knox_team
Years ago

NBL for the Hunter Region, Wellington or Tasmania?

In the news article about McLeod coaching the Hawks it said applications had come from the Hunter region, Wellington and Tasmania. Does anyone know anything about those bids, in particular the Hunter region or if they have any realistic chance of being included in the new league?

Topic #19538 | Report this topic

Hunter  
Years ago

I can't see Hunter getting a bid since they only lasted 2 years under the old NBL. The NBL will want teams that can last and not just one and done type situations.

Reply #231350 | Report this post

Copez  
Years ago

call them the newcastle falcons to start with, or alternatively have an AIS team that alternates home games between canberra and newcastle. Tassy would be a good option too i reckon, and apparently wellington is the sports capital of NZ so all have their merits.

Reply #231363 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

they all put in non-conforming bids - meaning they just want to be a part of the new league's plans at some stage.

They will remain in the loop and if they get the funds, support, bank guarantee etc - they will be in a good position.

Reply #231364 | Report this post

David Marshall  
Years ago

I know some representatives of the Newcastle Basketball Association attended one of the prospective participants' meetings, but I wasn't aware of any bid being lodged, non-compliant or otherwise. It was my understanding they went simply to get an idea of the costs involved.

Reply #231365 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

Tasmania should have a team. Call them Tassie Devils or something.. And so should Sydney

Reply #231376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering Wellington owner Nick Mills only rated his side a 20% chance of being included in an article last week, I think it's fair to rule them out.

http://linky.com.au/g4t0d

As for Hunter, I remember they said they were only going to BA's information session to get an idea of what they'd require for future seasons, rather than 2009/10.

Reply #231381 | Report this post

curious  
Years ago

AFAIK. NO EOI from Tassie despite the NBL saying they have submitted.

Reply #231388 | Report this post

publicenemy#1  
Years ago

Clint Dogg put in the bid for hunter ... He stated that he was fed up of being on the dole and needed his old job back. True Stor-E

Reply #231433 | Report this post

Homer  
Years ago

Tassie should be in the NBL.
Hunter blew their chances.
New Zealand should be considered after all Aussie bids are considered.
Only problem wqith Tassie though is the three basketball zones around Hobart, Launceston and Devonport all want a team and refuse to support a team in any of the other's areas.
Until they all work together. Tassie will struggle.

Reply #231531 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:00 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754