Anonymous
Years ago

Chris Paul vs Other Point Guards

An interesting article about the possibility that paul gets credited assists that other players don't for similiar plays, bit of a lengthly read but worth it i think

http://linky.com.au/4w8z6

Topic #19044 | Report this topic

ESP  
Years ago

Great post Anon..... the record keeping of his assists serious dilutes the greatness of the old school players like Magic, Stockton and Isiah who had to actually earn every one.

I was interested to see that allegedly 25% of his assists over the 5 game period studied were incorrectly credited.... does not surprise me.

Actual NBA definition of an Assist:
"An assist is a pass that directly leads to a basket. This can be a pass to the low post that leads to a direct score, a long pass for a layup, a fast break pass to a teammate for a layup, and/or a pass that results in an open perimeter shot for a teammate. In basketball, an assist is awarded only if, in the judgement of the statistician, the last player's pass contributed directly to a made basket. An assist can be awarded for a basket scored after the ball has been dribbled if the player's pass led to the field goal being made."

Reply #225517 | Report this post

In those four games, there were a total of 46 plays that I charted in which Paul was credited with assists but by the correct interpretation of scorekeeping guidelines he should only have been credited with 34 assists.

----

Incorrect; ... West caught the ball, dribbled twice and then made a tough turnaround, fadeaway jumper.

Reply #225542 | Report this post

Rodney carney  
Years ago

ESP, it soulds like if the assist is up to the discretion of teh statistician according to your definition then it is impossible to know what the statistician is thinking and thus isnt really possible to discredit any of Pauls assists. Am I right?

Reply #225560 | Report this post

I think that statisticians are told who to give extra assists for, i.e Nash, paul, high stat getters anyway, just for marketing purposes.

i.e 'Look at Chris paul he got 20 assists! What a league the NBA is!'

Reply #225563 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

yeah quite often I see CP3's stats and buzz out at how many assists he has, this def explains it. Nice post.

Reply #225569 | Report this post

Rodney carney  
Years ago

Ur probably right ELG.. the league needs Chris paul to fill that stats sheet, just like the league needed gasol to go to LA for pennies and finally just like the league needed an LA - Boston match up last year..again.. what a league

Reply #225701 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754