Alamo
Years ago

Anstey gets off....

The National Basketball League has announced that Melbourne Tigers' player Chris Anstey has been found guilty on a charge of 'Striking  with shoulder' by the NBL Tribunal but the resulting penalty of a one-match suspended sentence will still see him eligible to play in Wednesday night's Game Four of the NBL Grand Final series.
Anstey was initially cited by the NBL on the more serious charge of 'Striking  with elbow' after NBL General Manager Chuck Harmison viewed video footage of an incident with South Dragons' player Rhys Carter in the third quarter of the Tigers' Grand Final Game Three against the Dragons at Hisense Arena on Sunday 8 March.
During the course of the hearing however NBL Tribunal Chairman Ken Madsen determined that the charge should be downgraded to the less serious charge of 'Striking  with shoulder', on which the Tribunal subsequently found Anstey guilty.
The Tribunal imposed a one-match suspended sentence on Anstey, meaning he will be free to play in Game Four of the Grand Final series on Wednesday 11 March at the State Netball Hockey Centre.
The Tribunal's full finding is detailed below.
Charge/s dated 9 March 2009  Chris Anstey
Hearing was held on Monday 9 March 2009. Anstey pleaded 'Not Guilty'.
Finding/s
There is some doubt whether the contact of substance was with the shoulder or the elbow. Accordingly, I have found Anstey guilty of the lesser charge of 'Striking (with shoulder)'.
Penalty/ penalties
Anstey is banned from the next game of the Melbourne Tigers.
However, given that this is his first appearance before the Tribunal in a long career and his substantial contribution to the League, the one-game ban is suspended until 10 March 2010 when it will expire. Should Chris Anstey come before the Tribunal again between now and 10 March 2010 and be found guilty of a physical offence, then, in addition to any penalty affixed at that time, the one-game ban now suspended will be invoked also.

Ken Madsen
Chairman, NBL Tribunal

Topic #19270 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a joke..... Is this in the games best interest?

Reply #228324 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Beat me to the punch...

Tell me you couldn't see this outcome coming? Game 4 would have been a non-event if Anstey didn't get to play and that would have spelt disaster for the GF series.

The current NBL would be hoping that a close and drawn out 5 game series may hjelp pave the way for the new edition next season and raise greater awareness and emotion - particulary in Melbourne.

Reply #228325 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

suprise, suprise...

Reply #228326 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I'm just shocked that this is his FIRST appearance before the tribunal !! Has noone had the balls to report him before ?!!?

Reply #228336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey gets off? Half his luck...

I got off last night too but didnt think there was a need to start a post on it.

Reply #228353 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

He should have been reported earlier this season for his intentional hit on Maher (who was meant to be Davidson), in which case he would be suspended for the next finals match. It would have made the deciding game a romp for the Dragons though. Much better to see the two Victorian teams come out and hopefully clobber each other

Reply #228355 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

POP QUIZ.

This is a ....
A. Farce
B. Joke
C. Sham
D. All of the above

Pick one.

Reply #228365 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Perhaps the league officials were also mindful of the Cristiano debacle in the A-League GF.

Reply #228366 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

I find it strange that nobody has brought up the point of suspending the sentence until March 2010.

Will any suspended sentences still apply under the New NBL? Or will this be no penalty whatsoever and only be a suspended sentence until the end of the Finals series?

Reply #228372 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP7ytxAsvYw&eurl=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=676337176&feature=player_embedded

apparently this guy doesn't like Anstey

Reply #228381 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

Anstey is a law to himself lets see him jump up on the seat this year and pump his fist at the crowd when they loose, also he may struggle with that knee.

Reply #228384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lukn4atitle - the word you're looking for is lose, not loose. At least he's had the chance to jump up and pump his fist after winning championships - have you?

Reply #228406 | Report this post

B Fresh  
Years ago

I was pretty indifferent to Anstey before this incident, kinda saw him as one of those players that everyone loves to hate (kinda like another famous aussie baller). But this incident changes everything.

The only good thing to come out of this is that the Dragons probably just had 90% of the other teams' supporters get on board!

Reply #228417 | Report this post

Dillon#1  
Years ago

It's a sad day for the NBL. In the end it comes down to a struggling league that would allow any antics if it meant a scrap of media attention during the finals. And here i was thinking the players skills and the integrity of the league is what should hold the media's interest. It really hurts to say this and to watch it unfold, but I see this as one of the recent key incidents in the begining of the crumbling of the league's integrity. We may not have the money we used to or the sponsorship, the teams or even the consistent fan following but until today i thought we at least had our integrity. A sad day indeed...

Reply #228429 | Report this post

slow death  
Years ago

First the A League GF umpiring debacle, now this.......

Lol shoulder contact.......

An absolute shambles......

The worse thing is the tribunal was damn predictable, we all knew the NBL would do everything in their power for this result.

Hope the Dragons smash em tomorrow night.

Hope the new NBL clears out the dead wood and gives us a product thats worth following.

Reply #228434 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:43 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754