A
Years ago

36ers 09/10 season

With the last game of the season next Thursday for the 36ers, lets have a look into the possible team for next season(if in the comp)-

Maher-retired
Schenscher-on his way to Europe, will not be a 36er in 09/10
Davidson-getting on, will be 35 or 36
Bruce-rumour on wanting out?

What are peoples thoughts? is it looking good or not?

Topic #19070 | Report this topic

Coady  
Years ago

HHmm i was under the impression that luke wasnt interested in going to Europe, Keep Davo as he is playing well and i think for what he does hes worth keeping for another season or 2....

But yes curtainatly opens the door for some new players... keeping in mind that Balls will natuaralise next season so when he does we can get another import so i dont think they will go to crazy on maher or bruce replacement!!! Although i dont think bruce can go cause he is on 3 year contact i thought

Reply #225822 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Still too early to call, but I think you could add Coops to the list of those moving on. Would see Polda on shaking ground as well. Rhino also unlikely to don the tri-colours

Reply #225823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard that only one team so far has made a complying bid to field a team in the new league, all the others have been non complying bids.

Unless BA back down on their enty requirements, the last game at the Dome may have been more significant than originally thought.

Reply #225828 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kersten has a two-year deal so they would need to pay him out or keep him.

Luke will be their first hope to retain. Coops situation will depend on what's around.

Reply #225830 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

It did go thru my head quite a few times on Saturday night that it might not be just Mahers last game at the Dome.

Schenscher has to be the number 1 priority. He is someone that a team can be built around for the next 10 years. He has performed well above everyone expectaions this season and shown he can not only be the face of the 36ers, but even the face of the League for many years to come.

Davidson I believe would like to go round again. But with the unknown of the new season, probably hasnt been given any offer yet.

Whether Cooper remains will most likely Hinge on whether Schensh is retained.

Reply #225835 | Report this post

Mrs SW  
Years ago

Ok....here are a couple of suggestions. What about
Matt Knight
Damian Martin
James Harvey
Joe Ingles (hope I spelt that right)
Dusty???
Cam Tragagh
Kazzough
Oscar
Now I dont know if any of these boys are out of contract but just looking for comments on how they might suit our team.

Reply #225838 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Wonder whether we should retire no.6 , so that is only available for fans.
( like the crows have just retired no.19 , for that reason)

Reply #225840 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could get Ingles, but likely to end up in the same position as when Newley came here. Davidson will be a decision for Ninnis to make if Brad wants to play another year or so. Not a bad option off the bench and Kersten is not ready to back-up in solid minutes. May all depend on Bruce?

Matt Knight would be looked at. Could get Damian Martin in place of Davidson but then you lose that scoring ability of Brad's. Harvey would be very unlikely to be a target. No room for Dusty if Ballinger and Holmes are there. Tragardh would be a lower option if Luke didn't stay, and behind guys like Knight and Burston on a priority list. Not sure about Khazzouh. Oscar is contracted in NZ for a while yet.

Reply #225844 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

We need some muscle. Russel Hinder.

If you met Hinder down a dark alley you would be worried.

Reply #225849 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

This needs to be Coopers last season!! We can't have a player on the court that is an offensive liability! Apparently he is a good defensive player but I don't see anyone shaking in their boots when he is guarding them. Some people have defended him saying he is a good help defender but we need good solider all round defenders that actually have some type of offence as well! His game has not improved and he does not deserve to be in the NBL next season.

The Sixers coaching staff should have paid out Cooper during the year and picked up Vanderjaqt instead!

Players that will be out of contract next season that are better then him:

Petrie
Tragardh
Crosswhite
Matt Smith (Even if he is a massive bozo)
Vanderjaqt
Rampton
Knight

Good luck in the future Cooper and hopefully you learn to make a layup!

Reply #225851 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I happen to like watching Dodman and Khazzouh play.

Reply #225852 | Report this post

gravity man  
Years ago

IT will again be a new lineup for 09/10 season.

This YEARS team

Luke.................Sixers 1st Priority
ballinger ...........Naturlised
Grizzard.........hasnt shown form from Singapore days
Maher........retiring
Davidson.....injury prone might retire
Bruce......be here next season
Holmes....good showing off bench.
Cooper.....might be shipped out
Wintana....might stay one more season
Kersten....not ready for league yet
Hoban.....one more season with more minutes
Burdon...maher/davidson retire, give him 20 mins

We be shopping for a small forward and a point guard and possibly a centre if luke not return .

I like Matt Knight and also look at who will be free agents etc ,Scott needs go to states and look for two quality imports and settle the team,this year we had 3 and if we had hodge would have finished higher than 6th.

I predict 5 new faces,like luke to stay hes had a good season and will poll well in MVP Voting,then we wont have any one over 30 in Sixers 09/10 season

Reply #225855 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Jack Toft, I'm gonna pretend you didn't say that ;)

KingJames, way harsh. That list is not only of better players (bar Smith) but also of players who will no-doubt have higher points ratings. I can't see the reason to get a guy like Tragardh or Knight if we still have Balls and Schensch (and hopefully we do). Cooper is a perfect low points-rating player for the role of backing up Luke for 10mins a game.

Hopefully, next years team will look something like this:

C - Schenscher(10) / Cooper(3-6)
PF - Ballinger(10) / Holmes(8)
SF - Import(8-10) / Holmes(8)
SG - Import(8-10) / Ng(6-7) / Hill(2-6)
PG - Bruce(3) / Ng(6-7) / Davidson(5-7)

DPs - no change.

That team could be anywhere from 63 to 77 points (cap is 68). Bloody hell I hate this points system.

Chase Knight, Khazzouh or Tragardh if we lose Schensch. Import SF could be Grizzard if he comes good. Not sure what Ninja's plans are but I'd love to see him back. Davidson still has some ball in him, hopefully he gets a low rating. Hill stays (is he contracted? I hope so, otherwise he will go from 2pts to 5 or 6). Coop stays unless we miraculously snare AJ Ogilvy as a 3pter :P. I wouldn't mind snatching Steve Weigh from Perth if we can't get Ninja, not sure how happy he'd be with his current minutes in Perth.

Where does everyone think Cat and Saville will head next year?

Of course there's no guarantee that the points system will stay as is so everything I just wrote ^ was probably pointless.

Reply #225874 | Report this post

ballinger fan  
Years ago

filling the centre position has got to be your first priority, so they need to secure if possible Luke first. If he goes to Europe or whereever, then they need to get a Plan B.

then i would like to know who is actually signed for the 36ers next season, and whether those contracts still hold in the new league next year. one moment people are saying all contracts hold, others suggest all contracts are void....

Reply #225877 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Oh X,
OK perhaps not Hidner specifically, but someone who has a bit of biffo in them. Someone who you just look at and know he's a bit unpredictable if he hasn't taken his medication for the day. Someone who used to pull the wings off flies and call them "walks". Someone who pokes inch ant hills to see what they do.

ballinger fan,
Spot on. It all starts at the centre. Secure Luke and we'll be right.

Reply #225880 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

X I took the points cap into consideration when choosing those other players for Cooper. ALL are rated lower then him besides one whom is even on ratings with him. The results are below:

Cooper = 7

Petrie = 0? Would definitely be less then a 7
Tragardh = 4
Crosswhite = 3
Matt Smith = 1
Vanderjaqt = 5
Rampton = 7
Knight = 0? Would probably be rated a 7

I can't believe you still want to keep Cooper. His 2ppg @ 35% in 13 minutes is good enough for you?

I would go with either Petrie or Tragardh. Both are going to continue to improve and both always provide energy.

Reply #225888 | Report this post

Boxing Out  
Years ago

Petrie anyday

Reply #225891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #225892 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

X, Cat has stated that he wants to end his career with Perth next season. Not sure about Saville though, Maybe a return to sydney?

Reply #225895 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cooper probably wouldn't stay as a 7 next year. Crosswhite, Tragardh and Knight will go up in points, all to around 7-9 perhaps.

The case for Cooper is that he's smart, accepts a role within a team and doesn't disrupt chemistry. Whether that's enough to keep him in the team remains to be seen.

Reply #225896 | Report this post

ballinger fan  
Years ago

Cooper was a fantastic linchpin of Phil's match up zone defence, but with Sotty's dedicated man to man, you need post defenders who can muscle one on one with the best of them.

Motram might be coming down in points if he has missed a season perhaps and would suit Scottys style more and has Adelaide connections.

Reply #225897 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I have always been a fan of Motts. I there is space bring him back

Reply #225909 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Yeah, what Isaac said.

Cooper was a 7 this year, but he could be as low as a 4 next year, plus he gets a 1pt reduction. Tragardh should be an 8-9, Petrie 7-8, Crosswhite 8-9, Smith's not as good as Coop anyway, Vandy 6-7, Rampton 5-6 and Matty Knight could almost be a 10.

If we lose Schensch then I'm all for getting a guy like Knight over here but I can't see the point of getting him as a replacement for Cooper if we still have the twin gingers and Holmes.

Reply #225917 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Points cap is definately staying- that is a guarantee, and technically everyone is a free agent at the end of the season.
(for some that is technically now)

As a side note, where do you guys think Bradshaw would fit best?

Reply #225938 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Back home in NZ:

Bradshaw
Rickert
Forman
Penney
Bruton

There's a championship!

Nah it's hard to say where certain players would fit best without knowing who else each team would have on their roster but with Ronaldson on the way out Bradshaw would be a massive inclusion.

Reply #225950 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Good point.
The only thing is there's a bit of bad blood between the Breakers and Bradshaw... would be a pretty sweet starting 5 though!

Reply #225968 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Agreed, that's a championship team X!

Reply #225970 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Defiantely won't fit under the $1.2mil roster for next season though!

Reply #225973 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Everyone I believe right that Schens. our first priority not onlt because he is importantbut there is some good Aust. big plyrs out there that will be snapped up quickly. Dont want to be using 1 of our imports on a centre as qlty that want to come Aust. not there. I would have liked Grixxard to worked out with the best poss. import scoring guard could pick up. If could keep Grizzard cheaply might still do a job and poss find confidence. No point in keeping Cooper get a young one at lowest poss points and help them develope. What I have seen disagree I already think Matt Smith is a better plyr than Coops.
He has been good for us . Darren Ng would be good value to team but unsure of points need . Would not think cost big $ as would mix with being a Doctor.
No value in keeping Winatiano either lot more guards out there with a lot more to offer.IfKerston has a contract surely that means if cant get into a required fitness level he breaks the contract.
Certainly needs some physical prescence around ring as key plyrs Schens and Adam are not strong in that area against top teams. Whilst Bruce and Hill are turnover frustrating and not totally team savvy yet will be worth holding on to along with Holmes.
Anyway thats my thoughts and we have to have a team otherwise forget the league

Reply #225978 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Wouldn't fit under it now :-)

Reply #225983 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Adrien Sturt would popular over here.

Reply #226134 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The points cap cannot possibly remain at the same level next season if there are only 8 teams. What are you going to do, drive away the quality players and recruit the lesser quality players so you can fit them all under the cap? With only 8 teams in the league, I am sure everyone expects a much higher quality league. This can only be achieved with an increase in points cap.

Reply #226139 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

IMO they should increase the maximum points for a player to 100 so we can get more accurate ratings.

To have Adam Ballinger rated the same as Nick Horvath (10)is laughable! Ballinger should be a 98 and Horvath 82. - Sort of like NBA Live ratings :D

Reply #226146 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

There is no change in the points cap- it is in the new Rules & Regulations released a few weeks back.
I have not seen it, but I was provided with a short summary from my Brisbane ninja friend who is on the pulse- she has every document the NBL has released to clubs and interested parties since the review.

Reply #226155 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Forgot to add EC, why do you (and others) keep assuming there will only be 8 teams?
It has been said several times, mostly from Harmison and Derwin themselves that they did not create that rumour- that was the Worthington fag and his sugar daddy Goorj to maintain their best interests.

They have said quite openly they will take as many teams as what can afford to be there and not keel over- it could be 9, 10, 11, etc. (you get the idea)
Please get the number 8 out of your heads- it's misleading.

Reply #226156 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Too many more than 8 might be optimistic at this stage though.

Reply #226165 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Has Adelaide submitted their application as yet?

Reply #226169 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

True Isaac, but then for that matter with the economic crisis hankering over us and the financial requirements being protested by most, who is to say that there won't be 3 teams in the new League? :p

Reply #226203 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skip, don't think they would have.

Reply #226213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I know none of the clubs have yet. As a little information only was given to the clubs last Friday I would think they're still waiting for more details or building applications based on the information they got.

I do believe that the 36ers will make a bid not sure if it (or any) will be complying though.

Reply #226227 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Exactly anon... now get yourself a screen name so you can build a profile and not get lumped with all other 'anons'!

Reply #226239 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Adelaide will submit their application , next week.
(That was Mal on ch7 news)
If Adelaide lose in NZ, it won't be their last game,
he said. They'll be playing in the new season.

Reply #226242 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Would love to see it but Mal aint got a crystal ball.

Reply #226243 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Previously he'd mentioned that a bid would go in.
'But whether it complies, I'm not sure"

Reply #226251 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

HAHA, 3 teams and there won't be an NBL next season. The 8 teams did not come from a rumor but a reasonable expectation of which teams will be in it and which ones wont, i.e. Perth, Adel, Melb, Sth Melb, NZ, GC, Townsville, strong suggestion of new Bris & possibly new Syd.

Reply #226252 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

EC we have all heard these particular teams being bandied about for some weeks- the fact of the ,atter is, nobody knows because there are so many variables involved and it is way too premature to speculate either way.
There is still talk that BA could be invovled for either Bris and Syd if their offers are insufficient, because the Fox Sports deal depends on it.
I am from Brisbane, and even I would have a problem with Bris or Syd or any team for that matter being led by BA- it's just wrong.
There are too many pros and cons for every conceivable possibility- the more you dig the more that becomes apparent.

Reply #226300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHA its not good but look at the other sports in Oz.

News ltd own half the NRL and also owns at least 2 clubs. FFA are owned by Lowry who also owns majority of Sydney United and owned Syd outright when the A League started up. AFL pours millons into certain Melbourne clubs.

If BA need to back the Kings to get them back in the League next year then I say do it.

Reply #226306 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Do you honestly want to duplicate the NRL and AFL scenarios under the guise of being 'reform'?

Reply #226311 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

HAHA, I can't honestly believe that this New NBL concept could go ahead if there are not atleast 8 teams entering it next season. What is the benefit if its going to kill the league altogether because no club can afford to enter it. If any changes have to be made, it has to be made to support the survival of the league. Whilst its unfair on players when clubs fold and owners fail to pay them all of their salaries, I am sure they would prefer the league stays the way it is and atleast offer them some opportunity to play rather than lose all opportunities because there will be no league. Its risky but there is something for them to cling to as opposed to no league at all. Either the new league has to attract enough clubs to compete next season or they scrap the new system altogether. Having said all that, I also don't see that having an additional $1.5m is an additional expense. Its not as though clubs have to spend that much extra money on top of the usual expenses. Its money held as insurance just in case the club folds and wages are outstanding. Its money the owners have set aside after what they have already budgeted for in salaries, expenses etc. If raising this extra money is an issue, perhaps the NBL can accept a mortgage over any real estate assets the owners may have.

Reply #226312 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

EC no need to preach to the converted.
Personally I think the new criteria is good, in addition to how the game will be set up, the ATO links to player salaries etc that will be in effect and making the game more accountable to the fans with the protion of the sport they will have to do to keep their licence which will be monitored by the League.
Ofcourse they can't have a League with 3 teams- that was a tongue in cheek joke to get you guys to stop saying it will definately be smack bang 8 teams- it will not- unless only 8 can comply.
The League wants more teams- it is better for jobs and fans.
The League has said quite openly that they will not be reviewing their decision to modify the criteria, so from their end there are no ifs and butts that teams and potential teams can substitute for falling down in one area.
Oh and we will also be having 4x 10 min quarters.

Reply #226314 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Well with that kind of stance from the NBL, then they have to accept the possibility that they have shut the door altogether on the league. I think the criteria is good also but the clubs have to accept it. Wollongong have already said they will not be part of the new league because they cannot afford to. This is a drop out purely based on the new criteria for next season. If too many other teams make the same move, then you can say that the new criteria is killing the league.

Reply #226320 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

The reason Hawks and Spirit wont be in league is that they cant get regular support to their games. Apart from last game Hawks attendances were terrible.
The reason Kings and Bullets and why Taipans had problems poor ownership . Taipans still getting 3-5 k to games with a patched up team. So logical for Nbl to tidy up that part of problem . But key is to do that but to keep 8 at least strong teams and a Bullets and Kings somehow. As Mr Rudd is doing now sometimes have to spend money to try to get the right result. Without really knowing not to sure that Chucky and his team are the right people to handle this. Fingers crossed.

Reply #226326 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Well Chuck has moved into the GM role and the CEO spot has been advertised through a recruitment agency so it's goo that they are looking outside the inbred world of ex players that think management skills are transferred from the court- they are looking at high calibre with a proven track record.
And yes, the Hawks can never really afford to be here, whether there's new criteria or not.
All they have done so far is clear the deadweight holding progress and a competitive product down.

Reply #226328 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

IMO, Hawks and Spirit crowds dropped because each club had the smell of death about them. Start to struggle and the crowds seem to walk away until you're in some finale or desperate plea for community ownership.

Reply #226329 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:42 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754