?? I thought the way red rocket spoke that Loveday was the sole reason that north produced any good junior players... In fact I dont think Loveday had much to do with north's junior success, i think you will find that he was really just a puppet for simon bennett - another coach who has not had the recognition he deserves.

Reply #22274 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

"I think id rather the talent that he has kept around: Kies, Burdon, Hambour, Franchesinis, Zorich, the list goes on and on."

Has Loveday kept these players there? Isn't Zorich the presidents son? And I know two of those names have considered leaving as our club has approached them and kies has the two brains remember so he wouldnt know what he was doing.

And lloyd how does that sentence make him a bench player anyone can see that he needs to use the bench - our club uses that fact to an advantage when we play north ABA

Reply #22276 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Sorry Lloyd, I took "we're" as meaning someone concerned with the coaching at North. Don't know if Factual is actually a member of ABL team.

Reply #22277 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

geez observer, i was playing dude..

Reply #22279 | Report this post

saw  
Years ago

Observer,

But they didn't leave. Is that because of the coach or in spite of him. Or is it because they want success so decided it was better to stay put than move on. Or was it they spoke to you and realised they would have been taking a big backward step in their basketball lives.

Oh, by the way what size squad do you want him to have to keep all the players you mentioned. Seems to me that generating more good players than you can reasonably keep is not a bad position to be in.

Perhaps you were one that never made it to be quoted by others as a person leaving the club!

Reply #22306 | Report this post

factual  
Years ago

When I wrote "we're" I was actually referring to all of us that bother to use this page to make any comment. I don't mean to bag anyone, just asking for a little respect for the players that put in each week for North. Also agree with Observer about Bennett, but basically want you all to realise Loveday is not the be all of coaching, either for juniors or the ABL team, there are plenty of hard workers giving their time to support North in general. So as a supporter of the club, (take note "thedoctor", but yes I am a retired player)we all deserve to see an decent game when we attend.

Reply #22308 | Report this post

BF  
Years ago

It's a good point that Loveday & Smyth won coach of the year in the same year, as they both have about the same skill level as a coach. It's all well and good to say they took them to the grand final, but if you look at the teams North had they should have won a few of them by now. It's really in spite of the coaches that they have done so well.

The Rockets have had one of the best reserves teams over the last 5 years, consistently making the grand final. Then when it comes to mens, these guys all sit on the bench, whilst the reserves players from the other teams go and out get significant court time and play well. There's no point having a bench if you are just going to play your starters for 35-40+ minutes a game, irrespective of whether they are playing well or not.

The other problem is Loveday doesn't know how to put a team on the floor. It's all well and good to have a talented bunch of guys, but you need to put 5 guys on the floor who can play well at both ends. There's no point having 5 scorers on the court who all want their shots each game but won't do any of the little things or play defence.

If North didn't lose so many of their good players, particularly guys who played well as a team, they would have won a few more titles by now. It's not just the guys they've lost either, but also the players who would have come across if other people hadn't left.

Reply #22443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't have said it beter BF!!!

Reply #22483 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

Whoever thinks that Scott Loveday and Shaun Ryan cannot coach, must be on some high tech drugs. They are/were 2 of the most strategic guys in the game, always doing homework to improve the squad for the next week. Results show they are/were both great coaches. Scott has lost a few clutch games lately, but hey... don't we all (if you have ever been involved in decent basketball)?
And as for losing junior players to senior clubs. 3/4s of the people mentioned did not leave due to Scott. So people should get he facts before they comment. And if other clubs want to take these players from North, go right ahead. But it looks bad on the other clubs behalf if you consistantly take players from other clubs, and not your own.
That's my 2 cents to this topic which has had a lot of rubbish written through it.

Reply #22492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im not sure who you have been speaking to graeme but i know for a fact that all of those boys left due to loveday - perhaps they were not telling u the truth as you are obviously one of his fans...

Reply #22529 | Report this post

BF  
Years ago

A great coach isn't based purely on their results- it's based on whether they can get the most from what they have got. North should have won some titles by now with the talent they have had/got, but they haven't done that. The coach has to take some responsibility for that.
There's no denying that Loveday knows x's & O's and that he puts in the work scouting wise, but there's no point having all the tactical skill in the world if you can translate it & put it into effect on the floor. Likewise there's no point having a great bench if you don't use it.
As for the players who have left, maybe you should have a chat to them to find out exactly why they did leave.

Reply #22531 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:43 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754