Cat15
Years ago

NBA ALLSTAR Game change

Hi all,
I thought about this on the allstar weekend, but have only now got around to writing it.
I for one hate the allstar game. The concept is great, the best players playing with and against each other. But, the reality is nothing more than a scripted joke. Hell the whole allstar weekend is starting to resemble WWF and I hate it.

So, in order to make the game real again, I have the following idea (and am wondering what your thoughts are).
Instead of the East Vs West game with players playing for the conference they are currently in (given this can change the day before or after), what if they played for the conference that their College or High School team is in.
That way, the players representing the East are actually from the East, likewise the West. This would give the game some reason to exist (bragging rights) and given the players are representing their home towns and families etc... we just might see a REAL game of basketball where they actually care who wins.
International players can be allocated according to the conference of the team they are first drafted to (regardless of subsequent trades).

Imagine how good it would be to see the comps top ten 10 players actually going 100% against each other.
Surely it would be better than the NBA Jam version we currently see??!!
Thoughts?

Topic #19235 | Report this topic

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Meh.

I think you're missing the concept; at least, the concept as it exists in the current times. It's not meant to be a legitimate, competitive game of basketball in the regular season sense.

Reply #227780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will never be that competitive, that get paid too much, and owners dont want there investments hurt

Reply #227796 | Report this post

If you want a competitive all star game, get some from the 70s/80s.

Reply #227801 | Report this post

Years ago

With the representing college/high school idea, the fact that not every great player who played college and high school basketball is actually from their college's or high school's location would really diminish its importance IMO (although people seem to be really loyal to their colleges in the US - Kenny Smith on the most recent All-Star Weekend is an example of this). For example:

- Dwyane Wade, a Chicago, Illinois native that went to college at Marquette in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

- Carmelo Anthony, a Baltimore, Maryland native that went to college at Syracuse in Syracuse, New York, as well as attending Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Virginia.

- Kevin Durant, a Washington, D.C. native who went to college at Texas in Austin, Texas, as well as also attending Oak Hill Academy.

And I'm sure there's plenty of other examples.

Reply #227845 | Report this post

Dunks  
Years ago

Its a showcase... thats it.

Reply #227927 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:54 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754