Isaac
Years ago

Ballinger off to good start in NZ NBL

36er Adam Ballinger had a 20 point outing in 40 minutes (10 minute quarters) on debut in the NZ NBL as his Pistons beat the Cougars despite Tim Behrendorff's 19 and 10 and Paul Henare's seven assists and seven steals. The Pistons other import is former NBLer Justin Bailey who had 13 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists and 6 steals.

Elsewhere, Dillon Boucher had 18/18/10 (!) in a loss to the Harbour Heat.

Don't have time to look for other NBLers in the NZ results but someone else might want to take a look - head here to read more.

Topic #19330 | Report this topic

Herka  
Years ago

Justin Bailey, it said on the NBL website that he played for Perth in the NBL. can anyone tell what year or years he was with the cats. I can only remeber David Bailey (2005)?

Reply #228979 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Corey Webster went off and showed everyone why he should have got game-time for the NZ Breakers. He hit 33 points( 10/20 FG, 4/8 3-point, 9/12 FT)
Thats amazing for a player who is 19 years old. I know its only 1 game, but I wouldn't be suprised if teams from the NewBL come looking for him. Andrej Lemanis should have played him more, especially when Phill Jones and Penney were struggling to score later in the season.

Reply #228999 | Report this post

Dream Machine  
Years ago

Im pretty sure Bailey was that very short and quick point guard who got caught smoking the good stuff and was cut.

Reply #229003 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That was David Bailey (Perth). Justin Bailey was that quiet-seeming guy that played for the Razorbacks, I think?

Reply #229008 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Yep, averaged 15/3/3.

Reply #229012 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Webster is good but not NBL good (yet). Big diff in dropping 33 in NZ league and dropping 33 in Aus NBL.
He will be one to watch out for in the near future as is Tom Abercrombie (Hammercrombie), tha boys got hops. I think Lemanis used our developement players well all season and gave them all a good chance to get out there and prove their worth to the club

Reply #229041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bradshaw seems to have dropped off the radar in Spain?

Reply #229068 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Mystro, I understand there is a big difference between the NBL(NZ) and the NBL(Aus), but he was the equal-leading scorer in round 1. He scored more points than Ballinger, Behrendorff and Casey Frank who are all well-established NBL players. He also had 8 boards.
'I think Lemanis used our developement players well all season and gave them all a good chance to get out there and prove their worth to the club'
-He hardly played Webster, even though he had played for the NZ Tall Blacks against the Aussies and scored 9 points. He used Abercrombie way too sparingly. IMO Abercrombie did a better job than Henare. He didn't go to his bench enough--That was highlighted by the fact that mid-way through the season guys like Bruton, Penney etc. suffered injuries because they were being overused.

Reply #229099 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

SKUX101, Tim Behrendorff thanks you for calling him an established NBL player!

Reply #229115 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The team went 9 deep and then had to find time for the kids too - not always going to happen. Would like to see Burdon get minutes too, but someone like Winitana (in the ten) was already underplayed.

I think Lemanis played the development players about as much as any other coach did theirs. Tanner missed out on minutes but towards the end it seemed like Abercrombie was more or less the tenth man anyway.

Give Webster time - will get his chances I'm sure. Will always be hard when you're an undersized shooting guard, looking for chances behind Penney, Jones, Bruton and Abercrombie in the scoring guard stocks.

Reply #229130 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Isaac, Burdon may be good, but he doesn't have the potential as Webster..Period!

Reply #229249 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Webster has backed up with a 38 point game - very impressive.

Reply #229415 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754